Ho Chi Minh City To Pattaya By Bus

crudy21

My wife and i are considering doing this trip in late September, i have done the trip from PP to Bangkok via SR but was wondering if there is a bus/busses that go from PP to Pattaya via Koh Kong crossing instead of Poipet. If anyone has any information on this i would be most gratefull. Also any info on the bus journey from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh would be cool.

Thanks

i have done the trip from PP to Bangkok via SR but was wondering if there is a bus/busses that go from PP to Pattaya via Koh Kong crossing instead of Poipet.
No single bus, but you can do it in four parts: PP-KK on a big old bus, KK-Haat Lek by taxi, Haat Lek-Trat by van, and Trat-Pattaya on a big new bus. Unless you plan stops along the way or really, really want to see the scenery, it's a bit of an ordeal considering that advance rates on Air Asia are now only US$40-50 for either PP-Bkk or HCMC-Bkk.

My wife and i are considering doing this trip in late September, i have done the trip from PP to Bangkok via SR but was wondering if there is a bus/busses that go from PP to Pattaya via Koh Kong crossing instead of Poipet. If anyone has any information on this i would be most gratefull. Also any info on the bus journey from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh would be cool.

2heks

hello why you dont go by plane verry cheap i go to vietnam in august whit airasia for 2 people round trip 5700 baht take 1 hrs 30 go take look www.airasia.com good luck

Thanks for tha answers guys, i checked Air Asia already and its 1500 baht inclusive from PP to BKK (plus departure tax, which can be avoided overland). However money isn't an issue, just fancied a look around but having to do it in 4 parts does sound a bit of an ordeal and rather time consuming.

This is not entirely accurate, you can get a package for about $20 from Sihanoukville to Bangkok via Koh Kong and since Pattaya is on the way to Bangkok from Koh Kong they usually drop you off along the way. From Sihanoukville you get a bus right to the border, you don't need to go to Koh Kong and catch a taxi e.t.c. You cross the border then get on a mini bus to Trat where you change to another mini bus and off to Pattaya.

This is all included in the ticket price.

Only problem is the timing, from HCM to PP probably takes about six hours, you *might* be able to get a bus from PP to Sihanoukville, I think the last one probably leaves about 2.30 in the afternoon. I wouldn't necessarily count on it. You'd then need to sleep over in Sihanoukville before getting the bus to Pattaya the next day. Total trip cost excluding sleepover in Snooky is probably around $40 rounded up.

So yeah you can do it but it will probably take about two days. Personally if you can get a direct or reasonably direct flight I'd take that, unless your planning on stopping over for a few days in each place it seems a bit pointless.

Yeah we are having a couple of days in both HCM and PP but not planning on going to Sihanoukville. Surely if there is package deals to BKK from Snooky via KK i would be able to get picked up there, would i?

Thanks for tha answers guys, i checked Air Asia already and its 1500 baht inclusive from PP to BKK (plus departure tax, which can be avoided overland). However money isn't an issue, just fancied a look around but having to do it in 4 parts does sound a bit of an ordeal and rather time consuming.

dude, wouldn't you have to spend extra money for so many visas? even if you could get a transit visa it would still add up right? i think flying is best.

Erm problem is it takes about six odd hours from PP to Sihanoukville and then another 6 odd hours from there to the border, then add another 4 hours approx to get to Pattaya. In my experience most of the Sihanoukville->Koh Kong buses leave between 7-10 in the morning in order to connect onwards in Thailand. So your going to have to ask around, there isn't really a bus service like the one in Thailand which leaves to most destinations every hour on the hour, in Cambodia it's mainly a bunch of different bus companies plying the same routes and often leaving around the same time of day. So you might be able to go from PP to Koh kong, but either way your going through Sihanoukville because that's how the roads run as far as I'm aware.

dude, wouldn't you have to spend extra money for so many visas? even if you could get a transit visa it would still add up right? i think flying is best.

Perhaps i haven't made my self perfectly clear. We are flying from BKK to HCM, spending a couple of days there then bussing it to PP and spending a couple of days there. After PP we are heading to Pattaya to catch up with some old friends for a few days then back to BKK for a few days then home to UK.

Therefore we need visa's for all countries anyway, Thailand and Cambodia on arrival and i am contacting the Vietnam Embassy in London for that one.

I know flying from PP to BKK is probably the easiest but with having to be at the airport a couple of hours before the flight and a taxi from BKK to Pattaya its not going to take an awful lot longer (well 4-5 hours at a guess) traveling over land, plus you see a lot more.

Just trying to find the easiest route.

Well after much deliberation and my wife has decided we can't go to Cambodia without seeing Angkor Wat (i have been before!) I have spoken to the guy who owns the hotel where i stayed last time in PP and he has come up with this plan and price.

Picked up at bus from HCM drop off point, 2 nights in River Star Hotel including breakfast (river view room with balcony). Killing fields and S21 tour, tuk tuk tour of PP. Private car to SR, use of a tuk tuk for Angkor Wat for 2 days. 2 nights in Neakpean hotel (with balcony and overlooking pool) with breakfast. Private car to Poipet and bus ticket to Pattaya.

All for the pricely sum of $350 for 2 people, amazing Cambodia!

Erm problem is it takes about six odd hours from PP to Sihanoukville and then another 6 odd hours from there to the border, then add another 4 hours approx to get to Pattaya. In my experience most of the Sihanoukville->Koh Kong buses leave between 7-10 in the morning in order to connect onwards in Thailand. So your going to have to ask around, there isn't really a bus service like the one in Thailand which leaves to most destinations every hour on the hour, in Cambodia it's mainly a bunch of different bus companies plying the same routes and often leaving around the same time of day. So you might be able to go from PP to Koh kong, but either way your going through Sihanoukville because that's how the roads run as far as I'm aware.

No that's not correct.The main road runs from PP to Sihanoukville,but roughly half way along it,the road branches off to Koh Kong.So you can go from PP direct to Koh Kong,you don't have to go to Sihanoukville.Now that the road is surfaced,and the bridges built,it is about a 4 hour trip.There are different ways to do it,as you say,service buses,mainly in the morning,shared minibuses,or taxis,depending on the level of comfort required,and the cost.It might be possible to do PP to Pattaya in a day,but it would be a long and arduous trip,I'd do PP to Koh Kong in one day,stay in KK,then next day go to the border,and get a minibus to Trat,and a service bus to Pattaya,I think the A/C express bus is at 1 pm from Trat.In reply to "borovik" the bullet boats run from Sihanoukville to KK but I believe only every other day now,and they are less reliable and more expensive than the road trip

• 2 weeks later...
Well after much deliberation and my wife has decided we can't go to Cambodia without seeing Angkor Wat (i have been before!) I have spoken to the guy who owns the hotel where i stayed last time in PP and he has come up with this plan and price.

Picked up at bus from HCM drop off point, 2 nights in River Star Hotel including breakfast (river view room with balcony). Killing fields and S21 tour, tuk tuk tour of PP. Private car to SR, use of a tuk tuk for Angkor Wat for 2 days. 2 nights in Neakpean hotel (with balcony and overlooking pool) with breakfast. Private car to Poipet and bus ticket to Pattaya.

All for the pricely sum of $350 for 2 people, amazing Cambodia!

crudy, do you have contact details of the guy who arranged this, please?

I'm working in HCM and fly back to BKK every month or so for a long weekend at home in Rayong.

But I fancy spending an extra week travelling overland and seeing the sights of Cambodia.

I.e. Rayong, Angkot Wat, PP then Mekong boat trip to VN.

TIA,

crudy, do you have contact details of the guy who arranged this, please?

I'm working in HCM and fly back to BKK every month or so for a long weekend at home in Rayong.

But I fancy spending an extra week travelling overland and seeing the sights of Cambodia.

I.e. Rayong, Angkot Wat, PP then Mekong boat trip to VN.

TIA,

No problem, i have sent you a PM with contact details, happy travels!