Tiger Boxer Modifications

mbox

This thread is specially for the ones who actually own or driven a Tiger Boxer...i got a 250 RS and did some modifications...not a lot but still worth to make it a topic i guess.

I will add the apropriate photos in a smaller files size as i do not wish this to be an online photoalbum, which takes to load forever and hope anyone else who posts here please try not to make this a photo page...we all know the reliable internet service in LOS:-).

To those who have suggestions , you are welcome to bring in some ides!But keep your feets on the ground.

And as a question ...how on earth do i get my magnetic tankbag stick on my plastic tank?

my ,so far, ideas are A) glue under the plasic a steel sheet or :) make a strap on top of tank with the steel sheet inside....i like A) better but would love to hear other suggestions.

Attached my pictures of the today installed digital speedo which works great so far, and another pic how my rs250 would look if the tankbag was holding...

As additional info my Bike also got and 34 sprocket today which makes the midrange acceleration really nice , top speed is higher too , but with 100 kg, a windshield ,a topbox full with heavy stuff , and stong wind towards me...i managed a 135km/h...not too bad i'd say,

need also to point out the great service i have received from tiger ...this is the 3rd time the came a 240 km for some real professional jbb they done...total of 3 technicians it was today.

hope to see more ideas here,Thx,

mbox

will add the promised photos on the next post as i can't resize them on my netbook here...

Edited by mbox

When you say 135 is that speedo or GPS verified? None the less, that's a good clip for a 250 laden down with all the stuff you have on it (and if you're the weight of most of the rest of us even better!). For whatever reason your picture isn't loading, but do you have woven brake lines? Might be something to look into since you've added all that gear.

Sorry if I'm intruding, but I was promised a ride on a Boxer.

This thread is specially for the ones who actually own or driven a Tiger Boxer...i got a 250 RS and did some modifications...not a lot but still worth to make it a topic i guess.

I will add the apropriate photos in a smaller files size as i do not wish this to be an online photoalbum, which takes to load forever and hope anyone else who posts here please try not to make this a photo page...we all know the reliable internet service in LOS:-).

To those who have suggestions , you are welcome to bring in some ides!But keep your feets on the ground.

And as a question ...how on earth do i get my magnetic tankbag stick on my plastic tank?

my ,so far, ideas are A) glue under the plasic a steel sheet or :) make a strap on top of tank with the steel sheet inside....i like A) better but would love to hear other suggestions.

Attached my pictures of the today installed digital speedo which works great so far, and another pic how my rs250 would look if the tankbag was holding...

As additional info my Bike also got and 34 sprocket today which makes the midrange acceleration really nice , top speed is higher too , but with 100 kg, a windshield ,a topbox full with heavy stuff , and stong wind towards me...i managed a 135km/h...not too bad i'd say,

need also to point out the great service i have received from tiger ...this is the 3rd time the came a 240 km for some real professional jbb they done...total of 3 technicians it was today.

mbox

will add the promised photos on the next post as i can't resize them on my netbook here...

Here the pics...

here the new speedo installed, it got total km, fuel gauge, trip km, time and speed , a blue backlight.

post-39208-1242990885_thumb.jpg

here a picture how the boxer would look with tankbag...you seealso , my topbox & windscreen on there.

post-39208-1242990962_thumb.jpg

mbox

mbox

Here the pics...

here the new speedo installed, it got total km, fuel gauge, trip km, time and speed , a blue backlight.

post-39208-1242990885_thumb.jpg

here a picture how the boxer would look with tankbag...you seealso , my topbox & windscreen on there.

post-39208-1242990962_thumb.jpg

mbox

forgot to mention the speedo also shows 'neutral, beam, indicator, and when you on highest gear...

When you say 135 is that speedo or GPS verified? None the less, that's a good clip for a 250 laden down with all the stuff you have on it (and if you're the weight of most of the rest of us even better!). For whatever reason your picture isn't loading, but do you have woven brake lines? Might be something to look into since you've added all that gear.

Sorry if I'm intruding, but I was promised a ride on a Boxer.

Hi dave,

this is not gps verified speed...so i will wait for our trip and see what your gps has to say:-) ...hmm i tought you where the heaviest:-) but i truly have to say the topbox was carrying the disk which has been exchanged of the front ( it is a digital speedo and there is "that part" i have no idea what its named is built in to measure the speed. Than there was a new holder for the speedo (so the older one in the top box) and the older 37 sprocket too besides all of the other crap i always have with...

i had differnet brake lines than the woven ones on the bros installed (that was on the front brakes)by the prior owner but lost the right name for it...but the idea is good maybe ad it to the wishlist on boxermc?

cheers,

mbox

mbox,

My Buell had the same problem with the plastic tank cover. Solved with two nylon straps about 3/4" wide attached to frame on each side to the frame at the front/under tank. and one that was attached to the bolt that holds the back of the tank down under the front of the seat, then up to attach to the bag of the bag. 3 quick clips like on a backpack and it was firmly attached. Removing/installing is still quick and easy too.

I realize it may not be so easy to visualize, but it works well and is the stock design for Buell and other tank bags.

Speedo look pretty good. I'll have to pick one up as a spare for later.

John

mbox,

My Buell had the same problem with the plastic tank cover. Solved with two nylon straps about 3/4" wide attached to frame on each side to the frame at the front/under tank. and one that was attached to the bolt that holds the back of the tank down under the front of the seat, then up to attach to the bag of the bag. 3 quick clips like on a backpack and it was firmly attached. Removing/installing is still quick and easy too.

I realize it may not be so easy to visualize, but it works well and is the stock design for Buell and other tank bags.

Speedo look pretty good. I'll have to pick one up as a spare for later.

John

pics or link to that "straps for tankbag" would be great as i might have to have it custom made...

Hi mbox,

i have nothing to add as on tuesday TIGEr will do the same job on my BOXER. always nice to change ideas with you.

charlie,

Tiger will service my bike on TUESDAY . again what a service

charlie

I dont want to sound offensive in any way, but I do wonder how good Tiger service is in general. It may be OK for them to service a few foreigners bikes for publicity on TV forums, but are they so good with the general public or the police for that matter?

This comes to mind as a local policeman tells me he has a number of faults with his 200 and that he has to wait until Tiger sends a truck to service or take away, as there is no service point in locality for repairs.

Would they also have been as good with TV foreigners for that matter if they did not have an English speaking manager or an enthusiastic purchaser who speaks fluent Thai.

I am not anti Tiger as I have thought at times to buy one, but I do read and hear of things not being right and components/accessories failing and think perhaps living a long way out of service areas might not be a good idea.

hi Tomatoh,

there is nothing wrong with your question. TIGER told me every police station all over Thailand has a service station for their BOXERS. Maybe a bit out of town but they have them. Suphanburi service point is in Si Prachan. about 25 k away. i checked it myself here and its correct. The police goes there with their boxers. I dont know about other provinces .

In Nakwan they go to Lat yao etc.

About the failings . These are mostly rumors which arent correct i rode my boxer nearly 20 k mostly on high roads and it never failed.Got hit once by a car and the so called cheap plastics werent damaged at all. Good qlty after all.

Dont be afrraid of this TIGER it wont hurt or bite you.

Charlie

He Tomartoh,

You have a good question, but the answer is simple, the Police motorcycles are bought with special service agreement. And yes, lots of police motorcycles are out of commission, this has little to do with Tiger Motorcycles, every motorcycle of any brand needs service oil, chains, sprockets, now-and-then a cable (if unlucky) etc... For this every police station in Thailand receives a budget, the downside is that the budget is mostly used for other things...

A good part of the Tiger Boxer 200 PX replaced old 2-stroke bikes, and police mechanics found that most of this ex-two-stroke riders had never replaced the engine oil. Also as there is no intensive to take care of the motorcycles, most police officers leave the bike in the weather, sun, rain sand, dirt all have free play... I personally find it amazing that so little of the police motorcycle have problems...

If we look at another group-purchase-motorcycle deal, the Honda Phantom is 80% out of commission, bough during the same period...

The Police head office is aware of the problem, and is now looking into service contracts with local dealers and pay them directly...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Richard; are you saying that our lovely protectors of peace and order siphoned money off of one account to pay for something else? That is so unlike^^^^haahaahaa. Can't even finish that bullshit.

And it's not uncommon. Look at any government. They'll siphon money off of here and there to hide how much they're actually spending; even the mighty US takes money from Social Security (elderly's national pension plan).

Kano, what happened to the rumour that Tiger closed that dealership in Lat Yao? Was it just that, a rumour, or is it partially true in that they they're only servicing the Tiger there? I have seen a group of 8 or so purplish 200cc (or whatever displacement they are) Boxers with a whole bunch of guys in brown uniforms riding them headed up the 1072 between Lat Yao and Hwy 1. I had assumed they were being taken to a station; perhaps they were actually going to be serviced?

Hi Dave,

I cant reply to your question about the LAT YAO dealership. I haven't spoken to Pariya for nearly 2 months. I'll update myself and ask him.

About 4 months ago the dealer was still there i've been there myself

Charlie

Hi Dave,

I cant reply to your question about the LAT YAO dealership. I haven't spoken to Pariya for nearly 2 months. I'll update myself and ask him.

Charlie

I do believe that mbox is headed there today to check it out.

Hi Dave,

Charlie

I do believe that mbox is headed there today to check it out.

Hi , i just checked today for the second time....even asked the Lat Yao Police...no tiger dealer/service in Lad Yao ...but i think it used to be at one of the 2 suzuki there ....may have changed into that...

mbox

• 1 month later...

Hi, i'm newbie to posting but been reading topics on thaivisa 4 a few years (while living in Cambodia)...

Moving to BKK next week (from Phnom Penh, where bikes are a LOT cheaper - about half the price it seems) and sadly it seems I have to leave my fantastic ole buddy, my Yamaha TTR250 Raid, behind as import into Thailand seems ridiculously expensive considering the bike's only worth about 45000 bht - :) ...

so now interested in best buy to go for in Thailand when I arrive and this Tiger Boxer sounds good value at least. But I'm a tall guy (6'3"/193cm) and am wondering if there's any modifications can be made to the Tiger Boxer to make it more comfortable for someone my height. My Yamaha TTR250 was perfect for me after I had the suspension jacked up - super-comfortable both for me and my (also tall) girlfriend as passenger, in traffic, touring and off-road too (plus it had the added bonus of being nearly impossible for locals to steal as anyone under 185cm would have difficulty getting on it :D ). Any ideas as to how/whether the Boxer could have mods to make it suitable for someone like me?

Also, how/where would one go looking for used 250s? Are they even on the 2nd hand market yet?

Cheers in advance for any replies. :D

• 2 months later...

hi Bike lovers,

A few months ago i asked Tiger to give the boxer a better outfit and identity.So here are the results.

I complained all the time about the headlight wasnt enough for a safe night ride.We both decided to go for the madass projector with a surrounding. Well u can see the German technology.The lights are very powerful and a lot brighter.On the highroad i can easily read the overhead roadsings from about 400 - 500 m distance.

The indicators are European standard by now. Better safety too other trafficers now exactly what you are up to next.(do thais care i dont know)

Here are some picture

post-69913-1251683069_thumb.jpg post-69913-1251683216_thumb.jpg

Charlie

hi Bike lovers,

A few months ago i asked Tiger to give the boxer a better outfit and identity.So here are the results.

I complained all the time about the headlight wasnt enough for a safe night ride.We both decided to go for the madass projector with a surrounding. Well u can see the German technology.The lights are very powerful and a lot brighter.On the highroad i can easily read the overhead roadsings from about 400 - 500 m distance.

The indicators are European standard by now. Better safety too other trafficers now exactly what you are up to next.(do thais care i dont know)

Here are some picture

Charlie

Charlie the bike looks certainly different and interesting now...i am sure you get a lot of attention on the bike...hopefully more girls than boys?

Now, how do i convince you to "upgrade" your topbox too? :-)

cheers,

mbox

• 1 month later...

Hi there, here is a small video of my Boxer 250 RS with the new headlight & new tankbag& front indicators..the console still will be worked on and same goes for the windscreen...rear indicator are also to be mounted( and i will exchange the rear view mirrors to different ones)...but i feel the round cb style light is a move to the right direction...anybody who have suggestions let me know.

if your internet is too slow for video i upload some pics too.

post-39208-1254473588_thumb.jpg

post-39208-1254473613_thumb.jpg

post-39208-1254473663_thumb.jpg

FYI, this shown is merely a prototype project and not available as special request ( as yet- at least)

keep the rubberside down,

mbox

Hi there, here is a small video of my Boxer 250 RS with the new headlight & new tankbag& front indicators..the console still will be worked on and same goes for the windscreen...rear indicator are also to be mounted( and i will exchange the rear view mirrors to different ones)...but i feel the round cb style light is a move to the right direction...anybody who have suggestions let me know.

post-39208-1254473663_thumb.jpg

FYI, this shown is merely a prototype project and not available as special request ( as yet- at least)

keep the rubberside down,

mbox

Looking and sounding good. The round light certainly makes it look more 'muscular', a definite improvement on the original. I think the console looks pretty good as it is but have to agree about the windscreen. The tint helps but it still looks like a bit of an afterthought. Waiting till next year for mine so hopefully you will have come up with the perfect solutions by then and Tiger will adopt them as standards.

Kano, how did you get this light fitted? I am in CM, and the local Tiger dealer is ,,shall we say, not very enthusiastic,,,,

Mbox, I like your round light a lot, tiger tells me thats its still in development, and suggested i fit a vector headlight. I am happy to do this,,but,,was it a major modification? were new light supports needed etc. Your replies appreciated, Thanx.

hi Bike lovers,

Here are some picture

Charlie

Kano, how did you get this light fitted? I am in CM, and the local Tiger dealer is ,,shall we say, not very enthusiastic,,,,

Mbox, I like your round light a lot, tiger tells me thats its still in development, and suggested i fit a vector headlight. I am happy to do this,,but,,was it a major modification? were new light supports needed etc. Your replies appreciated, Thanx.

hi Bike lovers,

Here are some picture

Charlie

Hi drfang,

The lights from kano are those ones from the E-Boxer and not too difficult to mount i'd say since the e-boxer was an existing Bike they built. On mine this is a different story, it isn't existing and it's done the first time. This is right to say it is still in developement...but i will keep you updated. The light works fine (yes its the vector light) now it is to change the Console and to find an appropriate windshield too...

There was a new mount for the light built...to my understanding...and for the console mostlikely too.

mbox

hi Bike lovers,

The indicators are European standard by now. Better safety too other trafficers now exactly what you are up to next.(do thais care i dont kno

Here are some picture

Charlie

Hi drfang,

The lights from kano are those ones from the E-Boxer and not too difficult to mount i'd say since the e-boxer was an existing Bike they built. On mine this is a different story, it isn't existing and it's done the first time. This is right to say it is still in developement...but i will keep you updated. The light works fine (yes its the vector light) now it is to change the Console and to find an appropriate windshield too...

There was a new mount for the light built...to my understanding...and for the console mostlikely too.

mbox

Thanks for the reply and PM mbox. I will hunt down a vector light and have a go at fitting it.