Common Everday Pricing Examples

Fishenough

Could we have pinned topic with examples of fair price points for different items?

Only having six months living in Thailand, and being exceedingly cheap, always want to ensure we are paying a fair price for our purchases. For example, I would like to buy a stone or concrete yard furniture set and haven't yet been able to find (by asking around) an excepted price; or ball park figure. - Can't stand paying too much, but (please) don't want this thread turning into another 'complain about Farang pricing' rant.

I'll start with market price examples, of course these vary by season, and I don't mean Tops market. :)

Price per Kilo

• Apple 40B or >
  • Banana 15b
  • Ground Beef 120B or >
  • Bell Pepper 60 or <
  • Ground black pepper 200B
  • Peanuts 10-25B
  • Cabbage 10-20B
  • Whole Chicken 50B
  • Chili's 30-100 (small mountain grown ones are by far the best to cook with)
  • Chili Powder 50B
  • Cucumber 15B
  • Dill 80
  • Eggs 80B doz
  • Garlic ~25B
  • Lettuce 10B or > (the reason I want to share this - was quoted same day 100baht to 10 baht for a Kilo of lettuce)
  • Limes 30 for 150B
  • Mushrooms ~130 (nice big and fresh)
  • Onion 10-15B
  • Pork (Shoulder) ~105B
  • Tomato 5-10B
  • Shrimp 160 or > but I only buy the bigger ones

Best Regards

Edited by PeaceBlondie
correct typo

Looks like you mostly have food products on your list. Go to Makro and look around. Their prices are usually decent and they are all marked. If you want to find a cheap market, go to Muang Mai and not to one of the many smaller markets located around town, including Wararot. Most produce prices are seasonal.

You've good price list! However, prices during the hot season in CM can be pretty deceptive!

For some items like banana, I don't buy them by weight rahter I get them 4B each at Tanin market.

Mango (Nam dok mai) 40B / kg

Other kind of ripen mango 20-25B / kg (nicer than Nam dock mai too!)

Tomatoes can be cheaper than 10B / kg , Provided that you are at the right time at Doi Kham shop in the CMU. It's only cheap during this hot season.

Limes are a bit expensive and no good at this time of the year

At Doi kham shop sometimes prices of vegies and other goodies are crazy.

Eggplant 10B each

Box of fresh herbs of most kind 10B each

Also agree with "getgoin" above, Muang Mai market offers fresh produce at low prices but you have to look around and willing to sacrifice convenience.

Don't forget Lychee is in season next month so it's real cheap and refreshing!

Edited by Maccheroncini

• 5 months later...

Was hoping this thread would grow, if anything as to help newcomers to fell confident about normal pricing; not special pricing. With so many concerned about duel pricing had though this list would grow.

CM Easy Shop - Beer Laos, 930 Baht/24

Beer Laos Dark 1490 baht

Still haven't found the right/nice stone furniture set, but will stick with asking locals what a fair price is.

Edited by Fishenough

I would suggest to those that post, where ever possible be specific on the units.... kilos, grams , 6 pak, case, carton , etc.

would want to be comparing apples and oranges,,,,, sorry no pun pun intended

Case of 12 Beer Chang lg has jumped greatly in the past 6 - 8 months now 430 Baht

That one is my major sore spot

Someone please tell me

Marlboro , light or regular, 10 pak carton ..... how much do you pay.?????

Ground beef is 120 per kilo [last week] at Makro..... Muang Mai same price , but quality at Makro is much better

gonzo

This is a difficult one, because the list could be endless.

Also prices for the same items and brands can vary enormously depending on where you shop.

These websites may be of help to the OP. They give prices of goods sold in their stores:

TESCO LOTUS

http://www.embracechiangmai.com/index.php?page=tescolotus

BIG C

http://www.bigc.co.th/en/

MAKROS

http://www.siammakro.co.th/en/main.php

All these web sites are in English

And here is one extra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgdgNOPfU90...player_embedded

If you are easily offended by watching a scantily dressed young beautiful Thai girl posing herself on a train, than in the name of decency and moral values, whatever you do, don`t view this.

If you are easily offended by watching a scantily dressed young beautiful Thai girl posing herself on a train, than in the name of decency and moral values, whatever you do, don`t view this.

thought she was japanese :)

tm2.gif i love this song :D

thought she was japanese :)

I'm not sure, but I think this is off tippics i mean topics

thought she was japanese :D

It seems to me that some people would rather look at young girls than sit around talking like old women about the price of wet fish. :D

Gonzo got it right - all a bloke needs to know is the price of a packet of smokes and a case of beer. Let the women worry about the rest. :)

thought she was japanese :D

It seems to me that some people would rather look at young girls than sit around talking like old women about the price of wet fish. :D

Gonzo got it right - all a bloke needs to know is the price of a packet of smokes and a case of beer. Let the women worry about the rest. :)

Gee KH, I never noticed that, you're correct..... sort of a minor miracle.....

Nice new avatar,,,,,,,,, you don't look any fatter but your pecker seems to stand out...

:D

Nice new avatar,,,,,,,,, you don't look any fatter but your pecker seems to stand out...

:)

What's the minor miracle? The fact that I'm correct about something? Don't say that to my Mother whatever you do.

As regards to Avatars ... who is the gozzy old fart that you use as an Avatar? It certainly isn't you. I remember you as being a Clark Gable look-alike.

:)

What's the minor miracle? The fact that I'm correct about something? Don't say that to my Mother whatever you do.

As regards to Avatars ... who is the gozzy old fart that you use as an Avatar? It certainly isn't you. I remember you as being a Clark Gable look-alike.

Today it is still the same...... Have you seen him lately...????? both of us look like each other ..... worm food

Theres a thought....... Who has the best worm food in CM...... start a poll

[quote name='KevinHunt' post='3097008' date='2009-10-25

Theres a thought....... Who has the best worm food in CM...... start a poll

Who is the best worm food, surely?

8 out of the top 10 post here, I bet.

Edited by KevinHunt