Window Film, 60%, 80%

Hi--------

Anyone know about window film?

Is 80% too dark? (side windows, driver and passenger)

Any problem with cops if have 80% window film?

Is 60% dark enough?

When I bought my car two years ago I was told it was illegal to have more than 40% on the front window and 60% on the side/rear windows, but like everything else here it's not enforced.

go for a lighter tint but have the reflective coating on the outside. best bet by far. Just had mine done HI-Cool and what i difference to the old film, its much cooler in side now. Allan

I got mine done 10 days ago, 60% in the front and 80% in the rear. I was surprised how bright it was inside the car afterwards.

To give you an idea of price, I paid 3500 baht for a ford focus, the film is Smartech, an American brand with a 8 year guarantee. It took about 2 1/2 hours. At another shop i was quoted 4500 baht for 3M film

Nidge.

The law about windowfilm disappeared a couple of years ago. :)

My experience is that more than 60% sidewindows you cant use the mirrors at night. Windshield I dont like to cover (reduces night vision too much) except for the upper part.

A light color like silver reflects heat better than black, and is less visible from inside car.

I agree there. Mine is fine at night @60%, it's not black but "smoke grey", easy to see out but almost impossible to see in. Reversing at night is not so easy with 80% at the back. I really would not like to drive with that at the front.

I have 60% mirror effect sides and rear, 40% black on the front, its quiet good and doesnt effect the mirrors.

I got the lumina film and it doesnt seems to blur oncoming lights at night like some do.

to the guys saying 60% is too much. then i assume 40 is ideal in your opinion?

how about 20 front and 40 sides?

I just went from 60 / 80 to 20 / 40. Its 3M. Im happy with the result. The aircon has no problem coping, and its a lot better visibilty in the dark. Recommended!

• 1 month later...

Getting some film put on my car windows shortly. From reading this thread it sounds like that +60% is too much on the sides for night time driving.

What percentages do the films come in?

Many posts about 20 40 60 80, is there film in-between thiese? 30 50 70 etc

If there is then I think I'll go for 30% front and front sides and 50% rear sides and rear. Also looks like 3M reflective brand comes out pretty high up the list over Hi-Cool, V-Cool etc

Any thoughts?

I've got black tint. 80% at the back and rear side windows, 60% on the front side windows and 40% at the front.

I have absolutely no trouble seeing out, night or day, or indeed any condition. You also cant really notice the difference in tints looking from the outside in.

Don't go too dark on your side windows or at night you will have trouble seeing in your side mirrors

Agreed. I have the 'mirror' film on my truck and have to drop the windows when pulling out to turn right at night. (For my own safety and equipped with the knowledge that there are many motorbikes without lights around here.)

The strength depends on what type of film you use at night...

I use lamina, 60% in front and 80% all the way round, bright at night time or in the shade, but still keeps the heat out during the sunny day.

My mate has a pick up and he has a different brand than I do and his 80% is just awful, would never drive with that at night time!

Have a look at the charts they have in their shops and then take them into a bit darker room, you will see which film is the better one, but do remember, the more you pay, the better brand you will get!

• 14 years later...

just an update note... 
The Malaysians do have common sense in regard to window tinting:

"The regulation on the use of tinted windows based on the percentage of permissible visible light transmission (VLT) is 70 per cent for the front windscreen, 50 per cent for front side windows and 30 per cent for rear side windows and rear screen."

they recently warned drivers again to comply or risk a fine of max. 15000 baht or max half year jail for first conviction and double that for next.

Thais use 40/60/80 percentages (how much light gets blocked) opposite to VLT (how much light gets through); what you actually will get seems variable.

Thai 40: VLT 40-80

Thai 60: VLT 20-40

Thai 80: VLT 5-20

indeed, the Malay law seems just VERY common sense and would certainly prevent a lot of accidents at night. Heck people with Thai 80% here already have problems navigating a dim parking garage...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

find it curious because 5% is darkest. 80% lightest.

Dark tints on windows affect visibility especially in low light - e.g .dawn and dusk and certainly contribute to crashes in Thailand. If you're driving into Malaysia you may not be admitted with dark tint - I've seen people stripping the tint off.

TTHe claims of the "cooling" effect of tinting is also highly exaggerated by the vendors. UV is aslo almost completely filtered out by untinted glass - so if they give you fantastic figures for this, bear in mind they are the same for untinted glass.

The way tints work make it much more difficult (impossible even) to communicate visually with other drivers - which actually is an important safety factor.

THere is a habit in Thailand of avoiding confrontation and dark windows suit this feeling excellently.

Edited by kwilco
  • Thanks 1