Seafood Safe To Eat In Phuket?

CBinParadise

Before anyone rushes to the conclusion that I'm an insensitive bastard:

I live in Phuket (Bang Tao). I've been contributing to relief efforts since 26 Dec. I'm asking this question because we would like to go back to buying from our local (thai-owned) seafood restaurants and vendors the way we did before the tsunami --- they surely could use the help.

We also have a farang family coming to visit -- and we'll certainly be asked this question.

So:

What is the real story regarding locally caught or farmed shrimp, crabs, squid, and saltwater fish (particularly tuna)? Which are biologically and medically safe to eat? What about psychological squeamishness --- any reassurances possible here?

I have heard many conflicting opinions -- does anyone have authoritative answers?

Thanks mucho

CBinParadise

If you do anything to go out of your way to reassure people it will only make them wonder why. Just order or serve the seafood as you normally would and don't mention anything. Use good judgement in purchasing and storing any seafood. Don't just let price be the deciding factor.

cv

If you do anything to go out of your way to reassure people it will only make them wonder why. Just order or serve the seafood as you normally would and don't mention anything. Use good judgement in purchasing and storing any seafood. Don't just let price be the deciding factor.........

............ but check the larger fish for any ingested rolex watches , jewellery and undigested fingers and toes ..............just as a precaution....... in case.....you know.

Before anyone rushes to the conclusion that I'm an insensitive bastard:

We also have a farang family coming to visit -- and we'll certainly be asked this question.

So:

What is the real story regarding locally caught or farmed shrimp, crabs, squid,  ...

CBinParadise

Your syntax is very good for someone who is "non-farang", ... can you say troll ,,, mod8(smoking%20pipe)a.gif

I'm not trolling --- it's a serious question. I'm a farang. My wife is Thai, and I want to be able to reassure her too --- based on something more than assertion.

Much of the time the remedies and advice she dispenses turns out to be right on, even though I disbelieve her at first. She has many friends in the local commercial fishing community --- they tell her to wait a year.

To you sparkling wits out there --- don't you have anything better to do?

To the nice person who provided the reference to the newspaper article, thanks mucho --- but that too is merely an assertion -- I'm hoping for some facts on which to judge it.

To my defender against the idiot who thought I was claiming to be Thai -- thanks.

CBinParadise

Not dumb at all --- that's where we've been getting our seafood lately --- they import from the Gulf or inland fish farms --- but even the farang chefs we've spoken to aren't really sure of the situation. They're pretty sure there's no more medical risk than there normally is when you eat seafood --- but they (and I) need an asnwer when someone asks about human corpse consumption -- by marine life, particularly bottom feeders but also including tuna which are frequently mentioned for reasons that baffle me.

We know it happens of course --- but at what point is it reasonable to say it's no longer an issue? two months? six? a year? What are the processes, lifetimes, etc that affect that timeline.

Are there any marine biologists tuned in?

Is it safe to eat seafood after a tsunami?

Q: I have heard that it is dangerous to eat fish that have eaten humans. Is this true? Is it OK to eat the seafood in the areas where the tsunami struck? And if not, how long will it be before the seafood is safe again?

Question and answer archives

Submit a question

- Mexico City, Mexico

A: Concern has been expressed in tsunami-affected areas about the potential increased health risks of eating fish/seafood in relation to (a) fish having eaten human cadavers (:o ciguatera and © heavy metal contamination.

(a) There is no increased risk related to the consumption of fish that could have been in contact with or eaten from human cadavers. But care should be taken, as always, in how seafood is handled after it is caught before it is consumed. Specifically, dead fish that has remained at ambient temperature for many hours should not be eaten.

(:D There is no increased risk for ciguatera specifically related to the tsunami and there is no epidemiological evidence of increase of ciguatera poisoning cases in the region.

Ciguatera is a problem that occurs in certain specific areas, often related to specific fish living in or near reefs - the ciguatera toxin is produced by an algal species (Gambierdiscus toxicus).

© There is no increased risk for heavy metal contamination of fish following the tsunami.

http://www.who.int/features/qa/02/en/

I think your question is valid. My wife will not eat seafood now nor will any Thais I know. The local markets have signs now saying the fish is from Nakhon Sri Thammarat :o

I must admit, Im eating know fish now, but it wont be long.

BTW, I went through Khao Lak today and the place is very clean and building is underway again :D

He never says anywhere that he isn't farung. Is that the extent of your posting ability? Sit and type troll?

cv

If it sounds trollish then I make the call, you have your opinion I have mine.

This is a non-issue and only raises hysteria, tourism is still reeling, now you want to impact the fishing industry too,

Shellfish (Lobster, Crab etc.) are scavengers and "bottom feeders". They feed mostly on dead fish and vegitation which ends up on the sea floor. Most larger deep sea fish, such as Tuna, feed on smaller, live fish, such as heering and mackerel.

I've read where most sharks, after biting humans, spit them out. (Apparently they don't like the taste.)

As others have mentioned, I'd be more concerned about the heavy metal and chlorestrol, than any possible "human" contamination.

(I recently read where "French Kissing", you can pass up to 55 different virus and 48,000 different parasites to you partner. :o )

Life's too short to wory about the little things.

cheers

I think this will help you get your answer and stop this non-sense! :o

Here's the answer provided by our friends at World Health Organization

http://www.who.int/features/qa/02/en/

Or

Q: I have heard that it is dangerous to eat fish that have eaten humans. Is this true? Is it OK to eat the seafood in the areas where the tsunami struck? And if not, how long will it be before the seafood is safe again?

A: Concern has been expressed in tsunami-affected areas about the potential increased health risks of eating fish/seafood in relation to (a) fish having eaten human cadavers (:D ciguatera and © heavy metal contamination.

(a) There is no increased risk related to the consumption of fish that could have been in contact with or eaten from human cadavers. But care should be taken, as always, in how seafood is handled after it is caught before it is consumed. Specifically, dead fish that has remained at ambient temperature for many hours should not be eaten.

(:D There is no increased risk for ciguatera specifically related to the tsunami and there is no epidemiological evidence of increase of ciguatera poisoning cases in the region.

Ciguatera is a problem that occurs in certain specific areas, often related to specific fish living in or near reefs - the ciguatera toxin is produced by an algal species (Gambierdiscus toxicus).

© There is no increased risk for heavy metal contamination of fish following the tsunami.

I'm not trolling --- it's a serious question.  I'm a farang. My wife is Thai, and I want to be able to reassure her too --- based on something more than assertion. 

Much of the time the remedies and advice she dispenses turns out to be right on, even though I disbelieve her at first.  She has many friends in the local commercial fishing community --- they tell her to wait a year.

To you sparkling wits out there --- don't you have anything better to do?

To the nice person who provided the reference to the newspaper article, thanks mucho --- but that too is merely an assertion -- I'm hoping for some facts on which to judge it.

To my defender against the idiot who thought I was claiming to be Thai -- thanks.

CBinParadise

What do you think fish ate before the tsunami???? Salad???