Absentee Voting

bina

what happens if thai people dont vote??

no representative came out to talk with migrant workers here, no absentee ballots got sent to them, is there such a thing? when they go back to thailand and go for next round of voting whenever that is, can they vote?? i asked if they wanted to go to tel aviv to the consulate to vote and they said they dont think they can vote, this is similar to how it was for israelis living in the states etc,. they were not allowed to vote (unless stationed there in govt business).

Yes, there is an absentee voting for Thais. In LA, for instance, there was an absentee voting at Royal Thai Consulate and other places too. If Thais not vote, they can vote for the next round. Thai consittutional laws, however, state that all Thais aged 18 and over MUST vote. If there is nobody from the government came out to ask them to go to vote, Thai Consulate is at fault and should be procecuted under Thai consitution.

Golf is correct, there is absentee voting, I remember reading several thousands of Thais voted in the US. Sounds like the Thai embassy in Israel is not serving the interests of their people.

My understanding was that the registration for absentee voting was a month or two ago, don't think anything is mailed, believe they must go to the embassy/consulate. Not very convenient for people tho.

somehow i dont think it would be politic of me to go and talk to the consulate; i dont see thai workers that live 5 hours away in the desert finding a way to get to tel aviv to vote; especially since they dont ever ever really leave the moshavim they work on even to visit friends or relatives.... they're afraid of public transport (boom boom!) and taxis cost a fortune.... but definately had no reps come to us either (45 minutes away from t-a)..... i have a sneaky feeling that they really dont care for the 'issan' types working here, just from other dealings i've heard about also (they are known for their elitist attitude); i will have to delicately inquire to find out for next time.... which is when????

Bina, that is so sweet of you :o I wish Thai officers who work there hear what you said. It's a shame that they don't really care about issan workers over there. In fact, most Thai government officers in Thailand DON'T care about issan people. Issan people are kind and honest. They don't like rocking the boat and they afraid of those officers. Maybe officers at Thai Consulate should get a slap in their faces when farang woman tells them to go out and do the work they suppose to do for Thai people.

Golf

thank you golf,

you are right, the workers here are very nervous about rocking the boat or demanding something from the consulate officers --i'm sure they get 'help $' from the manpower companies, etc..... but i dont wont to make allegations on the internet..

and i am equally afraid that my making trouble could have reprecussions for poeple here so have to be very very very diplomatic

congrats on baby!!!! good luck in states......

thank you golf,

you are right, the workers here are very nervous about rocking the boat or demanding something from the consulate officers --i'm sure they get 'help $' from the manpower companies, etc..... but i dont wont to make allegations on the internet..

and i am equally afraid that my making trouble could have reprecussions for poeple here so have to be very very very diplomatic

congrats on baby!!!!  good luck in states......

I recently read where some 300,000 ballots from overseas Thais were delivered to the Election Commission and have seen first hand such balloting taking place in Singapore previously.

The Thais working in Israel, unfortunately, fall into a very gray area, as I don't think working there is officially sanctioned by the government and believe the it is actually forbidden in certain areas. Understandable they would be hesitant to approach their consular officials.

There are at least 3 people I know about from my wife's village working in Israel. Used to more, but most have come home now.

TH

The Thais working in Israel, unfortunately, fall into a very gray area, as I don't think working there is officially sanctioned by the government and believe the it is actually forbidden in certain areas. Understandable they would be hesitant to approach their consular officials.

There are at least 3 people I know about from my wife's village working in Israel. Used to more, but most have come home now.

didnt realize that, since they all arrive with work visas (at least in the beginning); and udon thani has about a million manpower companies plying their trade....

do u have more info???? i assume the 'certain areas' are gazza and the territories :o /// a polite euphemism .....most countries dont officially endorse anyone to work or volunteer there but theory and practice apart....

what village/area u at ??