Nationwide & Other Uk Fee Free Banks Or Cards.

However, I am wondering whether Currencies Direct is better as on the face of things there is no fee. The problem is that I think you would have to buy baht at the UK end and there is some ambiguity about what the exchange rate would be. The section of their website dealing with exchange rates says £1 = 52.2 baht (Bangkok Bank 52.4 mid rate today - so not bad). But if you use the quick currency converter on the same site you get a rate of 51.7 - not so good. I've e-mailed to ask which rate applies.

http://www.currenciesdirect.com/uk/foreign...arpayments.aspx

Has anyone tried this yet? seems like a good option if you have a Thai & UK bank account.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone using the Post Office credit card ?

Do you get the option for Visa or is the only choice Mastercard ?

Visa exchange rates haves always been reasonable, does Mastercard match Visa exchange rates ?

I'm affrayed its Mastercard only, the exchange rates are very similar to visa the main problem is you can't get free ATM use with Mastercard only with visa at GSB bank.

I'm not sure if Mastercard at Ayudaya is still free for UK cards?

You could however go inside the bank for an over the counter withdrawal with your passport this works with debit cards so should work with a credit card.

Post Office® Credit Card benefits:

• 0% on balance transfers1 for first 12 months2
  • 0% on purchases for the first 3 months
  • 0% commission on purchases overseas
  • 0% again on balance transfers for 5 months1 on the month of your 1st and 2nd anniversary
  • 24/7 helpline, and online account management
  • More benefits

16.9% APR Typical (variable)

Post Office® MasterCard® is provided by Bank of Ireland.

12.98% balance transfer fee applies

2Transfer must be made within 3 months of account opening

However, I am wondering whether Currencies Direct is better as on the face of things there is no fee. The problem is that I think you would have to buy baht at the UK end and there is some ambiguity about what the exchange rate would be. The section of their website dealing with exchange rates says £1 = 52.2 baht (Bangkok Bank 52.4 mid rate today - so not bad). But if you use the quick currency converter on the same site you get a rate of 51.7 - not so good. I've e-mailed to ask which rate applies.

http://www.currenciesdirect.com/uk/foreign...arpayments.aspx

Has anyone tried this yet? seems like a good option if you have a Thai & UK bank account.

Still no answer to my e-mail re rates. Another poster says it is possible to transfer in sterling using this route, which would be very good. If that were the case or the lower rate shown applied, this seems better than any of the other solutions people have proposed.

Edited by citizen33

Isn't this an awful lot of effort to save a very small amount? we are only talking about three quid - I get round all this by having a foreign cash account and baht account with Ayudhya with card - just withdraw for 20 baht if at another bank or nothing at Ayudhya. I keep a NW card for emergencies etc.

Isn't this an awful lot of effort to save a very small amount? we are only talking about three quid - I get round all this by having a foreign cash account and baht account with Ayudhya with card - just withdraw for 20 baht if at another bank or nothing at Ayudhya. I keep a NW card for emergencies etc.

If it's such an insignificant amount to you maybe I could PM you my bank details and you could deposit 150Bt into my account 2/3 times a week..........thought not, and why not....because you don't have to.

This is exactly the same, nobody wants to be paying any fees that they don't have to if they can help it.

Edited by thecatman

If it's such an insignificant amount to you maybe I could PM you my bank details and you could deposit 150Bt into my account 2/3 times a week..........thought not, and why not....because you don't have to.

This is exactly the same, nobody wants to be paying any fees that they don't have to if they can help it.

No offence intended - why 2/3 times a week? why not set up an account and transfer? sorry I dont get it!

No offence intended - why 2/3 times a week? why not set up an account and transfer? sorry I dont get it!

Well, the thing is, on a personal level I've probably had it good for too long. With Nationwide in the UK I paid no fees whatsoever for withdrawals abroad (their exchange rate is aso very favourable). Now, all of a sudden the Thai banks are charging this ATM withdrawal fee, and Nationwide are going to start passing on the 1% visa charge on withdrawals abroad (which they, up until now have swallowed). So a withdrawal of 15,000Bt that used to cost me nothing in charges is soon going to cost me 6 pounds via the ATM.

You are right, there are cheaper alternatives, and these I will be/am looking into.

The problem with transfering a larger amount over to my Thai account right now is that, I believe the pound will start to strengthen against the baht very soon. Therefore, any money saved by having funds in a Thai bank (and not having to pay ATM fees) may well be lost in the change in exchange rates if/when then pound gets stronger.

All good fun.

Edited by thecatman

Well, the thing is, on a personal level I've probably had it good for too long. With Nationwide in the UK I paid no fees whatsoever for withdrawals abroad (their exchange rate is aso very favourable). Now, all of a sudden the Thai banks are charging this ATM withdrawal fee, and Nationwide are going to start passing on the 1% visa charge on withdrawals abroad (which they, up until now have swallowed). So a withdrawal of 15,000Bt that used to cost me nothing in charges is soon going to cost me 6 pounds via the ATM.

You are right, there are cheaper alternatives, and these I will be/am looking into.

The problem with transfering a larger amount over to my Thai account right now is that, I believe the pound will start to strengthen against the baht very soon. Therefore, any money saved by having money in a Thai bank (and not having to pay ATM fees) may well be lost in the change in exchange rates if/when then pound gets stronger.

All good fun.

Hi - yes I get that... but why not open a Foreign Exchange Account? I have one - money is kept in Pounds - you transfer when you want to into your Baht account (takes milliseconds). No charge for withdrawl?

Hope you are right about GBP/THB exchange as I have a big transfer to make (from my foreign exchange account to baht account) very soon.

The problem with transfering a larger amount over to my Thai account right now is that, I believe the pound will start to strengthen against the baht very soon. Therefore, any money saved by having money in a Thai bank (and not having to pay ATM fees) may well be lost in the change in exchange rates if/when then pound gets stronger.

All good fun.

Hi - yes I get that... but why not open a Foreign Exchange Account? I have one - money is kept in Pounds - you transfer when you want to into your Baht account (takes milliseconds). No charge for withdrawl?

Hope you are right about GBP/THB exchange as I have a big transfer to make (from my foreign exchange account to baht account) very soon.

Still no answer to my e-mail re rates. Another poster says it is possible to transfer in sterling using this route, which would be very good. If that were the case or the lower rate shown applied, this seems better than any of the other solutions people have proposed.

I telephoned Currencies Direct and was offered a rate of B51.9 today for a transfer from a UK to Thai bank account with no fee. This seems to me an underwhelming rate, given that the Bangkok Bank's mid-market rate today is well over B53. So despite no fee this isn't as good as the old NW deal. The employee told me that Sterling transfers to a Thai account are not possible as they make their cash on the currency exchange. Larger amounts (several K) may attract a better exchange rate.

I telephoned Currencies Direct and was offered a rate of B51.9 today for a transfer from a UK to Thai bank account with no fee. This seems to me an underwhelming rate, given that the Bangkok Bank's mid-market rate today is well over B53. So despite no fee this isn't as good as the old NW deal. The employee told me that Sterling transfers to a Thai account are not possible as they make their cash on the currency exchange. Larger amounts (several K) may attract a better exchange rate.

I transfer, regularly, between my Nat West account and my Ayudhya foreign exchange account in GBP then I transfer FOR FREE between that account and my THB account - then I take out of ATMs FOR FREE unless it's another bank - for example Bangkok Bank charge me 20 Baht. NO CHARGE for exchange rates - you were mis-informed. Forget everything else and go to your local Thai Bank - trust me I am right on this one and just trying to help - I do it all the time - up to you!

Dear Mr Chiangmaifun

I think you can see for yourself that the effort & time that as gone into the many threads on this subject as been about a little more than just avoiding this £3 bank fee which i do want to avoid if possible, you yourself have confirmed an idea (discussed before) for others to share on TV along with the many other general options people have to get their hard earned money into Thailand.

I think your well out of order flaming this thread,as i & others believe were not so selfish & share our ideas & advise for others to benefit as well as ourselves after all isn't that known as networking the reason you like i are on here in the first place, but we must remember your the smart arse one here that knows it all already so i give you 10 brownie points for that :)

I hope you get it now.

Dear Mr Chiangmaifun

I think you can see for yourself that the effort & time that as gone into the many threads on this subject as been about a little more than just avoiding this £3 bank fee which i do want to avoid if possible, you yourself have confirmed an idea (discussed before) for others to share on TV along with the many other general options people have to get their hard earned money into Thailand.

I think your well out of order flaming this thread,as i & others believe were not so selfish & share our ideas & advise for others to benefit as well as ourselves after all isn't that known as networking the reason you like i are on here in the first place, but we must remember your the smart arse one here that knows it all already so i give you 10 brownie points for that :)

I hope you get it now.

What flaming? this reaction is so dumb... I was just pointing out the way to save your little pennies - I can see by your post how clever you are haha

Dear Mr Chiangmaifun

I hope you get it now.

What flaming? this reaction is so dumb... I was just pointing out the way to save your little pennies - I can see by your post how clever you are haha

If you were so smart you would be using the Halifax online to save a further £10.50 (fee £9.50) & be able to do it from the comfort of home, but your loaded so a tenner is better in the Nat West coffers than yours, your idea is not new you also forgot to mention the charge Thai banks make for receiving your sterling deposit its a fine way of transferring but the idea of this thread is not to be a smart arse no it all that you are.

Tell me why do you mislead with that term Free.

From the Nat west on Transfers

You pay £20 a transfer. The overseas bank will also make a charge. You can choose to pay all the charges, to pay only our charges or to have the recipient to pay all the charges.

Dear Mr Chiangmaifun

I hope you get it now.

If you were so smart you would be using the Halifax online to save a further £10.50 (fee £9.50) & be able to do it from the comfort of home, but your loaded so a tenner is better in the Nat West coffers than yours, your idea is not new you also forgot to mention the charge Thai banks make for receiving your sterling deposit its a fine way of transferring but the idea of this thread is not to be a smart arse no it all that you are.

You pay £20 a transfer. The overseas bank will also make a charge. You can choose to pay all the charges, to pay only our charges or to have the recipient to pay all the charges.

Well... yes that's true... got to hand it to you on that one there is a £20 fee but as I transfer several thousand at one time I didn't consider that a big issue and there is NO (please read carefully) NO charge for incoming GBP transfers and NO fees for transfer to THB and NO fees for withdrawl at ATM.

I think your attack is completely unwarranted as I was trying to help as I live here and do this regularly - and your comment that I was a 'no' (sic) it all reveals quite alot about you.

I can only offer advice - I transfer regularly - small amounts I grant you - but I pay the £20 (as my new friend pointed out) but spread over £10,000 its not much and does save on all other charges - I even get a small savings % on the residue in my foreign account. I reiterate - one off small charge NO withdraw charges NO incoming charges from Thai Bank

Apologies if anyone thought I was being anything but helpful.

Dear Mr Chiangmaifun

I hope you get it now.

Well... yes that's true... got to hand it to you on that one there is a £20 fee but as I transfer several thousand at one time I didn't consider that a big issue and there is NO (please read carefully) NO charge for incoming GBP transfers and NO fees for transfer to THB and NO fees for withdrawl at ATM.

I think your attack is completely unwarranted as I was trying to help as I live here and do this regularly - and your comment that I was a 'no' (sic) it all reveals quite alot about you.

I can only offer advice - I transfer regularly - small amounts I grant you - but I pay the £20 (as my new friend pointed out) but spread over £10,000 its not much and does save on all other charges - I even get a small savings % on the residue in my foreign account. I reiterate - one off small charge NO withdraw charges NO incoming charges from Thai Bank

Apologies if anyone thought I was being anything but helpful.

This thread is all about talking other people's financial situation into account, do you really think every expat can move £10,000 at a time what about the guys that rely on their monthly pensions whether back home in the UK or here they have to spend that to live & are not in a position to save it up to save a bank fee.

Its certainly reveals a lot about you it shows what you are a selfish no thought for others with your don't get attitude now get back in ya bubble it seems to work for you.

Foreign exchange account?? I haven't heard about these/haven't had to look into it before now.

I have a basic Kasikorn account with online banking, can I open a foreign exchange account with them?? If so, do you know if I can do it online?? I'm asking, but I'll also go have a looky now...Cheers. :)

I transfer, regularly, between my Nat West account and my Ayudhya foreign exchange account in GBP then I transfer FOR FREE between that account and my THB account - then I take out of ATMs FOR FREE unless it's another bank - for example Bangkok Bank charge me 20 Baht. NO CHARGE for exchange rates - you were mis-informed. Forget everything else and go to your local Thai Bank - trust me I am right on this one and just trying to help - I do it all the time - up to you!

Am I being obtuse or are you just repeating what others have said ad infinitum - that you can pay a UK bank about £20 for a Swift transfer? How much does Nat West charge in your scenario? Have you really been following the thread? We've already established that Halifax will do a Swift transfer for a lot less than Nat West (£9.50) and are trying to improve on that. I'm not sure what you are writing about when you say I was misinformed re charges 'for exchange rates' - the point there is that a bad exchange rate costs more than some transfer charges.. Regarding your more general point about the thread, £3 a hit over a long period mounts up and if this thread gives a better solution it is worth spending a bit of time to get the answer.

Foreign exchange account?? I haven't heard about these/haven't had to look into it before now.

I have a basic Kasikorn account with online banking, can I open a foreign exchange account with them?? If so, do you know if I can do it online?? I'm asking, but I'll also go have a looky now...Cheers. :)

yes you can open an account which will accept Uk Pounds and leave them there for as long as you like and transfer into a Thai Baht account when you feel the rate is right for you... although I'm getting hammered on this thread I hope this helps...

Am I being obtuse or are you just repeating what others have said ad infinitum - that you can pay a UK bank about £20 for a Swift transfer? How much does Nat West charge in your scenario? Have you really been following the thread? We've already established that Halifax will do a Swift transfer for a lot less than Nat West (£9.50) and are trying to improve on that. I'm not sure what you are writing about when you say I was misinformed re charges 'for exchange rates' - the point there is that a bad exchange rate costs more than some transfer charges.. Regarding your more general point about the thread, £3 a hit over a long period mounts up and if this thread gives a better solution it is worth spending a bit of time to get the answer.

I was talking about transferring Pounds into an account which accepts Pounds - not transferring into Baht. The cost is £20 straight then transfer at your convenience into Baht - some people have found this helpful I'm sorry some if you feel it is not. It is my experience that many people do not know of this feature (thecatman for instance) resulting in no ATM charges and no exchange rate charges. Hope this clarifies.

I was talking about transferring Pounds into an account which accepts Pounds - not transferring into Baht. The cost is £20 straight then transfer at your convenience into Baht - some people have found this helpful I'm sorry some if you feel it is not. It is my experience that many people do not know of this feature (thecatman for instance) resulting in no ATM charges and no exchange rate charges. Hope this clarifies.

But almost any Thai account will accept a transfer in pounds - at a small charge (with the exchange then done at that end). Haven't you ever done that? How much does your special FE account cost? I really think you need to read some past threads to get up to speed.

Edited by citizen33

But almost any Thai account will accept a transfer in pounds - at a small charge. Haven't you ever done that? How much does your special FE account cost? I really think you need to read some past threads to get up to speed.

Maybe Im confused then or are we talking at cross purposes? I mean transfer in Pounds and KEEP in pounds i.e. not tranefr into Baht - no charge

The best of all options is to try & earn your money in Thai baht then not only do you avoid the 150 baht scam fee you also get around the exchange rates.

I'm half way there but its not easy.

But almost any Thai account will accept a transfer in pounds - at a small charge. Haven't you ever done that? How much does your special FE account cost? I really think you need to read some past threads to get up to speed.

Maybe Im confused then or are we talking at cross purposes? I mean transfer in Pounds and KEEP in pounds i.e. not tranefr into Baht - no charge

Yes, you can do that, but - as your earlier post says - you then have the problem of getting the money into baht later. As this only costs a nominal sum if you transfer Sterling into an ordinary Thai current account, many people using transfers do it like that. That is to say they remit from the UK in GBPs and get the currency exchange done by the Thai bank at a better rate than is available via a UK bank. The problem we are trying to get around is the cost of the UK Swift transfer, not the receiving fee. More generally the NW card gave a better solution all round both in terms of fees and exchange rate, and we are looking for an alternative at a similar price.

Yes, you can do that, but - as your earlier post says - you then have the problem of getting the money into baht later. As this only costs a nominal sum if you transfer Sterling into an ordinary Thai current account, many people using transfers do it like that. That is to say they remit from the UK in GBPs and get the currency exchange done by the Thai bank at a better rate than is available via a UK bank. The problem we are trying to get around is the cost of the UK Swift transfer, not the receiving fee. More generally the NW card gave a better solution all round both in terms of fees and exchange rate, and we are looking for an alternative at a similar price.

Ok I'll leave it at that... the good thing, in my view, is that I can plan and choose daily when to transfer into Baht. Anyway this is for those who may find it useful - cut from the banks web page - open with $500 (£333) and keep balance of $500 (£333) and NO charges AND transfer when you feel rate is right for you - AND you get the TT better rate AND no charges at ATMs. Here is the cut:

Current2,000.00 500.00 Savings (Individual)500.00 500.00 Savings (Juristic Person)5,000.00 5,000.00 Fixed Deposit (Month)5,000.00 2,000.00 Fixed Deposit (Day)Individual500,000.00 None Juristic Person3,000,000.00 None

Remark*

- USD10 charge will be applied if the average balance per month is less than specified amount

(Non Resident account only)

- Minimum amount is subject to change due to related regulations.

Hope it helps at least some of you :) choc dee to all

Ok I'll leave it at that... the good thing, in my view, is that I can plan and choose daily when to transfer into Baht. Anyway this is for those who may find it useful - cut from the banks web page - open with $500 (£333) and keep balance of $500 (£333) and NO charges AND transfer when you feel rate is right for you - AND you get the TT better rate AND no charges at ATMs. Here is the cut:

Current2,000.00 500.00 Savings (Individual)500.00 500.00 Savings (Juristic Person)5,000.00 5,000.00 Fixed Deposit (Month)5,000.00 2,000.00 Fixed Deposit (Day)Individual500,000.00 None Juristic Person3,000,000.00 None

Remark*

- USD10 charge will be applied if the average balance per month is less than specified amount

You couldn't post the link to the website could you?? I'd like to find out more about this.

Cheers.

Remark*

You couldn't post the link to the website could you?? I'd like to find out more about this.

Cheers.

Hope it helps...

http://www.krungsri.com/en/ourservice-cons...st.aspx?cid=124

All Thai banks make a charge of 0.25% if you change to baht on arrival to your Thai bank,on £10,000 this works out at 1325 baht.

You say when you hold it in a foreign currency Thai account & exchange to baht as required that they don't charge? I find this hard to believe & would like to see the exchange rate's they give (hidden fee's) I think if you check there will be a 0.25% charge somewhere in there Thai's don't do anything for nothing especially the banks.

Any past posters on this subject care to come back & confirm that this is totally free at the Thai end.

Edited by Mali1964

From the FCD account inward charge is clear 0.25% max 500 baht so anything over around 400,000 baht is free but there clearly is a charge.

I transferred 10,000 into my account... result? 10,000 in my account - no charge - what can I say?