What Is Going On In Thailand

Shotime

Now that Democracy has been re-established in LOS, and things have quieted down with the Thai peoples, how do you feel about your comfort zone there? Whether you live in a remote village or in the heart of Bangkok/Pattaya, do you get the feeling that the Thai people are adopting an "everyman for himself" attitude? Do the police there feel that they have any "authority" that they are responsible to report to? Does the present government give the people they govern any reason to feel other than they better take care of themselves cause nobody else will? I've left cause I was beginning to feel as if I had no one to turn to if I should be stupid enough to get myself in a tight spot or just be in the wrong place at the wrong time or just minding my own business. I couldn't see it getting anything but worse. I never had a problem there before, and I loved Thailand.

Now, how do you feel?

Democracy has not been re-established, nor was it really ever established. That said, it's a wonderful place to live and raise a family.

Disagree. I'd never want my children educated here.

Those who can afford it, all send their children abroad for education.

Edited by Oberkommando

I feel an overall feeling of foreboding and resignation in the air. It is clear the worse has yet to come but nobody knows when it will come, next week, next year, five years from now, etc. It's not entirely unpleasant. It reminds me of when I used to live directly on the San Andreas Fault. Contemplating chaos and destruction can make you feel more alive and in the moment.

Edited by Jingthing

I feel an overall feeling of foreboding and resignation in the air. It is clear the worse has yet to come but nobody knows when it will come, next week, next year, five years from now, etc. It's not entirely unpleasant. It reminds me of when I used to live directly on the San Andreas Fault. Contemplating chaos and destruction can make you feel more alive and in the moment.

Very funny, and good luck to you.

Now that Democracy has been re-established

:)

Check back again in 20 years.

I was being sarcastic, and, please stop wearing that hat, you're making us all look stupid.

A Texican, yet

Edited by Shotime

I was being sarcastic, and, please stop wearing that hat, you're making us all look stupid.
Is Texpat even a Yank?

I wouldn't call somebody from Texas a Yank. That is asking for trouble.

whisper mode

*pssst JT, Texas is in the south of the US*

Reports are he is not from Texas. Just curious that as he is presenting himself as being from Texas (like I said reports are he is not) and an American (with the hat and that Texas is in the US) it seems to me that Texpat becoming a very frequent poster, he may wish to clear this up once and for all.

Edited by Jingthing

That reply by JohnGotti several posts up from this one makes me laugh..... quote - "I'm for myself and My family and I wouldn't expected anybody else to be the same" . I think if you examine your life closely you will realsie that you are reliant on a lot more people than you realise, as are your family. You could start by asking yourself "How did this shirt arrive on my back" and...... where did the food come from that I just ate for lunch......and The Doctor that will treat my child should it become sick and, and, and, etc etc etc etc

he is presenting himself as being from Texas ...

He is?

Or is that merely your imagination at work?

Texpat, a lot of people assume you are both from Texas AND an American. Don't act like you don't understand why, Texpat. It is your total right to not identify your geographical particulars if you don't wish, and based on your response here, I take it you don't wish? OK, I suppose that is settled then. Nobody is demanding anything; I thought you may welcome the opportunity to clear this up, but apparently not. It's all good, international man of mystery ...

Edited by Jingthing

I've left cause I was beginning to feel as if I had no one to turn to if I should be stupid enough to get myself in a tight spot or just be in the wrong place at the wrong time or just minding my own business...

...Now, how do you feel?

I've been having the same feelings lately. In fact, I just brought this very same subject up with the man tonight.

He's normally calm and collected. But if pushed, I am not. Even with the best of intentions, I am not. Fire and brimstone spits out of all orifices if pushed.

So... we now have a plan on who to call if I get myself into a bind... but... it does bring up more questions (as you've brought up).

He is?

I always figured you could be a lady named Pat who use to be in the Textile industry making cool hats.....was I wrong? :D

As for the uneasy feeling many have mentioned..........Dont worry it is not just in Thailand :)

he is presenting himself as being from Texas ...

He is?

Texpat, a lot of people assume you are both from Texas AND an American. Don't act like you don't understand why, Texpat. It is your total right to not identify your geographical particulars if you don't wish, and based on your response here, I take it you don't wish? OK, I suppose that is settled then. Nobody is demanding anything; I thought you may welcome the opportunity to clear this up, but apparently not. It's all good, international man of mystery ...

maybe T(hai) - expat was what he meant? - mind if thats the most interesting thing about him......

as to the OP and the re-establishment of democracy and 'feelings' of people??? i don't detect any recent changes one way or the other - nothing will change due to any amount of posturing, change will only occur (but i am undecided on scale or type) with the eventual elephant in the room

You're right. It's not just Thailand. However, in Thailand, you stand out like a sore thumb. I mean if you're a Westerner.

And the Burmese and other refugees now being hauled off, don't?

No matter how bad it might be for a westerner it's always much worse for someone from the region or a local.

maybe T(hai) - expat was what he meant? - mind if thats the most interesting thing about him......

So you are saying Texpat is Thai? A Thai expat is a Thai national living abroad outside Thailand. Texpat clearly does not wish to comment on whether he is or isn't American, though he does post extensively about American political matters. At this point, I think it reasonable to assume he is not American, and when he comments on American matters, he does so as an outside observer.

Edited by Jingthing