Compacting Land Ready For Building

tigerbalm

I have some land that was rice land filled in over a year ago, i have recently added another half a meter or so as the original land was not filled to the road level and i assume must have sunk a small bit.

Just wondering how posters have gone about getting land compacted. as i am going to have traditional footings dug out for the base of the house as opposed to the sunken pillar method, the dig out for the foundations is about half a meter and i don't want to take a chance that they wont reach the bottom of the half meter + i have recently added.

Suggestions would be appreciated

Your compacted land will sink up to 50% maybe more pending on what type of soil is used for compaction- amount of rain & time to settle & the amount of times the tractor- excavator- trucks delivering the loads etc. we have done 3 buildups & are now at aprox. a meter high after settling. Regardless the amount of compacted soil when you put your posts- pylons -piers or whatever form of uprights for the structure you need to get down to native earth( before added soil) usually a meter or more down depending on the specs for the foundation in your plans. Best make sure you get a competent crew (which is a bitch in Thailand) or make sure they dig the appropriate depth . I would have a look see at any rate when they are actually doing the pour. That way the only surprise would be you not catching the error (cost cutting event) instead of after.

Barry

I have some land that was rice land filled in over a year ago, i have recently added another half a meter or so as the original land was not filled to the road level and i assume must have sunk a small bit.

Just wondering how posters have gone about getting land compacted. as i am going to have traditional footings dug out for the base of the house as opposed to the sunken pillar method, the dig out for the foundations is about half a meter and i don't want to take a chance that they wont reach the bottom of the half meter + i have recently added.

Suggestions would be appreciated

Not sure if this is of assistance but on the Frazer river delta area of Vancouver Canada they leave a 10-12 meter (looks like) pile of soil sand for up to three years before building major costruction projects.

That said the houses are on a 'float style" foundation (ie deep sided and matrix within sort of egg boxy with a flat top.

Never heard of actually compacting being successful. tried it on our land and it "floated away " in the wet anyway.Ended up moving the house site..dug 1-2 metre deep x 2mx2m square 500mm footings into original dirt down to sandstone on 250mm(12 re bars ) 4metre high posts cased in bricks. No cracks etc so far ...touch wood .second wet season now..we are also on a 200m elev hillside. Maybe in the valley next year??

Think its all a case of "suck it and see"??? Watch the excavators and concrete/steel work....good luck..

Make sure mud don't fall into the footings before poles are poured..had to practically scream at our builder to remove and wash!!

david