Changing Flights At Kl Airport - Air Asia -

Thinking about flying Air Asia Phuket to KL, then KL to KK - two separate flights. Can anyone advise:

1. Can you check bags through to KK? (I suspect not).

2. Do you have to go through Immigration, collect bags at KL, then re-check in again for the KL to KK leg?

simple answers:

1. NO, you have to take your luggage through customs and re-check in for Phuket

2. YES, you have to go through emigration and then after checking in your luggage to Phuket you leave Malaysia again through emigration.

Tips. Make sure your lay over in KL is at least 2 hours, because you have to count one hour to clear customs and emigration and you have to check in for your onward flight one hour before departure. Air Asia can be unforgiving with their check in times. The terminal at LCTKL is currently undergoing renovation, so you have to actually leave the arrivals terminal and walk a few meters to the departure terminal. I know it all sounds a bit of a drag, but think of the money you saved by getting a good deal from Air Asia.

I do this about 4 times a year and sort of got used to it. Hope this helps :)

No.

2. Do you have to go through Immigration, collect bags at KL, then re-check in again for the KL to KK leg?

Yes.

Bottom line is that all flights are point-to-point with AirAsia.

No.

Yes.

Bottom line is that all flights are point-to-point with AirAsia.

Thanks Ovenman, that's what we suspected. Think we'll probably break the journey there or maybe go via Singapore and break the journey there. Cheers.

OK, I have the 2 hours for my change, actually have 7 hours.

Can one waste 7 hours (5pm to 1am) at the low cost terminal or is it better to wander over to the main terminal for food and watering?

Can one waste 7 hours (5pm to 1am) at the low cost terminal or is it better to wander over to the main terminal for food and watering?

There's actually plenty of food options at the LCC-T and it's a bit of a haul from there to the main terminal. That said, I wouldn't want to kill seven hours at the LCC-T as it gets rather crowded at times.

You might want to consider the Tune Hotel, it's right by the LCCT and cheap enough to use just as a "dayroom" facility.

Thanks for the comments - I was going to have a 9 hour stay, which gave time to go into town. But Air Asia changed the Chiang Mai flight times.

Think I'll kill the time going over to the other terminal and back. Gives me something to do!

Tune hotel did look interesting, but I do like 'people watching' and there is not much of that in a hotel room.

Go to the 24-hour Food Centre at the Low Cost Carrier Terminal. You can get hot cups of tea for 1 ringgit. Big plates of food are 5 ringgit. All air-conditioned. Loads of free tables. Clean toilets.

24 Jam: Def Jam: Satay Ayam : That's who I am.

Ah, good old KL, probably the most f***ed airport in the region, the only airport I know of where you have to enter the country to pick up your bags before checking out again.

Still I suppose it allows the Malays to give such impressive passenger arrival stats.

As pointed out the hotel is value for money, you may also pass the time riding the train back and forward.

Chickencurry, given a choice between Kl and Singapore, its a no brainer, Singapore wins every time.

Singapore, what swampy tried to be and failed.

Ah, good old KL, probably the most f***ed airport in the region, the only airport I know of where you have to enter the country to pick up your bags before checking out again.

Still I suppose it allows the Malays to give such impressive passenger arrival stats.

As pointed out the hotel is value for money, you may also pass the time riding the train back and forward.

Chickencurry, given a choice between Kl and Singapore, its a no brainer, Singapore wins every time.

Your post is ridiculous.

Are you aware that are 2 totally discrete terminals at KL, the main international terminal and the low-cost carrier terminal? The services and costs associated with those services are completely different.

The reason for not being able to check your bags through is due to the policies of Air Asia which is a point-to-point carrier only. It has nothing to do with KLIA which is an efficient and customer-friendly place.

Absolutely no reason to malign KLIA or Malaysia on this spurious point.

Edited by Briggsy

Your post is ridiculous.

Are you aware that are 2 totally discrete terminals at KL, the main international terminal and the low-cost carrier terminal? The services and costs associated with those services are completely different.

The reason for not being able to check your bags through is due to the policies of Air Asia which is a point-to-point carrier only. It has nothing to do with KLIA which is an efficient and customer-friendly place.

Absolutely no reason to malign KLIA or Malaysia on this spurious point.

Briggsy,

can you please explain what part of my post is ridiculous,

I was explaining what happened to my wife and myself, we were transiting through KL on route to Thailand, we had to enter the country, pick up our baggage and check in again before leaving the country, we still have the stamps in our passports to back up this ludicrous situation.

This situation did not only apply to us, there were fellow passengers en route to Australia who also had to endure this fiasco.

We neither entered the country or left the country on Air Asia, so the policy of Air Asia did not apply to us.

It would appear that it is not only I who experienced this situation,

Do you have to go through Immigration, collect bags at KL, then re-check in again for the KL to KK leg?

Is the question posted by chickencurry.

Answer from Arco27,

YES, you have to go through emigration and then after checking in your luggage to Phuket you leave Malaysia again through emigration.

Answer from Ovenman,

Yes.

KL is a beautiful modern airport, I cant comment on the policies of KLIA, neither can I comment on the policies and practices of the airlines involved. However whether it has something to do with such practices as Star Alliance for example, route sharing or ticketing I am at a loss to explain, perhaps some more enlightened member involved in the travel industry can comment.

The only thing I can advise any memeber transitting through KL is to enquire if they will have to enter the country to pick up baggage, check in again and then depart the country. Its certainly a process I and my fellow passengers have no wish to repeat.

As to why this spurious situation exists I am at a loss to explain.

The terminal at LCTKL is currently undergoing renovation

According to The Star, the expansion work at LCCT has already completed:

<h3 id="story_date">Wednesday May 20, 2009</h3> <h1 id="story_title">LCCT expansion work completed</h1> <h2 id="story_byline">Story and photo by CHARLES FERNANDEZ</h2>

MALAYSIA Airports Hold-ings Berhad (MAHB) has completed the expansion work on the low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) at the KL Inter-national Airport (KLIA) in Sepang, which included new international departure and arrival halls, a public concourse, government offices, a curbside and a parking area.

However, by 2011 the current LCCT will be converted into a cargo-handling terminal once the new terminal is completed.

Construction of the new RM2bil LCCT is expected to start by the middle of this year and scheduled for completion by the third quarter of 2011....

rgs2001uk

Your post is ridiculous for the reasons outlined in my original post.

However FYI, I flew BKK to LHR on Malaysian Airlines with a minimal 55 minute transit in KLIA. Needless to say I did not have to clear immigration in KL and my bags were checked at BKK straight through to LHR in complete contrast to your post.

Just last month, I did the BKK to Stansted on Air Asia. Transitting at KL's LCCT, I, of course had to clear immigration and re-check in my baggage. This is because Air Asia is a point-to-point carrier only as I and other posters have pointed out.

Instead of scatter-gun criticism, perhaps you'd like to provide info on what airline you flew with from BKK to KUL and what airline you flew with from KUL to Australia and why the airline(s) could not process you and your baggage all the way through. I'm sure you'll find there is a very logical reason and not that KLIA is "f****d up" in your words.

KL is hardly unique in this regard.

I have had to do this under 2 scenarios at your seemingly favourite airport - Changi.

1.Flying Perth - Bangkok (or the other way) on Tiger you will have to clear Immigration and Customs at the inwards Changi LCT, pick up your luggage and re-check it, along with going through Immigration again, at the adjacent outwards LCT.

2. I recently flew Emirates from Melbourne to Singapore, with an onward flight on Jetstar to Bangkok. Again, I was required to go through a similar inwards/outwards routine as described above, except at Terminal 1.

rgs2001uk

However FYI, I flew BKK to LHR on Malaysian Airlines with a minimal 55 minute transit in KLIA. Needless to say I did not have to clear immigration in KL and my bags were checked at BKK straight through to LHR in complete contrast to your post.

Just last month, I did the BKK to Stansted on Air Asia. Transitting at KL's LCCT, I, of course had to clear immigration and re-check in my baggage. This is because Air Asia is a point-to-point carrier only as I and other posters have pointed out.

Instead of scatter-gun criticism, perhaps you'd like to provide info on what airline you flew with from BKK to KUL and what airline you flew with from KUL to Australia and why the airline(s) could not process you and your baggage all the way through. I'm sure you'll find there is a very logical reason and not that KLIA is "f****d up" in your words.

Briggsy,

My post be may be as ridiculous as your replies.

The reasons outlined in your original post do not apply, do you mean your second post? again nothing to do with the situation I faced.

It is impossible for me to provide you with the information you request, read my original post and subsequent post, but to reitterate for you, I did not say I flew from Bkk to KL, neither did I say I flew from KL to Australia.

I stated I was transitting through KL on route to Thailand.

My fellow passengers on route to Australia were doing the same.

I have never flown Air Asia,Tiger,Jetstar or the like in my life, so I am in no position to comment on what restrictions may be imposed by choosing to fly a low cost airline.

I have no explanation as to why the airline could not process baggage to my destination, however if instead of scatter-gun criticism you are able to provide me with a very logical explanation I would be all ears, its more than the airline and KLIA were able to do.

I stand by statement to advise all passengers transitting through KL to enquire if there baggage can be booked straight through to their destination, if not allow time to enter and leave the country.

I am pleased to hear you had a hassle free journey.

rgs2001uk

Briggsy,

The reasons outlined in your original post do not apply, do you mean your second post? again nothing to do with the situation I faced.

It is impossible for me to provide you with the information you request, read my original post and subsequent post, but to reitterate for you, I did not say I flew from Bkk to KL, neither did I say I flew from KL to Australia.

I have never flown Air Asia,Tiger,Jetstar or the like in my life, so I am in no position to comment on what restrictions may be imposed by choosing to fly a low cost airline.

I have no explanation as to why the airline could not process baggage to my destination, however if instead of scatter-gun criticism you are able to provide me with a very logical explanation I would be all ears, its more than the airline and KLIA were able to do.

I stand by statement to advise all passengers transitting through KL to enquire if there baggage can be booked straight through to their destination, if not allow time to enter and leave the country.

rgs it would be very helpful if you could tell us the name of the airline(s) with which you were flying.

Others may then be able to share their experiences with that airline, to determine whether your situation was a one-off, or normal procedure.

Surely this was the point of Briggsy's posts.

rgs2001uk

Briggsy,

Ladies as a man who every month travels from Thailand to Malaysia/Return the simple fact is the pricing. I have traveled on Air Asia,Thai Air,Lufthanser,and Malaysia Airlines on this route, and by far Air Asia is the Cheapest, no frills, one stop airline which has its own terminal in KL and its one where everytime yer'll have to get your luggage, check it in again and go through immigration.

The other airlines uses the main KLIA terminals so it maybe possible to check right through to Bkk.

In other words you pays your price you gets your choice.

I fly about 100 AirAsia sectors last year. Mostly domestic Thailand, also KL, SIN, DPS. Never check any bags, never pay for seat selection, never buy any meals, never pay for the insurance.

30 mins late is quite normals, very seldom an hour late, and only twice more than 2 hours late (which I get 1,800 Baht compensation). I find KL-LCCT very efficient and comfortable after the renovation. Before the make over, there was hardly a standing room during peak hours. Only complaint is that there is no rail link. The 9RMY bus is OK, but the journey time (75 mins) is a big too long and uncomfortable. If I go for the taxi, even the budget one, it will cost more than the airticket (tax all in) I paid for.

All in all, it is value for money. You get what you paid for.

rgs2001uk

Briggsy,

rgs it would be very helpful if you could tell us the name of the airline(s) with which you were flying.

Others may then be able to share their experiences with that airline, to determine whether your situation was a one-off, or normal procedure.

So in the absence of a response rgs, would it be reasonable that people should dismiss and ignore your initial comment about KL Airport on this thread?

rgs2001uk

Briggsy,

So in the absence of a response rgs, would it be reasonable that people should dismiss and ignore your initial comment about KL Airport on this thread?

Seconded.