Biscuit Jointer

Gippy

I have been around a lot of tool shops in Bangkok over the past few months but don't remember ever seeing a biscuit jointer for sale. Does anybody know if they are available in Thailand?

Kind of thing that True Value shops might have but I've never seen any around Pattaya.

So what is biscuit jointing?

Biscuit jointing is a very quick and easy way to join sections of timber together. It is ideal for situations where a number of planks need to be joined side by side to make a wide board (e.g. for a table top), or for when you need to help fix and align parts of a project as you build it. It is a quick way to achieve many joints that traditionally may have been achieved with dowels, or loose tenons or laths inserted into routed slots. It also allows very good alignment of mating surfaces - even if the pieces of timber to be joined are not uniform in thickness, while allowing a small amount of latteral movement between the surfaces for final positioning.

I was just about to move this to the cooking forum .......... :)

I doubt that asking for a 'Biscuit Jointer' is going to get you far (other than possibly the loony bin), you will need pictures of what you want and diagrams of what Biscuit Jointing is :D

Good pictures here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit_joiner

Mmmm, biscuits. I actually want the tool to help build a kitchen cabinet for my new oven so I can bake some biscuits :-)

I think I got my US and Euro terms mixed up, it's either a biscuit cutter or plate joiner. I think my only hope would be to find somebody on here who already has one, I have checked wood street and True Value but will try again next time I go there. I have found that asking for some basic woodworking tools in Bangkok usually does result in a look that says I belong in the loony bin, followed by the staff saying they will order what I want even though it's obvious they have no idea what it is!