Phuket Fishing Reports 2009

69690jay

Report 03-05-2009

Fishing Rawai beach to Racha Yai & Noi:

lots of tuna feeding on baitballs, trolling between Racha islands caught one Tuna 2+kg on daisy chain. Two hits.

Sailfish jumping between 4pm and sunset.

After sunset dropped the pick; bottom fished for a dew hours lots of barracuda, one small GT 2kg+ fresh squid for bait.

Expect more reports over the next two weeks, we are going to be out more often as Neill is back from Angola and has some new saltwater flyfishing gear he wants try out on sailfish around northern point of Racha Yai :)

post-69690-1243082471_thumb.jpg

Report 03-05-2009

Fishing Rawai beach to Racha Yai & Noi:

lots of tuna feeding on baitballs, trolling between Racha islands caught one Tuna 2+kg on daisy chain. Two hits.

Sailfish jumping between 4pm and sunset.

After sunset dropped the pick; bottom fished for a dew hours lots of barracuda, one small GT 2kg+ fresh squid for bait.

Expect more reports over the next two weeks, we are going to be out more often as Neill is back from Angola and has some new saltwater flyfishing gear he wants try out on sailfish around northern point of Racha Yai :)

Thanks AJays

Great info... as soon as I get time I will try and put a thread from Koh Chang ... if we could get people reporting from all over that would be great.....

P.S what is a daisy chain??

• 4 weeks later...

wind has been blowing so no reports.

slackjawchef: a daisy chain is a rig used to attract fish to you lure bait etc. It is a number of artificial squid/lures with the last one having a hook, some have hooks on each squid.

slackjawchef: a daisy chain is a rig used to attract fish to you lure bait etc. It is a number of artificial squid/lures with the last one having a hook, some have hooks on each squid.

Like we would use a flasher for salmon trolling???

Could you please post a picture, of a daisy chain..... Are they rigged like herring jig. or in line... Do you use a downrigger??

Thanks

Like we would use a flasher for salmon trolling???

Could you please post a picture, of a daisy chain..... Are they rigged like herring jig. or in line... Do you use a downrigger??

Thanks

Since you make reference to salmon gear, a daisy chain looks much like a line of hootchies, usually strung out behind a "winged torpedo" - called a bird. The last lure in the line has the hook. This whole rig is topwater. I just tried it a couple of times recently with no results yet, but it's what the charter boats use here fishing out of Phuket.

very effective way to catch tuna, which is why the charter boats use it, when the customer pays to catch fish if the boat can get a few tuna then the customer won't complain so much unless they expected to catch sails etc.

I run two birds with daisy chains on the outriggers, halfway up the outriggers i run two more birds with pushers or daisy chains, out the back i will set one or two planers with rapala magnums or similar lures.

The daisy chains tend to pick up tuna if they are around.

Though we did get a sail once on the daisy chain!

Planers aimed at Wahoo etc.

Ballyhoo (garfish) rigged right work well.

I like to drop the pick and get a burely/chum trail going, set out a few lines on balloons or small floats with sardines/yakkas live bait rigged or dead if we have no live bait. Squid whole or strips work well also. The result is barracuda, giant long-toms and if your lucky something bigger. Good fun on light gear, long-toms put on a good show in the 1/2m to 1m size, tail walks and so on.

wishing good weather and free time would coincide long enough to go get hooked up :)

Tight lines

Jay

very effective way to catch tuna, which is why the charter boats use it, when the customer pays to catch fish if the boat can get a few tuna then the customer won't complain so much unless they expected to catch sails etc.

I run two birds with daisy chains on the outriggers, halfway up the outriggers i run two more birds with pushers or daisy chains, out the back i will set one or two planers with rapala magnums or similar lures.

The daisy chains tend to pick up tuna if they are around.

Though we did get a sail once on the daisy chain!

Planers aimed at Wahoo etc.

Ballyhoo (garfish) rigged right work well.

I like to drop the pick and get a burely/chum trail going, set out a few lines on balloons or small floats with sardines/yakkas live bait rigged or dead if we have no live bait. Squid whole or strips work well also. The result is barracuda, giant long-toms and if your lucky something bigger. Good fun on light gear, long-toms put on a good show in the 1/2m to 1m size, tail walks and so on.

wishing good weather and free time would coincide long enough to go get hooked up :)

Tight lines

Jay

So Do I Jay So Do I never mind hopefully back from Angola on the 15th July if the weather holds up we will be sick of taking Ocean Hunter out to catch fish (as if that would ever happen) Tight Lines here we come Neill Sunny Angola but no time for fishing

• 1 month later...

the weather has cleared for the last few days and there is a window open for the next few days, with the moon and water conditions fishing should be productive. unfortunately Ocean Hunter is trailered as of monday; new anti foul etc.

Wish i could.... The local longtail fishos are doing well.

the weather has cleared for the last few days and there is a window open for the next few days, with the moon and water conditions fishing should be productive. unfortunately Ocean Hunter is trailered as of monday; new anti foul etc.

Wish i could.... The local longtail fishos are doing well.

Never Mind I will be back from Angola on Sept 9th that will just give those fish time to put on a few KGs if the Longtails dont catch them all.

Keep a look out for a B/Up Outboard. Never Mind now Rawai Pier has lights you can get a bit of fishing done there.

Tight Lines wherever you are

Went out on Thaioneon with Dan the owner, he did everything short of jumping in to get us hooked up: Running 11 lines with six Ballyhoo, two rappalas, two planners with ballyhoo, two birds, pulsator you name it we tried it.

Caught a few small tuna 2Kg+ but nothing worth a photo. Great day out with beautiful conditions, snokling at lucnch Koh Racha noi, lovely. First good weather in a long time.

Ocean Hunter is dry docked getting new anti foul, back on the mooring in a couple days, weather has changed for the worse agin but ocean is still pretty calm so maybe late next week will go out.

Tight Lines

Jay

post-69690-1251016089_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Been trying to get out and wet a line the last couple of weeks but the weather has been just crap. Doesn't look like improving in the near future either, heading overseas next week so hopefully the weather will be right when I get back next trip.

Went out with Dan Neill and Mac on Thaioneon today, three bumps on a ballyhoo and that was that.

Can't say we didn't try, 11 lines out all day.

Tried out a a new dredge teaser...... looked good with reflections very bright.... maybe too bright, scared the fish away?

Radio talk was one boat caught three small tuna.

Wind blew up in the early afternoon making it a bumpy ride. Only thing i got was a bit of a sunburn :)

Going to try and go out 27 and 28th tides are exceptional for a few days.

Tight Lines

Jay

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was fishing just off the edge of koh lipe today, in phang nga bay (the third time so far) and was approached by a sawn off shotgun carrying thai, and told wasn't allowed to fish there. We had seen the signs about not being able to land and look for birds nest, but was surprised at being chased off for fishing. Sure we couldve stayed, probably was after money, but didn't feel like argueing with a thai with a gun. So everyone be warned.

fishing there was okay but not that great, plenty of fish but all small. not worth argueing about, but will try again in a couple of months, as I understand the sea is the property of the king and free to be used by all.

This is a great topic with some excellent posts. Please keep it up as there is good info here, that is otherwise hard to find. Nice one.

hi there neutronbom

i see from your Post that you come from near sarasin bridge , do you have any idea what the fishing is like out across the bar there in the andaman side rather than in phang nga bay.

I have recently been launching at ao por and was wondering if there is anywhere to launch near sarasin.

the braces near the bridge look quite flat and look like it should be possible to launch off. do you or any others have any knowledge of fishing in the area or launching possibilities .

by the way my boat is reasonably light and i have a 4wd l

This is a great topic with some excellent posts. Please keep it up as there is good info here, that is otherwise hard to find. Nice one.

hi there neutronbom

i see from your Post that you come from near sarasin bridge , do you have any idea what the fishing is like out across the bar there in the andaman side rather than in phang nga bay.

I have recently been launching at ao por and was wondering if there is anywhere to launch near sarasin.

the braces near the bridge look quite flat and look like it should be possible to launch off. do you or any others have any knowledge of fishing in the area or launching possibilities .

10 miles off the Sarasin bridge there are 2 rocks, Dorado, Wahoo & Tuna are there.

Edited by Andyman

hi there neutronbom

Hi there. Yes there is some very good fishing on the other side of the bar. I have been out many times with Thai friends across that bar in a "long boat" and we rarely come back empty handed. As the poster below this said, those two rocks have some good fishing. There are 2 main problems going out from the bridge. Although there are 2 very easy places to launch your boat by 4WD - the fishing wharf and at the hardstand - on the Phuket side of the bridge, the first problem is the danger of crossing the bar. It has claimed many lives in the past and is not to be underestimated! It looks easy - at times it can be - but with cross currents and the wrong wind, even large boats have come to grief. Thai fishing boats go over the bar all the time, but they are wary of it and give it a lot of respect. The second problem, is that you have to travel quite a way out to find good fish. My friends use a GPS to find their way now and we usually leave the bridge at around 1 or 2 in the morning, to arrive at the good spots just before dawn. Say 3 to 4 hours travel at around 16 to 18 Knots. Sorry I can't be more specific as to where to fish, just assure you that there is really good fish if you spend the time looking. Eagle fish, tuna, grouper, sailfish and many more are out there. My advice is to use a local guide at first, along with a hand held GPS to mark the spots when you get there. PM me if you need help getting a local fisherman to guide you out. I know a few who live near the bridge who are not greedy and are very reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to both Newtronbom and Andyman for the good info. I am back overseas at the moment and will be having a closer look at the sarasin area when I get back in early March. I like the idea of chartering a boat out of sarasin to have a look around first so will pm newtronbom nearer to the time for someone to contact locally. What sort of rates is a day charter (approx).

• 1 month later...

Just back from a day out from Ao Por, got as far south as Koh Kai. Fishing okay, plenty of small fish when bottom fishing but no luck trolling. Saw plenty of long toms and baitfish in my travels, but was also fishing at the wrong time of the day. Put the boat in the water at 1030 and stopped fishing at 1700 so had timeto get back to ramp before dark. Might pick up some camping gear and find an island to camp on and do a bit of night fishing.

Just back from another day on the water. Headed to a spot I saw on the chart that have never been to before, and was surprised to see lots of schools of baitfish, bursting the surface with fish chasing. Put on a lure and threw it out and was marauded by longtoms, wasnt unusual to get 3 hits to a cast. Hooked and lost heaps and only managed to land one. About a metre long. Never fished for them before, but will certainly do it again, will be refining my gear and technique before I go again. They are heaps of fun on small gear, but the teeth are a bit hard on line.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday arvo we managed to get out fro a few hours of bottom bouncing southern end of Racha Noi, ride out was smooth, set the anchor at 29 meters right on top of the pinnacle, some fish showing on the fishfinder.......two handlines; bait fresh squid, Warren chose to use his rod and a pilchard with large snapper weight, 45 minutes later his rod went off. Result was nice sized Turrum about 5KG

A big black cloud darkened the sky.... swept with high winds and big chop. Pulled the pick and headed for home. Two hours later sitting in the Rawai Beach Fishing Club enjoying a cold beer.

Better luck next time.

One fish is still better than none.

I think Warren sold the fish to his mother-in-law. LOL

Cheers,

Tight lines and Screaming Reels!!!

Jay

RBFC

Rawai

post-69690-1269677684_thumb.jpg

post-69690-1269677767_thumb.jpg

post-69690-1269678010_thumb.jpg

post-69690-1269678110_thumb.jpg

Edited by 69690jay

• 3 weeks later...

Out yesterday, towards the phi phi area, dont want to be too specific as to where.

Another good day out, got amongst the longtoms, heaps of them around and even managed to land a few.

Got a good selection ao estuary cod, a bit bigger size than previous trips. Then later on in the afternoon got amongst some squid, lots of good sized one out there.

Was a good trip, even if I didnt get the boat into the water until 11am.

Tight lines

Out yesterday, towards the phi phi area, dont want to be too specific as to where.

Another good day out, got amongst the longtoms, heaps of them around and even managed to land a few.

Got a good selection ao estuary cod, a bit bigger size than previous trips. Then later on in the afternoon got amongst some squid, lots of good sized one out there.

Was a good trip, even if I didnt get the boat into the water until 11am.

Tight lines

Big Guy,

Good to her some reports of other areas and I agree Big Longtoms are great fun on light tackle we do it with a deadbait and a Balloon drifting close into the islands, occasionaly will hook up to a GT or a Barracuda and if we are very lucky the chance of a small sail.

I am back on 21st providing I can get through Europe from Angola with this Volcano Crap everywhere.

Pop on down to the Rawai Beach IGFA Fishing Club for a beer with me, Jay and the guys if you have the time.

Keep up the reports great for guys away from home looking forward to getting back in the water.

Neill

President

Rawai Beach IGFA Fishing Club

post-38386-1271487300_thumb.jpg