Tb Cert And Delayed Application Times

Something i had not thought to consider.

At the time of application my wife had already had her TB certificate for 2 and a half months.

With the steadily lengthening application times for the Settlement Visa, if the TB certificate which is good for 6 months were to run out before the visa was granted, would this then cause a rejection?

Seperately if the visa is granted in time but the TB certificate runs out before her flight would this alsso cause problems when entering the UK?

I would hope it would not come to this ( it would mean an even longer waiting time that anticipated)but it popped into my head today and i just wondered if any of the folk on here have any idea how this works.

Could you just go and get a new certificate and add it to your application package?

I honestly don't know. I would guess it COULD be a possibility but my wife is not in Bangkok while she waits so it would be a 600+ kilometre trip each way just to get tested again ( Another 50 quid) to put a new form in when she has already provided one with what we though was plenty of time on it.

I doubt it will come to this as even the longer waiting times in evidence at the moment do not seem to be 4 months......... yet.

Just wondering if the slow processing times could actually be the cause of a rejection or further delays.

Just wondering if the slow processing times could actually be the cause of a rejection or further delays.

I believe the slow processing times is a combination of the large number of visit visas at this time of year and Vietnam applications getting thrown into the mix.... I think Bangkok already does Laos and Cambodia..... And I don't think it help that is was school holidays as well.

On the day we put out application you could hardly move outside the VFS office........ By the time the wife had her biometrics done it was nearly 16:00, and we had been there since 09:30.

And at 15:00 there was a stampede to form a queue for collecting visas!!!! :)

I wouldn't start panicking abour your wifes TB certificate yet....

I believe the slow processing times is a combination of the large number of visit visas at this time of year and Vietnam applications getting thrown into the mix.... I think Bangkok already does Laos and Cambodia..... And I don't think it help that is was school holidays as well.

On the day we put out application you could hardly move outside the VFS office........ By the time the wife had her biometrics done it was nearly 16:00, and we had been there since 09:30.

And at 15:00 there was a stampede to form a queue for collecting visas!!!! :)

I wouldn't start panicking abour your wifes TB certificate yet....

We originally went to put our applications in on 20/3, the same day as you and I agree the waiting area was absolutely packed, I'd never seen it ant where near that busy before. When my wife finally got to hand in the paperwork at about 3 o'clock she was told that the copy of her daughter's custody/responsibility papers we'd supplied weren't acceptable, they had to be originals. So it was back to the Amphur on the Monday to get new paperwork, then back to the VFS office on the Tuesday, when it still seemed just as busy. At least they checked everything though, I wouldn't be happy if, after waiting over two months, my stepdaughters visa was refused because we hadn't supplied original paperwork.

Incidently while I was there on the 20th I got talking to a guy whose wife was applying for another tourist visa. she wanted to go to the UK in the middle of July, 3 1/2 months ahead, but was told she was applying too early and to go away and come back at the beginning of June. I know tourist visas are dealt with much quicker than settlement visas but with all these current delays they're not going to be very happy if it's not granted in time for when they want to travel.

I am not in a panick mate. This is more of a hypothetical query that popped into my mind.

I feel relatively confident we will get the Visa decision well before the Certificate runs out. (Fingers crossed.)

With a bit of luck should be within the next couple of weeks for both of us..... fingers crossed........

We originally went to put our applications in on 20/3, the same day as you and I agree the waiting area was absolutely packed, I'd never seen it ant where near that busy before. When my wife finally got to hand in the paperwork at about 3 o'clock she was told that the copy of her daughter's custody/responsibility papers we'd supplied weren't acceptable, they had to be originals. So it was back to the Amphur on the Monday to get new paperwork, then back to the VFS office on the Tuesday, when it still seemed just as busy. At least they checked everything though, I wouldn't be happy if, after waiting over two months, my stepdaughters visa was refused because we hadn't supplied original paperwork.

Incidently while I was there on the 20th I got talking to a guy whose wife was applying for another tourist visa. she wanted to go to the UK in the middle of July, 3 1/2 months ahead, but was told she was applying too early and to go away and come back at the beginning of June. I know tourist visas are dealt with much quicker than settlement visas but with all these current delays they're not going to be very happy if it's not granted in time for when they want to travel.

You might have seen me then........ I was the scruffy long haired falang standing about!!!

We went on the Wednesday 25th and did not arrive till quite late............ 2ish in the afternoon. The queue was pretty big and the guys in the office next door said it was all student and holiday visa applications going through.

The waiting time for us was about 2 hours before she could go in and submit the application.

I am still hoping our application gets through in the next week or so. Problem is, i get the impression that if anything the Visa application processing times on Settlement Visa's are taking a back seat and getting longer and longer.

Annoying thing is that when we were making our plans we went by the normal processing times for December/January which was largely 15-30 days.

I remember the 15 day mark at the time was averaging around 60% and it was on 98% within 30 days.

Not fun as you already know having to put your life on hold.

Not fun as you already know having to put your life on hold.

I know what you mean...... Since coming back home at the start of April I haven't been able to plan anything more than 2 or 3 days ahead....

Fingers crossed, I might be flying out 1st week of June...... and there is reward seats available at the moment.....

Planning on spending a few days up north with the in-laws before heading back home with the wife....... And maybe squeeze in a night out in party town to see me mates - I'm sure the wife won't mind..... :)

Hi My wife was refused on the first application, and was granted on the second some three months later, but by the time she travelled the had expired, so she had to get a second certificate, but she was living in bangkok so no real problem, but I can see this causing problems so why does the certificate have to be submitted with the application, why could they not make it a condition of the granting of the visa that a tb certificate has to be obtained prior to arrival in the uk?

by the time she travelled the had expired, so she had to get a second certificate

Can I ask who told you she needed a second certificate?

As far as I'm aware, as long as the certificate is valid when one applies that is ok. UK immigration should have no need to see a TB certificate as one could not have got the visa without one.

by the time she travelled the had expired, so she had to get a second certificate

As far as I'm aware, as long as the certificate is valid when one applies that is ok. UK immigration should have no need to see a TB certificate as one could not have got the visa without one.

I have heard of one person being asked to produce the TB cert on arriving at Heathrow for the first time. Don't know if that is the norm but it can happen.

I have heard of one person being asked to produce the TB cert on arriving at Heathrow for the first time. Don't know if that is the norm but it can happen.

guys when myself and my mrs went for the tb test ,they the iom clearly stated to us and everybody else you must carry the certificate in your hand luggage for inspection by the immagration on arrival. :)

guys when myself and my mrs went for the tb test ,they the iom clearly stated to us and everybody else you must carry the certificate in your hand luggage for inspection by the immagration on arrival. :)

Cheers mate. That confirms one of my thoughts anyway.

Now i just need to know if the Visa application itself could be refused because they have taken too long to process it.

As i said before, we still have a little under 2 months left on the TB certificate (obtained it 12 january) and the Application was made 9 weeks ago but the way things are going i am not counting my chickens yet.

Edited by Merangue

I am not in a panick mate. This is more of a hypothetical query that popped into my mind.

I feel relatively confident we will get the Visa decision well before the Certificate runs out. (Fingers crossed.)

I hope things go your way ,, in our case my wife had to go back to BKK to re test TB and she lived 12 hours away on the bus , the bstrds also made her re test all week 5 days at 6am in the morning ,, so I had the same mate pay for hotel in BKK again all week. I am sure its all part of the Uk governments plan to make immigration here bloody ni-on impossible,,( they certainly do nothing to help )

When my missus arrived at Heathrow she showed her IOM ticket clear from BKK , they were not interested waived it aside sent her for TB test there , never entered the <deleted> heads someone was waiting for her in arrivals , to mabe just call out over the tannoy some people were being tested from that flight ,,,,,,,,,, 3 hours later she appeared through the magic doors !!!!!!!

This is true. My wife came to the UK Sept 2007 arrived Manchester And was NOT asked for her TB cert

Only her passport with Visa

She did have to have another TB X Ray for this settlement Visa Old one was over 1 Year out of date

Embassy will not Issue a visa if the X Ray Cert is not enclosed with the Application

If it is more than 6 months old when you get to the UK No Problem.

I've sent the following to both the UKBA and the VAC in Bangkok:-

I have a friend whose wife is currently applying for a settlement visa in Bangkok.

Due to the current processing time (10 weeks+) and the need to make travel arrangements etc. once the visa is issued, it is possible that her TB certificate will expire before she can travel to the UK.

If it does expire, will she need to obtain another one before she travels, or is the fact that the certificate was valid when she submitted her application sufficient?

She does not want to arrive in the UK and then be refused entry, or sent to the medical centre, simply because delays in processing her visa application means that her original TB certificate has expired, through no fault of her own.

Thank you.

I'll post the replies when (if!) I receive them.

I've sent the following to both the UKBA and the VAC in Bangkok:-

I have a friend whose wife is currently applying for a settlement visa in Bangkok.

Due to the current processing time (10 weeks+) and the need to make travel arrangements etc. once the visa is issued, it is possible that her TB certificate will expire before she can travel to the UK.

If it does expire, will she need to obtain another one before she travels, or is the fact that the certificate was valid when she submitted her application sufficient?

She does not want to arrive in the UK and then be refused entry, or sent to the medical centre, simply because delays in processing her visa application means that her original TB certificate has expired, through no fault of her own.

Thank you.

I'll post the replies when (if!) I receive them.

Thanks mate. I sent an Email to the Embassy myself so hopefully one of the three will give us an answer sometime in the next month.

Reply recieved from UKBA today (that was quick! :) ):-

RE: VCS309980: General information

Thank you for your enquiry.

The fact that the TB certificate was valid when lodged with the visa application will be sufficient for purpose.

Sent by:

Public Enquiries [G], Visa Services, International Group,

UK Border Agency, London SW1A 2AH

Web-site: www.ukvisas.gov.uk

(Self edit to include sender's address and email subject)

Edited by 7by7

Reply recieved from UKBA today (that was quick! :) ):-

The fact that the TB certificate was valid when lodged with the visa application will be sufficient for purpose.

Sent by:

(Self edit to include sender's address and email subject)

Cheers mate.

Typical i sent my email before you did, direct to the Embassy and not a squeek so far.

• 1 month later...

At the time of application my wife had already had her TB certificate for 2 and a half months.

With the steadily lengthening application times for the Settlement Visa, if the TB certificate which is good for 6 months were to run out before the visa was granted, would this then cause a rejection?

Seperately if the visa is granted in time but the TB certificate runs out before her flight would this alsso cause problems when entering the UK?

I would hope it would not come to this ( it would mean an even longer waiting time that anticipated)but it popped into my head today and i just wondered if any of the folk on here have any idea how this works.

Hi Merangue, my wife is in this situation just now. She got Settlement visa on 26th June 2009 after waiting 3 months for it. She had TB test last december, xray showed scar/ shadow, so she had to go for sputum tests and wait 8 weeks for the results of the last sample. This game back negative. I then went back on the 27th march for 3 weeks, applied for visa on the 4th April. By the time she got visa the TB certifiicate was out of date. So now she has visa but out of date TB certificate, she phoned IOM today and they said that she can go to UK with her expired TB certificate (thats if border control ask for it), if they do and see its out of date she has been told that she will have to go for TB xray in the uk. However this is contradictory to what UK border agency website say, They say that there must be a valid TB certificate with visa before entry into uk is accepted. Do any you guys know different? i have sent email to uk borer agency and waiting on reply. Also to add when she spoke to IOM in bangkok they mentioned that border agency officers only check 2 out of 10 for TB certificate ( how they control this i do not know) but thats what they said.

Her TB certificate expired on the 21st March, one month before she knew the outcome of her visa application.

Good luck with visa

cheers Mikeyp

Sent by:

Print the above, and if asked show it at immigration.

Hopefully it will do the trick.

If not, please let us know.

Hi Merangue, my wife is in this situation just now. She got Settlement visa on 26th June 2009 after waiting 3 months for it. She had TB test last december, xray showed scar/ shadow, so she had to go for sputum tests and wait 8 weeks for the results of the last sample. This game back negative. I then went back on the 27th march for 3 weeks, applied for visa on the 4th April. By the time she got visa the TB certifiicate was out of date. So now she has visa but out of date TB certificate, she phoned IOM today and they said that she can go to UK with her expired TB certificate (thats if border control ask for it), if they do and see its out of date she has been told that she will have to go for TB xray in the uk. However this is contradictory to what UK border agency website say, They say that there must be a valid TB certificate with visa before entry into uk is accepted. Do any you guys know different? i have sent email to uk borer agency and waiting on reply. Also to add when she spoke to IOM in bangkok they mentioned that border agency officers only check 2 out of 10 for TB certificate ( how they control this i do not know) but thats what they said.

Her TB certificate expired on the 21st March, one month before she knew the outcome of her visa application.

Good luck with visa

cheers Mikeyp

wife spoke to IOM in bangkok on monday afternoon, as her TB certificate had expired before visa was issued, and with sputum samples having to be tested for the 8 weeks they have advised for her NOT to go and do second xray as the scar/shadow on xray will still be there and she will have to go through the whole 8 weeks sputum testing again. IOM doctor said that she should fly to UK with old out of date certificate and if they ask for TB certificate at uk border control show them it, and they will test her at medical centre for TB, Meaning she gets entry into UK.

still trying to contact uk border control to clarify this.

managed to get through to UK border agency by telephone, about expired TB certificates and entrance to UK. The answer to my question was this:

"The UK border agency will not advise on TB certificates or entry into the uk with expired TB certificates, you have to call the High commission or embassy from where you applied for the visa"

I tried to explain my wifes circumstances and what IOM said to my wife, WHERE uk border agency staff interested, WHERE THEY <deleted>

this is becoming a nightmare, and i getting really p****d off with the whole shambolic system. "arse and elbow" are coming to mind when i think about these different agencies trying to work together.

How the hel_l can the border agency not advise on TB entrance clearance, they are the first people our partners meet when they land in this country!!!!!!!! argghhhhhhhh

I think we're probably all aware now everybody is told by the doctor at the IOM center that it's currently a requirement to carry the TB certificate in your hand luggage as you'll be asked to produce it on arrival in the UK but when my friend flew into Manchester last week with his wife and two stepchildren they were also asked if they had any certificates to cover any childhood innoculations his two stepchildren had as babies. When he said he wasn't told they needed to produce them the immigration doctor said it wasn't a requirement but that they liked to see them. He then inspected the childrens arms for 'innoculation scars'.

We're also flying to the UK next week so I'll post what we're asked for after we arrive. My wife's trying to find her daughter's certificates as I type this.