Government Savings Bank Atm Charge?

Hi, does anyone know if the Government Savings bank has also introduced the 150bt fee for foreign ATM transactions? I know that Thai Farmers Bank and Ayudhya Bank are still free but not sure about this one

Thanks

Hi, does anyone know if the Government Savings bank has also introduced the 150bt fee for foreign ATM transactions? I know that Thai Farmers Bank and Ayudhya Bank are still free but not sure about this one

Thanks

From what i've read on many forums the GSB are not charging the 150 Baht ATM fee.According to reports they are not part of the 'Group'(Thai Bankers Association) that first imposed the charges.Unfortunately most of the other banks are members of the TBA.As for the Thai Farmers Bank(Kasikorn) then some ex-pats on this forum reported yesterday that they had started to implement the charge.Ayudhya are not charging but are apparantly using the Dynamic Currency Conversion(DCC) which apparantly when converted could work out more than 150 Baht per transaction.There are notices on the Ayudhya ATM's stating they are using the DCC system.

Edited by barhopper

Government Savings Bank (pink color sign) still is NOT charging the 150 baht ATM fee on foreign cards.

However, in using their GSB ATM at the Asoke BTS station today, their ATM machine would NOT accept my U.S. MasterCard-logo (Cirrus) debit card. It did, however, accept a U.S. Visa debit card.

Separately, Thai Farmers Bank, otherwise known as Kasikorn (green color sign), began charging the 150 baht fee for the first time yesterday (Saturday). So Kasikorn is no longer fee free.

Bank of Ayudhya appears to still be fee free. However, Ayudhya has begun using something called Dynamic Currency Conversion for MasterCard logo cards from U.S. $ or Euro accounts. That method is not a fee, but it does result in Ayudhya giving those transactions a very bad exchange rate.

So at present, using Visa logo cards at Ayudhya would seem the better approach. Using MasterCards at Ayudhya can end up being more expensive that the other banks' 150 baht fee.

This buggers up NW cash card holders cirrus mastercard the same seems to apply at BAAC where my cirrus was refused i still await a report from this bank for visa holders as i'm sure its fee free be interesting to see their forex rate.

I mentioned in a prior post having done an ATM withdrawal from Government Savings Bank using my U.S. MasterCard logo debit card. Finally got the exchange results today. Here's the detail.

1000 baht withdrawal on Sunday, May 17, about 2 pm Thai time

1st charge to my U.S. account: $29.03

2nd charge to my U.S. account: 29 cents (which I believe is the 1% VISA fee my bank always shows separately)

Exchange rate based only on $29.03: 34.44 baht to the $, which was good for that day.

Exchange rate based on $29.32 (the $29.03 + 29 cents): $34.10, which is not so good.

For this particular U.S. bank account, because they reimburse for all those 1% fees at the end of the month, my real rate is the 34.44, which was/is pretty good for the recent exchange figures...

And...as yet, of course, no 150 baht withdrawal fee from GSB...

But...as previously mentioned, their ATMs DO NOT accept MasterCard logo cards.

I mentioned above that GSB ATMs only take Visa logo cards, not MasterCard logo cards...

I had a photo showing their ATM network affiliations, but was delayed to upload it. So here it is now. The Visa symbol is obvious. But I don't recognize whose the other symbol is (the blue and red swashes of color), or is that some kind of Visa logo?

post-53787-1242830251_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of the GSB currency counter and ATM located on the second floor of the Asoke BTS station, just before you go down the escalator toward the adjoining MRT station.

post-53787-1242830312_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
I just tried to withdraw from a GSB ATM and there was a 150 baht fee; there wasn't from the same ATM 2 weeks ago... So guessing they have just brought it in... :)

Yeah, GSB are now charging. Aeon are still free, and it's possible that Bank of Ayudhya (the yellow one) are also free for UK visa card users (although I cannot confirm this).

Edited by thecatman