Female Police Officer Takes Off With Bt50m

george

Female police officer takes off with Bt50m

BANGKOK: -- Police are looking for a fugitive female police officer who made off with the Bt50 million she got from her fellow officers and some police generals under a loan scam.

Pol Senior SgtMajor Chanakant Booranaphong is now suspended after she disappeared more than a month ago. Reports broke out last week that she had made millions from a loanbased scheme by offering high returns to investors and collecting high interest from borrowers, who were mostly junior officers.

Police sources say Chanakant is suspected to have accumulated around Bt50 million. Nobody filed complaints until yesterday when a businesswoman lodged a petition with Dusit police that she had lost millions to Chanakant.

Before she went missing, Chanakant bought two luxury cars and sold them to a police officer for Bt500,000 each. However, the cars were repossessed because Chanakant had failed to pay three monthly instalments. Fellow policewomen who stood as guarantors for Chanakant's Bt900,000 loan from the Royal Thai Police cooperative will also have their salaries deducted to repay her debts.

Chanakant also offered loans to members of the public at a monthly rate of more than 20 per cent, which is illegal. She also wanted to give loans to fellow officers in urgent need for money by demanding 5 per cent commission from those were eligible for loans from the cooperative, but she could not wait for the lengthy documentation process to be completed.

A police colonel, who asks not to be named, said he had heard that Chanakant had been running this loan operation for more than 10 years and that most officers were aware of it. He said he was lucky that he did not go for the scheme even though he was encouraged to invest by his colleagues. Two police generals are said to have also lost money to Chanakant.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-05-20

Maybe she was taking lessons from Bernie Madoff. :D

Concur, Chopper that was my first thought also. :D She just got a bit greedy and went fast in her scam and got caught in her web of lies quickly, thank goodness before to many people lost there shirts. :)

About 5 years ago there was a wage &salary table printed in the local papers. A street cop or army private earned about 4000 baht/month ranging up to 25,000-30,000/m for colonels and majors. I am pretty certain a General got the princely sum of 40,000/m plus expenses whatever they are. Love to know how thay can afford Benz's ,Swiss chalets and apartments in London? TIT

Female police officer takes off

And here I was hoping for another stripping-'scandal'... :)

That made me chuckle...

This whole story makes me laugh, it shows how bad the police are here. A police loan shark with other police baking the loans, while other police are taking the loans... it really shows the state of police here in thailand

That made me chuckle...

This whole story makes me laugh, it shows how bad the police are here. A police loan shark with other police baking the loans, while other police are taking the loans... it really shows the state of police here in thailand

really? how about the state of the US financial system? never heard of madoff?100 times as bad and 10 times as long.

That made me chuckle...

really? how about the state of the US financial system? never heard of madoff?100 times as bad and 10 times as long.

In this case, several other police officials seem to have know what it going on. Madoof, as the only player had total control of his scam. When he finally confided in his sons because it was about to catch up to him, his sons turned him into the authorities. I think the big problem is here is that other police were involved in this and were trying to profit form it. The money that the police officers who invested in the scam had to come from somewhere and more than like it came from the "tea money" fund.

Good they get a taste of their own corrupt way of life. I just didn't like the way she also gave to the public. These kind of people are evil. They're usually also supporting illegal gambling dens run by other police, lending money to drunk gamblers who've just lost their shirt and want to lose their limbs...

.if people can't return the money they usually get their arms slashed, then beaten up, then arrested on a false charge.

Pure evil in my view. I hope she's gone from the world already.

Since they've all admitted being involved in an illegal scheme, why not sack all of them. And who is stupid enough to lay out 1/2 million baht for a car without seeing the book? trust me, I'm a police(wo)man - I don't think so!

50 million baht? That's what, about US$1.5 million. Don't think it would go far in the real world when you're on the run.

When you're on a salary of about ฿9,000 a month you can hide for a long time with Bt50 mil.

Worm turning time?? :):D