Honda Cbr150 Vs Tiger Rs 250

The Tiger Boxer 250 RS comes stock with stainless steel exhaust system, so technical it is not a aftermarket product. And I bet that spending 2,000 Baht on a Tiger Boxer 250 RS will also improve performance.

I even have experiences with a Honda CBR150R with a 198cc bore-up kit, the kit which cost the same price as a good Honda scooter, pushed the Honda CBR to extremely dangerous speeds. The moral of this is if you want to buy a Honda CBR150R to drive fast and modify it extremely.... better save your money and buy a real bike like a Kawasaki Ninja 250R, in the end you actual save money... Also you're longer around to tell about it, the Ninja 250R is better equipped to go faster...

There was a time that you had no choice it was Honda CBR150R, as full-body bike, or a underbody Suzuki Raider 150.. or ride a 4-gear semi-automatic centrifugal-clutch bike.

For Sinewave, yes 120km/h with 130kilo... is that on the speedo or by actual measurement?

Edited by Richard-BKK

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically not, but in actuality yes. Spending 2000 baht on the tiger, well what would you buy? it already has the pipe, go to lower gearing on a low reving bike, i really don't know what would happen.

Speedo, do any of us really know the true speed of our bikes? Are you telling me that you actually in some way paced yourself to a true speed? how?..because there are many of us that would like to know how to do it. Do you now where or have the equipment?

I pass cars riding parrallel on the access road of the outer ring road expressway all the time. If they travel at an average of 120, I must be going faster.

btw, keep the CBR's idle low.

Technically not, but in actuality yes. Spending 2000 baht on the tiger, well what would you buy? it already has the pipe, go to lower gearing on a low reving bike, i really don't know what would happen.

Speedo, do any of us really know the true speed of our bikes? Are you telling me that you actually in some way paced yourself to a true speed? how?..because there are many of us that would like to know how to do it. Do you now where or have the equipment?

I pass cars riding parrallel on the access road of the outer ring road expressway all the time. If they travel at an average of 120, I must be going faster.

Are you ok? just turn the GPS on ! :)

Sorry Bobbin,

I belief I never called the Honda CBR150R a bad bike, I not see myself as anti CBR150R. In the last 2-years I only said that in 2009 Honda will stop producing the CBR150R. And by announcement of the CEO of Honda, at the beginning of this year, you can assume I was right.

Some people still hope that Honda is going to introduce a Honda CBR150 with fuel-injection, I even hope they do, but honestly I don't see it happen. If they where working on a CBR150 with fuel-injection some people at Honda Thailand would know. Honda Southeast Asia is in the middle of a serious reorganization and the former Thai manufacturer (APHonda) is recently changed its statues to Affiliate Honda Distributor. It seems that Honda is concentrating its production and models on the production of 110 and 125cc motorcycles/scooters. This is for Honda the market where they make the most profit.

And if somebody can show me a unmodified Honda CBR150R, which can do 155km/h with a rider of 130kg, then yes it was all BS.

Most motorcycle forums are to inform viewers with useful information and assist them in a idea of what they plan to buy. Even since basically everybody on this boards knows that Honda is going to stop producing the Honda CBR150R people still advice readers to buy one. Even if Honda by a miracle pulls a 150cc motorcycle out of the head it would not be anything close to a CBR150. As I showed in another tread Honda Thailand is studying the possibility of the Honda 150cc Titan... this is a 150cc motorcycle which can run on almost any fuel you feed it.

More about the Honda Titan in Thai and more in English

The Honda Titan is for most Honda CBR150R lovers a joke, as it performance is around 13hp and it is air-cooled

Well, that weight doesn't make me feel so bad. How 'bout a frame of reference in regards to height so we don't obtain a visual picture of a dwarf who is 5 foot by 5 foot?

I'm 100 +/- (fluctuates quite a bit), but I'm not all that tall (5'9"). And thus I'm able to tuck in pretty well on the CBR. I don't know if you're able to do the same, or rather have a frame that precludes this, but I'd be willing to bet that you're taller than I and the wind resistance of your body has more to do with the CBR not reaching speed than your weight.

I'm not so sure that Honda won't release big bikes in LOS. After all, many, many manufacturers have products that are actually loss leaders but are used as drool-worthy products to get people to purchase their less products. Case in point; the Desomdici RR. How many people have one of those? And yet how many people buy a Ducati Monster based on the assumption that the same care and technology went into it? Honda does the same thing elsewhere in the world; I'd bet their sales of the CBR 1000RR is miniscule compared to the sales of the 600....

I've already bitched about that Titan in the other thread, so I'm going to let that dog lie. However, I don't think it's a bad idea to promote, regardless of the possiblity that they're not sold as new stock next year, CBR 150R. There's a ton of them on the road, Honda dealership in every corner of the Kingdom, etc. Also, in regards to your earlier reply; yes Aprilla uses the same supplier of their engine as Buell. However, the Rotax engine in 2 (!) of Buell's models is a clean sheet design. Plus I'd love to see the HD dealership that has the tools to perform a simple valve adjustment on an Aprila!

**oh, and get your metaphors correct; it's pulls a 150cc motorcycle out of their ass**

Boys Boys!!! Now now, first of all, Richard already knows he needs a better spell dictionary and spell checker, but we all understand him clear enough don't we? Although "pulling something out of ones ass" is an important metaphor to get right.

2nd, fuel injection is actually rather easy to add to any engine, it does not require a complete redesign. As a Honda lover and just out of novelty, I would buy a CBR150 just to have one if they halted production, but I suspect it will come out with fuel injection in the not too distant future. In fact, there are so many cool small bikes in Asia that I would like to have about 4 or 5 of them, and eventually I will.

3rd, MY BUELL's engine is of the Harley Davidson design, AND it is fuel injected. It is not a rotax, so enough with that rotax ANALogy, please? I don't weigh 130 kg, and I don't need to do 155kph, so neither of those details apply to me. I'm sure there will be those times I wish I had bought the CBR, but after going to the Tiger Dealership, er,...hole in the wall, today, which was not exactly easy to find, I think I am 90% sure I will buy a Boxer 250 RS. Reminds me of the Honda XL250 I had almost 30 years ago. About the same technology, design and performance, just in a little bit more urban package with electric start and disc brakes. I really like it, but I did not get to take a test ride yet, they will call me to go back when their demo is returned to them.

I'm thinking that with a decent set of dual-sport rubber on it I will like it even more and can pretty much treat it like an enduro. I want the kick starter added on also. When the 3 year warranty runs out, I can always avoid worrying about breakdowns by replacing it. What's the warranty on a CBR? hmm?

Really the guy there is pretty helpful at Tiger and I advised him to sign up on Thai Visa and interact with those interested in the Tiger motorcycles as he would probably develop some customers that way.

Once again, I am almost 5'9" and 190lbs, down from almost 100 kgs. The Boxer fits me very well. If it runs as well as everything else seems to be, then I'm sold.

Thanks to all of you for the great information. I still intend to take a closer look at the CBR150R and wouldn't mind taking one for a ride. But this year I really should just buy one motorcycle, at least until I go to work and my grad school is paid for.

I look forward to riding with all you guys with CBR's, then we can get a real good comparison to share with others, and argue about amongst ourselves. I'm confident they are both great little bikes. Now lets just see how/if Tiger stands behind it's product.

John

P.S. Quote RichardBKK "I'm 196cm, that is for US citizens 1'43", <deleted>?

:)

I weigh 90 kg, and I commuted on the superhighway for years with both a back pack and tank bag (which both prevent a fully prone position). 141 kph, almost every day. I have slowed down after many wrecks and two strokes. I still do 135 kph on the freeway in town, passing police.

Actual speed? Yeah, it's called GPS.

Are you ok? just turn the GPS on ! :)

something tells me a GPS isn't 100% accurate....but I don't have one, so if someone with a cbr and gps would be so kind....clock it! (The Tiger also)

Boys Boys!!! Now now, first of all, Richard already knows he needs a better spell dictionary and spell checker, but we all understand him clear enough don't we? Although "pulling something out of ones ass" is an important metaphor to get right.

That was the only point I was making.

2nd, fuel injection is actually rather easy to add to any engine, it does not require a complete redesign. As a Honda lover and just out of novelty, I would buy a CBR150 just to have one if they halted production, but I suspect it will come out with fuel injection in the not too distant future. In fact, there are so many cool small bikes in Asia that I would like to have about 4 or 5 of them, and eventually I will.

3rd, MY BUELL's engine is of the Harley Davidson design, AND it is fuel injected. It is not a rotax, so enough with that rotax ANALogy, please? I don't weigh 130 kg, and I don't need to do 155kph, so neither of those details apply to me. I'm sure there will be those times I wish I had bought the CBR, but after going to the Tiger Dealership, er,...hole in the wall, today, which was not exactly easy to find, I think I am 90% sure I will buy a Boxer 250 RS. Reminds me of the Honda XL250 I had almost 30 years ago. About the same technology, design and performance, just in a little bit more urban package with electric start and disc brakes. I really like it, but I did not get to take a test ride yet, they will call me to go back when their demo is returned to them.

The Rotax analogy has nothing to do with your bike (sorry, your the OP but the thread has not revolved around you for a while now). I'm glad you did like the Tiger, try and promote it. I feel a bit silly doing so, since I don't have one.

I'm thinking that with a decent set of dual-sport rubber on it I will like it even more and can pretty much treat it like an enduro. I want the kick starter added on also. When the 3 year warranty runs out, I can always avoid worrying about breakdowns by replacing it. What's the warranty on a CBR? hmm?

I believe three years, but I'd have to dig out the owner's book and see.

Really the guy there is pretty helpful at Tiger and I advised him to sign up on Thai Visa and interact with those interested in the Tiger motorcycles as he would probably develop some customers that way.

Once again, I am almost 5'9" and 190lbs, down from almost 100 kgs. The Boxer fits me very well. If it runs as well as everything else seems to be, then I'm sold.

Thanks to all of you for the great information. I still intend to take a closer look at the CBR150R and wouldn't mind taking one for a ride. But this year I really should just buy one motorcycle, at least until I go to work and my grad school is paid for.

I look forward to riding with all you guys with CBR's, then we can get a real good comparison to share with others, and argue about amongst ourselves. I'm confident they are both great little bikes. Now lets just see how/if Tiger stands behind it's product.

There's actually a ride scheduled from Bangkok to Loei. There's going to be at least two Boxers and my Ninja, and if they stay over nearby where I live I can persuade the brother-in-law to ride up my CBR and we can do a proper shoot out.

John

P.S. Quote RichardBKK "I'm 196cm, that is for US citizens 1'43", <deleted>?

See your first paragraph.

:)

Yes, I do. My Ninja is 8% optimistic. Haven't taken my Zumo onto my CBR yet so can't tell you the 'drift' of that speedo....also those who have changed rubber on their bikes will have different factors than stock due to differences in the tyres.

Maybe I missed something I know the cost of a new cbr and a ninja 250

How much are the tiger 250's are they price comparable to the cbr 150

The tiger boxer is 72000 THB the ninja 250 is about double ,and the cbr is , i think, 8000 thb less than the boxer .

mbox

People I would say keep to things to fact we know...

The Honda CBR150R is not being continued in Thailand after the end of 2009, this is a fact if we read the HONDA CEO Speech, something I try to tell for almost 2 years.

Honda bets probably on its huge marketing machine to sell the Honda Titan 150 in Thailand, it is the latest of the latest from Brazil - Thai technology. Honda in several international public notifications credited the Thai research department for developing the PGM-FI.

People I would say keep to things to fact we know...

The Honda CBR150R is not being continued in Thailand after the end of 2009, this is a fact if we read the HONDA CEO Speech, something I try to tell for almost 2 years.

Honda bets probably on its huge marketing machine to sell the Honda Titan 150 in Thailand, it is the latest of the latest from Brazil - Thai technology. Honda in several international public notifications credited the Thai research department for developing the PGM-FI.

... Wouldn't be the first time you've been completely wrong though... :D:D:D

No where in the article you referenced does Honda say they are discontinuing the CBR150R.

http://world.honda.com/news/2008/c081217Year-End-CEO-Speech/

The only thing the article says is:

"Honda is planning to install PGM-FI to all motorcycle models sold in Thailand by the end of 2009. "

So, a reasonable person might conclude that there is a good chance that the CBR150R will be fuel injected next year. :)

Here's another idiom for you: "Open mouth, insert foot" :D

Having rode both. I would say it depends on your personal riding style. if you like the sports bike feel then the Cbr150. eg revvy engine, lots of gear changing. Top speed about 130-140kmh (dependent on weight).

OR the 250rs a touring type bike. get it into top gear and leave it (lots of torque). top speed about 130-140 (5speed)

Both have good suspension and brakes. if you do a lot of 2 up riding then defo the 250rs because of the midrange torque.

Build quality is similar, Honda slightly better (as it should be after 7 years of production and one of the largest bike makers in the world)

If Honda put a 250 in the Cbr frame THEN it would be a no brainer. But they aint likely to do that.

Allan

Yeah, a CBR250fi for Thailand would be EXCELLENT!

Quote- Yes, I do. My Ninja is 8% optimistic. Haven't taken my Zumo onto my CBR yet so can't tell you the 'drift' of that speedo....also those who have changed rubber on their bikes will have different factors than stock due to differences in the tyres.

Answer: Only if you change the tire (usually the front) that the speedo is connected to. :)

Thanks again guys for all your input. Even the 1'43" dude.

Having rode both. I would say it Quote- Yes, I do. My Ninja is 8% optimistic. Haven't taken my Zumo onto my CBR yet so can't tell you the 'drift' of that speedo....also those who have changed rubber on their bikes will have different factors than stock due to differences in the tyres.

Answer: Only if you change the tire (usually the front) that the speedo is connected to. :D

That you have to take into account the tyre that is actually driving the speedo is a given; but what about those poor saps who have bikes that drive their speedos off the rear of the tranny (will that quote get nakeAIR involved in the thread :) )? Change your rear tyre...bam different ratio needed! Change the front sprocket...bam different ratio needed! Change your rear sprocket...well you get the idear.

Having rode both. I would say it Quote- Yes, I do. My Ninja is 8% optimistic. Haven't taken my Zumo onto my CBR yet so can't tell you the 'drift' of that speedo....also those who have changed rubber on their bikes will have different factors than stock due to differences in the tyres.

Answer: Only if you change the tire (usually the front) that the speedo is connected to. :D

That you have to take into account the tyre that is actually driving the speedo is a given; but what about those poor saps who have bikes that drive their speedos off the rear of the tranny (will that quote get nakeAIR involved in the thread :) )? Change your rear tyre...bam different ratio needed! Change the front sprocket...bam different ratio needed! Change your rear sprocket...well you get the idear.

Pleas tell me which motorcycle that does NOT take the speed reading from the static front wheel, I'll be sure to avoid that one at all costs. In all my life I have not seen one yet. Might be interesting to ponder the "why?"

Pleas tell me which motorcycle that does NOT take the speed reading from the static front wheel, I'll be sure to avoid that one at all costs. In all my life I have not seen one yet. Might be interesting to ponder the "why?"

Harley Iron Heads spring to mind. Some Honda VFR. Honda VT1100. All of these BMW models (R25/3, R26, R27, R50, R60, R69, R50/2, R60/2, R50S, R69S, R50/US, R60/US, R69US, R50/5, R60/5, R75/5, R50/6, R60/6, R75/6, R90/6, R90S) and possibly more. I'm sure I've missed some, but there's more out there than you'd think.

Cbr250rr takes it from the sprocket cover pickup.................... there ya go ..there's one :):D

John you are American so we can excuse you.......

I have only ever met one Yank with a totally open mind to Bikes.. How are ya Tony :D

Cbr250rr takes it from the sprocket cover pickup.................... there ya go ..there's one :):D

I have only ever met one Yank with a totally open mind to Bikes.. How are ya Tony :D

That's not fair, as long as it has a big Wing on the tank I'm very open minded.......

That's not fair, as long as it has a big Wing on the tank I'm very open minded.......

Thats a funny one...open mindedness in LOS...:-)

Thats a funny one...open mindedness in LOS...:-)

The really funny thing is that I despise Honda cars. The very traits I find admirable in their bikes (reliableness, decent value, and nearly always one of the best perfomers) is the exact reason I hate their cars....even though the cars are rarely one of the best performers you can't convince a ricer that.

I dont know how correct this is..... but my Aussi friend compared price of the CBR from Thailand to Australia...very very different $ but......

he told me the CBR in Australia had a 250cc engine. Id buy tomorrow!!!

Ive been trying to determine what bike to buy, my CBR is very tired now after 2 years of commuting 150km everyday.......it used to cruise 120 easily, (not now) and many times toped out about 140, but I am only 75kg and not tall.

at less than half the price of a Ninja, the CBR is still a great buy and much more bang for buck, being only slightly down on performance from the Ninja. Thru peak traffic the CBR win everytime.

Hey... I resemble that comment :D:D:)

How the hel_l are ya Allan? Haven't heard from you in a while- did you get the new bike yet?

Happy Trails!

motorcycle17.gif

I dont know how correct this is..... but my Aussi friend compared price of the CBR from Thailand to Australia...very very different $ but......

he told me the CBR in Australia had a 250cc engine. Id buy tomorrow!!!

Ive been trying to determine what bike to buy, my CBR is very tired now after 2 years of commuting 150km everyday.......it used to cruise 120 easily, (not now) and many times toped out about 140, but I am only 75kg and not tall.

at less than half the price of a Ninja, the CBR is still a great buy and much more bang for buck, being only slightly down on performance from the Ninja. Thru peak traffic the CBR win everytime.

You've een mis-informed. They use the CBR 150R for teen racing. They used to import the CBR 250R®.

Quoting Wikipedia:

The Honda CBR250 series of bikes was produced between 1986 and 1996. It was a lightweight 4-cylinder, 4-stroke, and 6-gear sportbike capable of revving up to 19,000 rpm. The earlier models (1986-1993) produced 45 ps (34 kW), from then on, the power output was reduced to 40 ps (30 kW) in 1994 after a change in Japanese law.

JoshHarrisCBR2.jpg

at less than half the price of a Ninja, the CBR is still a great buy and much more bang for buck, being only slightly down on performance from the Ninja.

Well, you've got to define 'slightly' when you compare the performance of a CBR 150 vs a Ninja 250R :) It really is apples and oranges.

The fuel injected Ninja 250R weighs 333 pounds and cranks out 33 horsepower.

CBR 150 weighs 281 pounds and boasts 25 horsepower

And let's face it, the redesigned Ninja looks awesome, while the CBR 150 hasn't been updated in years (8?) and is really looking its age.

I find it's pretty unfair to compare a 150cc sport bike against a 250cc sport bike. For those who can afford it, the Ninja is a wicked little bike, but if the Kwackerzaki is too pricey there's certainly nothing wrong with the CBR 150. You get what you pay for.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Well, you've got to define 'slightly' when you compare the performance of a CBR 150 vs a Ninja 250R :) It really is apples and oranges.

The fuel injected Ninja 250R weighs 333 pounds and cranks out 33 horsepower.

CBR 150 weighs 281 pounds and boasts 25 horsepower

And let's face it, the redesigned Ninja looks awesome, while the CBR 150 hasn't been updated in years (8?) and is really looking its age.

I find it's pretty unfair to compare a 150cc sport bike against a 250cc sport bike. For those who can afford it, the Ninja is a wicked little bike, but if the Kwackerzaki is too pricey there's certainly nothing wrong with the CBR 150. You get what you pay for.

Happy Trails!

Tony

You are too kind on your assessment of the CBR's power. Most I've ever heard was yee-sip (20) with most websites listing it as 17 (don't believe wikipedia!...that's 1 hp per 6cc; the Ninja is only 1 hp per 7.6cc). You also have it listed on the portly side, it's supposed to be 115 kg (253 lbs--a huge difference on a 150cc bike). And per Kawasaki UK's website, the Ninja is 169 kg (372 lbs).

Most everybody has read my thoughts in the CBR/Ninja thread, so I'll just skim the surface and repeat, for price to performance the CBR can't be beat. Other forum members have had their's up to over 150 kph indicated. You've had your Ninja up to 185 indicated (which at 8% optimistic means ~170 kph real--IIRC). I've only ever seen a GPS indicated 145 on my Ninja, but ran out of room to see top-top speed. I've been over 145, once again indicated, on the CBR. That's at least 130 real (assuming a 10%, which I'll check when I get home, error). So you're paying for some 15 extra KPH. And that's going to cost you some 75 000THB (5 000THB/KPH)?

Whipping through traffic; tried it on both and the CBR wins. I'll line the two bikes up for a photo op if you don't believe that it's much narrower. The narrowness can't be beat when it comes to flicking it around. Actually, here's an image from my CBR, and courtesy of google images a Ninja. It's kinda hard to compare without them side by side, so I'll get a better image.

post-a33241-IMAGE-00140.jpg08_Ninja250R_Front.jpg

But that narrowness is the downfall on high speed cruising (125+ kph...which isn't all that fast where we're from is it?). The CBR is much more nervous. Add in the inherent buzz for a single cylinder spinning at the same RPM for the same speed as a twin and the tables turn.

But the CBR does win, by a really nice margin, the kilometers per litre race!

Plus I shouldn't have to say this, but it IS a Honda.... :D

**edit**

I never realised it, but for as nice as the Ninjette looks in profile it sure has an ugly mug when viewed direct on! The CBR on the other hand has the look I like in my ladies, fat on top and bottom with a nice pinched waist (sorry for being chauvanistic!)

**edit duex**

And to further emphasize my point on the CBR's advantage in the city, here's overhead views of both bikes:

post-a33240-IMAGE-00137.jpgpost-27441-1242759492_thumb.jpg

Make up your own minds.

Edited by dave_boo

All good Dave,

I've owned a bunch of CBR's over the years, but they were all 600's.

The 2009 CBR 600RR looks pretty cool in matte black!

Honda-CBR600RR-ABS-2009.jpg

But I've been very happy with my last two Kawasakis here in Thailand; if only they'd import the Ninja ZX6R...

w544h408_000003400E876331.jpg

TASTY! :)

For now I'm having a blast on the ER6n and am very much looking forward to the ER6f, aka Ninja 650R-

kawasaki_er6f_2009.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony