Stock Trader In Thailand For 3 Months Need *reliable* 3mb Internet (international)- Possible?

idiot farang

I've never lived in BKK so I cannot comment on power issues there but in Pattaya and upcountry you sometimes get these 1-2 second blips that knock you off the internet. With the UPS I always seem to stay connected to DSL. I'd also have a UPS that protects you from surges as lighting is frequent here.

I just bought two Acer X233h monitors for $157 USD per, 1920x1200 and I think they are 23". UPS was I think another $100. Might be cheaper to buy what you need here.

I need to figure out the right combination of equipment that will make this work. I think with both Maxnet Premeir and EVDO I can pretty much approach the reliability of my dual connection in the US. I don't experience the problems others have with their DSL, hardly get knocked off for example. I don't know if that's luck or because I pay more.

Once again, thanks. i never even considered buying LCD's there as my experience has been that computer and electronics stuff is way more expensive in LOS than in the US. where did you buy them? If you come up with a load balancing combo solution that works well, i'd appreciate it if you'd post it to this thread or PM me. thanks.

After posts on this thread, i was already considering buying the 12 month pre-paid EVDO and offering the balance of months at a good price by posting it here. i could do the same with the LCD's. buy them, use them for 2-3 months and then sell them 1/2 price to someone here- everyone wins kinda thing. if i could get 22 or 23" monitors at that price, i'd definitely go that route.

Live out in the sticks and no other option but True..

Never had a problem with the internet connection, have 3mb @ 590 baht per month

Last Result:

Download Speed: 2656 kbps (332 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 432 kbps (54 KB/sec transfer rate)

TEST TIME:: Friday May 22, 2009, 08:37 AM

Last Result:

Is this international or Thai Server speedtest?

Last Result:

No idea

The one I use is from Singapore

Just done another via http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

Today 03:25 842 kbps (105kB/s) 322 kbps (40.3kB/s)

Last Result:

No idea

The one I use is from Singapore

Just done another via http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

Today 03:25 842 kbps (105kB/s) 322 kbps (40.3kB/s)

Yeh thats TRUE for sure international bandwidth sucks but cant complain for 590baht i guess.

I get this on CSLOXINFO 4mb SME on www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk but u pay about 8x more than true. Downloading from Newgroups with 10 connections at 434kB/s - which equates to a 4gb dvd in around 3 hours which is not so bad.

Date Download Speed Upload Speed

Today 04:14 2753 kbps (344kB/s) 382 kbps (47.8kB/s)

Edited by namoo

Thanks for the input. One question: have you had 'business' dsl service or the regular consumer? seems from the posters to the thread (albeit a small sample size, it's very consistent), that the quality of the service is far greater with the business class services.

Yes, but in my case it didn't help. Location and the quality of your local infrastructure is quite important. If you're out on the edges of signal range then a business grade package won't help you because the bottleneck will be at your local infrastructure. But if you are fortunate to live nearby and if the wires are in reasonable condition then it might.

Once again, thanks. i never even considered buying LCD's there as my experience has been that computer and electronics stuff is way more expensive in LOS than in the US. where did you buy them? If you come up with a load balancing combo solution that works well, i'd appreciate it if you'd post it to this thread or PM me. thanks.

After posts on this thread, i was already considering buying the 12 month pre-paid EVDO and offering the balance of months at a good price by posting it here. i could do the same with the LCD's. buy them, use them for 2-3 months and then sell them 1/2 price to someone here- everyone wins kinda thing. if i could get 22 or 23" monitors at that price, i'd definitely go that route.

I got my LCDs at IT City Airport Plaza, they have a decent selection, but there's also Panthip Plaza at the end of the Night Bazaar. I'll PM you if I get any results from the load balancing dsl.