British Woman Killed In Thailand Hit And Run To Be Laid To Rest Back Home

sriracha john

claire-cox.jpg

Claire Cox

Woman killed in Thailand hit-and-run

The funeral service of a charity worker killed in a hit-and-run crash in Thailand, who grew up in Dobbs Weir and had lived in Ware, will take place on Saturday (May 23).

Mum-of-one Claire Cox, 42, and her boyfriend died instantly when a pick-up truck on the wrong side of the road ploughed into them while they were on holiday.

Two days earlier, Claire made a telephone call to her parents, Bill and Joan Clenshaw, saying she was planning to come home early. Tragically, she died on the very day she intended returning to Britain.

Her grieving family are struggling to come to terms with the tragedy. Her sister-in-law Chris Clenshaw said: “It was the first time she had been to Thailand; it was a very beautiful place she was staying in.

"A memorial was held for her there and the hotelier and dive instructor said she was really lovely and that she was happy, which is a comfort for us."

"She was lively, laughed a lot, was very caring; she was popular with her friends and knew a lot of people. She loved decorating and was always doing her house up; she was half-way through the sale of her house when this happened."

Saturday's (May 23) funeral service at St Mary’s Church in Little Hallingbury will be followed by burial in Sawbridgeworth.

Thai police are investigating the accident, which happened on the island of Koh Samui on April 29. Officers are still looking for the truck driver, who ran away after the collision.

Claire, who grew up in Dobbs Weir, worked at KKS in Hoddesdon and lived in Ware and Harlow before moving to Ipswich six years ago, leaves her son, Adam, aged 17.

She worked as a finance administrator for Mencap Ipswich and was involved in the Genesis Project, which aims to improve the lives of disabled people in Suffolk.

Nino Serritiello, chief executive officer of Mencap Ipswich, said: “Claire was a much-valued member of staff and close friend to many at Genesis. She will be missed greatly.”

- Hertfordshire Mercury (UK) / 2009-05-21

Mods: Please remove "British" from the thread title's subtitled description of the boyfriend as it can not be definitively established, at this time, that her boyfriend that was also killed, was British. Please excuse my error.

Additional past reports on the incident:

Charity worker killed in holiday hit-and-run

Tributes have been paid to a charity worker from Suffolk who was killed in a hit and run accident while on holiday in Thailand.

Claire Cox, 42, died last week during a break in the Southeast Asian country.

A Foreign Office spokeswoman confirmed that Thai police were investigating her death after the accident on the Island of Koh Samui on April 29.

Claire worked as a finance administrator for Mencap Ipswich and was involved in the Genesis Project, which aims to improve the lives of disabled people in Suffolk.

Nino Serritiello, chief executive officer of Mencap Ipswich, paid tribute to Claire, who had worked for the charity for two and a half years.

He said: “It is with great sadness that we can confirm that our finance administrator Claire Cox tragically had a fatal accident in Thailand last week and that relatives have been informed.

“Our thoughts are with her family, especially Adam, her son, and we have and will continue to provide any possible help and assistance.”

Koh Samui is located off the east coast of Thailand's Kra Isthmus and is the second most visited Thai island, behind Phuket. Tourism has recently overtaken coconut production as its main industry.

- East Anglian Daily Times / ‎May 6, 2009‎

=====================================================================

Tributes to holiday tragedy mum

Neighbours have paid tribute to a fantastic mother who was killed in a hit-and-run accident while on holiday in Thailand.

Claire Cox, 42, from Bramford Road, Ipswich, died during a holiday in the Southeast Asian country, on the popular island of Koh Samui.

The charity worker, who leaves a son, Adam, has been remembered by her next-door neighbour Roger Prophet and his family as having a very distinctive and contagious laugh.

Mr Prophet said: "You could not have wished for a better neighbour, everybody got on well with her, you could not fail to laugh along with her."

"She was a kind of person who could not keep still, always active."

"I remember when she bought a bike so that she could bike to work and was very pleased with herself that she was keeping fit."

He added: "From what I saw of her and Adam together she seemed a fantastic mother, a credit to single mums."

"Sometimes you could hear her shouting at Adam through the walls to hurry up out of the shower, which would often make me and my wife chuckle to ourselves."

The Prophet family said they missed their "one of a kind" neighbour and still expected to bump into her outside their homes.

"We both keep our cars parked behind our houses and I still expect her to pull up and have a chat about work or life in general."

"It has been a pleasure for our family to have been her neighbour and to get to know Claire and her son Adam."

"She truly was one of a kind and our family miss her terribly, and I would like to offer Adam our deepest sympathy."

After living so close to Claire for the last four years Mr Prophet explained how he would help her with odd bits of DIY around her house, as well as keeping a spare key in case she was ever locked out.

He said: "Over the years she lived there she transformed the house, doing most of the work herself and often employing me and asking me for advice or if I could recommend other trades persons, which I often did for her."

Claire worked as a finance administrator for Mencap Ipswich and was involved in the Genesis Project, which aims to improve the lives of disabled people in Suffolk.

- Ipswich Evening Star / ‎May 16, 2009

Edited by sriracha john

Mother-of-one Claire Cox, 42, and her boyfriend died instantly when a pick-up truck on the wrong side of the road plowed into them while they were on holiday.

Thai police are investigating the accident, which happened on the island of Koh Samui on April 29. Officers are still looking for the truck driver, who ran away after the collision.

Look both ways when crossing any street regardless of which way the traffic is supposed to go. TiT.

Mother-of-one Claire Cox, 42, and her boyfriend died instantly when a pick-up truck on the wrong side of the road plowed into them while they were on holiday.

Look both ways when crossing any street regardless of which way the traffic is supposed to go. TiT.

Nearly a month later, and no arrest. Shameful :)

RIP...

Something really has to be done about those truck drivers, racing around samui at 100 kmh !

there will be more sad deaths still to come, unless they crack down on them

RIP

My sentiments EXACTLY, clamp on the COMPANIES not just the drivers....

They pay the cement and dump trucks by the load delivered, to ostensibly keep them from dawdling,

in effect it puts a premuim on driving as fast as they dare, and Thai drivers dare to drive fast anyway...

I ASSUME a truck, car, bike or anything moving will want to take my lane as theirs,

and not back down at ANY TIME I AM ON THE ROAD, in vehicles or on foot.

Sadly most tourists DON'T get told this is how it is here...

Crying shame for this nice couple on their last day.

My condolences to their families.

Ooooh...... :) So sad :D

I worry about bringing my family up with such poor traffic enforcement and reckless driving. World over, traffic accidents are number one cause of death, though it must be so much higher in Thailand still....

Rest In Peace.

Another sad story that didn't need to happen. There's more, and more, and more, everyday. They just keep coming. How sad.

Pick up trucks seem to be 'raise your status' symbols for many drivers

and then the drivers seem to think;

'passing someone makes them a notch higher in status again.'

Got passed this AM on the big bike driving the daughter to school.

Idiot INSITED on passing us on the inside of a blind corner...

KNOWING that the cars in front of my bike were 10 deep

and he can't pass them, but HAD TO PASS the BIKE...

I would have passed the cars if I thought it safe, or any point to it.

but there was no point, yet this wingnut HAD to pass me.

He is quite typical sadly and this is why farang visitors get hurt so much,

no one expects something THIS STUPID to happen,

so aren't prepared...

Again condolences to the families.

RIP,

I've been hit once and had my feet run over several times,

Look both ways, and continue looking both ways while crossing, still no guarantee, :)

Edited by cobra

A great many accidents happen on Samui, especially people who ride motorcycles. The narrow twisty road with steep ups and downs should have more warnings about it. Doesn't say exactly where on Samui that this hit n run accident took place. Wouldn't surprise me if it was near a bend and hill.

there is another news report today about 2 British young fellas dead in Pattaya :

Two die in Thai motorbike crash

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/8063691.stm

"Two British men, thought to be holidaymakers, have died in a motorbike crash in Thailand.

Alex George and Matthew Jenkins, who are believed to be from Llanelli, Carmarthenshire and both aged 23, died in the early hours of Friday morning.

Witnesses reportedly told Thai police that the bike the two men were riding crashed into a pavement in front of a supermarket. "

I wonder, is it really possible to die from hitting the pavement ? sounds rather fishy.

Thai media has stupidly pronounced them as being Ukranians :

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...-accident-in-Pa

In case anybody didn't know already, there's many motorcycle accidents in Samui. There are both fatalities and injured, the latter usually serious. In 1995 the hospital installed alot of modern equipment to benefit from all the farang motor cycle accidents so that insurance companies didn't need to switch people to Bangkok. If you visit the hospital there's lots of Brits there in ICU and on machines with extensive brain damage, who've been there up to two years sometimes without any visit from their families.

THE WHOLE THING IS A VERY, VERY SAD RIP OFF.

claire-cox.jpg

Claire Cox

The funeral service of a charity worker killed in a hit-and-run crash in Thailand, who grew up in Dobbs Weir and had lived in Ware, will take place on Saturday (May 23).

Mum-of-one Claire Cox, 42, and her boyfriend died instantly when a pick-up truck on the wrong side of the road ploughed into them while they were on holiday.

Two days earlier, Claire made a telephone call to her parents, Bill and Joan Clenshaw, saying she was planning to come home early. Tragically, she died on the very day she intended returning to Britain.

Her grieving family are struggling to come to terms with the tragedy. Her sister-in-law Chris Clenshaw said: "It was the first time she had been to Thailand; it was a very beautiful place she was staying in.

"A memorial was held for her there and the hotelier and dive instructor said she was really lovely and that she was happy, which is a comfort for us."

"She was lively, laughed a lot, was very caring; she was popular with her friends and knew a lot of people. She loved decorating and was always doing her house up; she was half-way through the sale of her house when this happened."

Saturday's (May 23) funeral service at St Mary's Church in Little Hallingbury will be followed by burial in Sawbridgeworth.

Claire, who grew up in Dobbs Weir, worked at KKS in Hoddesdon and lived in Ware and Harlow before moving to Ipswich six years ago, leaves her son, Adam, aged 17.

She worked as a finance administrator for Mencap Ipswich and was involved in the Genesis Project, which aims to improve the lives of disabled people in Suffolk.

Nino Serritiello, chief executive officer of Mencap Ipswich, said: "Claire was a much-valued member of staff and close friend to many at Genesis. She will be missed greatly."

if you are member of the family please investigate this death... So many foreigners are dying in this country with no reason... All my feelings are with the family right now...

Edited by sunray69

there is another news report today about 2 British young fellas dead in Pattaya :

"Two British men, thought to be holidaymakers, have died in a motorbike crash in Thailand.

Alex George and Matthew Jenkins, who are believed to be from Llanelli, Carmarthenshire and both aged 23, died in the early hours of Friday morning.

Witnesses reportedly told Thai police that the bike the two men were riding crashed into a pavement in front of a supermarket. "

I wonder, is it really possible to die from hitting the pavement ? sounds rather fishy.

Apparently they hit the pavement and then flew into a bus stop or pole of some sort. Unsure if they were wearing helmets.

Pick up trucks seem to be 'raise your status' symbols for many drivers

and then the drivers seem to think;

'passing someone makes them a notch higher in status again.'

Got passed this AM on the big bike driving the daughter to school.

Idiot INSITED on passing us on the inside of a blind corner...

KNOWING that the cars in front of my bike were 10 deep

and he can't pass them, but HAD TO PASS the BIKE...

I would have passed the cars if I thought it safe, or any point to it.

but there was no point, yet this wingnut HAD to pass me.

He is quite typical sadly and this is why farang visitors get hurt so much,

no one expects something THIS STUPID to happen,

so aren't prepared...

Again condolences to the families.

Ride on Brother - as we all know, we on Bikes automatically lose, irregardless of the circumstances - I witnessd a shooting on Ventura Highway California based on the same scenario, Cycle rider just got fed up with the idiot trying to pass him every minute, even though the taffic was backed up - no he didn't pop the dumb B@tch driving the big SUV, he shot out the front tires when they were at a standstill, them calmly drove away. I and others around me couldn't help but give him a standing ovation, she was probably late for a hairdresser appointment. Doubt she will be passing any motorcycles anytime soon. :D:):D

A great many accidents happen on Samui, especially people who ride motorcycles. The narrow twisty road with steep ups and downs should have more warnings about it. Doesn't say exactly where on Samui that this hit n run accident took place. Wouldn't surprise me if it was near a bend and hill.

Hit and runs are an everyday occurance in Thailand for a variety of reasons: either they are drunk, scared of the victims friends will beat them to death, dont have a license (or fake license), and many other reasons (none of them valid).

Most of what people are saying is true: Look BOTH ways, car drivers are arrogant and ignorant, no footpaths, people must give way to cars, illegal bought licenses (500 baht), bad or no driver education, massive drunk driving, no policing, Foreigners unaware of the dangers of Thai driving, etc...

It can be the straightest road in the world and you can still get hit and die. For Thais its a fact/way of life, for foreigners its a needless tragedy. As has been said many times on this and other websites, someone needs to warn foreigners of the dangers of visiting countries such as Thailand. (Thailand will not change so its our reponsibility to be aware of the dangers). This will make travelers stay safer and happier, please DO; tell your friends and relatives and newspapers and websites of these dangers and help others not to fall into the pitfalls of another country.

In my job I have had more trauma experience in the last 9 years than an ER doctor would have in his lifetime back home!

My deepest condolences to the family and the victims RIP

claire-cox.jpg

Claire Cox

Her grieving family are struggling to come to terms with the tragedy. Her sister-in-law Chris Clenshaw said: "It was the first time she had been to Thailand; it was a very beautiful place she was staying in.

Saturday's (May 23) funeral service at St Mary's Church in Little Hallingbury will be followed by burial in Sawbridgeworth.

Nino Serritiello, chief executive officer of Mencap Ipswich, said: "Claire was a much-valued member of staff and close friend to many at Genesis. She will be missed greatly."

if you are member of the family please investigate this death... So many foreigners are dying in this country with no reason... All my feelings are with the family right now...

This is dam_n true! I go to many foreigners deaths as part of my job and I have seen police and doctors miss a stab wound that a volunteer (with 2 days first aid training) later discovered after CIFS (investigation team) and doctor had left the scene. Sure it would be picked up in the autopsy but its not the point, the crime scene was now compromised. The initial cause of death: Suicide from the 9th floor. Whether or not that was changed later is not known. Unfortunately I have no access to that information. This is only 1 story, of MANY!

Hit and runs are an everyday occurance in Thailand for a variety of reasons: either they are drunk, scared of the victims friends will beat them to death, dont have a license (or fake license), and many other reasons (none of them valid).

Most of what people are saying is true: Look BOTH ways, car drivers are arrogant and ignorant, no footpaths, people must give way to cars, illegal bought licenses (500 baht), bad or no driver education, massive drunk driving, no policing, Foreigners unaware of the dangers of Thai driving, etc...

It can be the straightest road in the world and you can still get hit and die. For Thais its a fact/way of life, for foreigners its a needless tragedy. As has been said many times on this and other websites, someone needs to warn foreigners of the dangers of visiting countries such as Thailand. (Thailand will not change so its our reponsibility to be aware of the dangers). This will make travelers stay safer and happier, please DO; tell your friends and relatives and newspapers and websites of these dangers and help others not to fall into the pitfalls of another country.

In my job I have had more trauma experience in the last 9 years than an ER doctor would have in his lifetime back home!

My deepest condolences to the family and the victims RIP

This is all so true and wise by markokang. Thank you for a very good post. And soooo sorry about this sad and tragic event.

I can see these type of drivers at Samui all the time. The are just lethal idiots. This one was most likely drunk. The lack of road curbs and pavements doesn't help as well. Samui doesn't actually have any places suitable for walking apart from along the beach. There is so much here that could be done to improve the island and so little being done about it. The place is just overriden by corruption and ignorance and serves as a cash cow for quick money. Please Khun Aphisit help Samui.

I remember recently some nobhead was having a dig at the UK for police using speeding cameras to catch criminals.This could have stopped the madmen on the thai roads.

And you honestly think that anyone would take any notice of speed camera's in this country.It's not only speed that kill's it's their total inability to drive most of the time.

Very sad.R.I.P..

Friend of mine was killed last Monday doing his visa run to Ranong.

Also hit by a truck

It is very possibly to die from falling onto the pavement. Happens everyday from not using a helmet.

I remember recently some nobhead was having a dig at the UK for police using speeding cameras to catch criminals.This could have stopped the madmen on the thai roads.

I totally agree on this buddy but will it ever <deleted>****ing happen in thailand like fuc_k it will and us tourists that keep this place alive will continue to be hurt and killed and sweet F ALL will happen to the thai's as the lazy f***ing thai police hav'nt got a clue :)