Thai Airways

dcfc2007

I've always enjoyed flying Thai, just the price is off putting!! I tend to read so modern gizzmos are not important.

I had persuaded myself that I enjoyed the break on the middle eastern routes. I have flown with just about every airline operating from the middle east and have no complaints.

However Thai had a special offer recently and I travelled direct for the first time in years. LON - BKK

This changed my thinking......I now definately prefer direct.....but cheap usually wins the day....a 10,000 baht saving goes a long way.

If you mean their awards from Skytrax etc, no, but they're ok if you plan well and avoid their old cabins. In economy, you may get a 747 with no inflight entertainment screen, but the also have some A340s on the route at the moment. They do have more room than BA though and are generous with drink..

They are part of Star Alliance, so it's easy to accrue miles. If ff miles don't matter to you, I would say EVA were the better airline on LHR-BKK direct. I've never had anything happen that would put me off them (other than an unexpected night in Pakistan in 1985..).

If you mean their awards from Skytrax etc, no, but they're ok if you plan well and avoid their old cabins. In economy, you may get a 747 with no inflight entertainment screen, but the also have some A340s on the route at the moment. They do have more room than BA though and are generous with drink..

They are part of Star Alliance, so it's easy to accrue miles. If ff miles don't matter to you, I would say EVA were the better airline on LHR-BKK direct. I've never had anything happen that would put me off them (other than an unexpected night in Pakistan in 1985..).

im flying on a 747, although it says on their website that all theyre long haul flights have in-flight entertainment systems

I had always thought they there reputation was fairly bad. I have not used them for a long time. Normally prefer airlines that are cheaper and have more modern fleets

Depends on your standpoint. Comparing Thai Airways (TG) with any US airline will put them high up. No 7-11 burgers as meals.

If you compare with airlines from Japan, Hong Kong or Singapore, TG is junk. Not only TG, many others.

Edited by think_too_mut

im going on a 747 from london heathrow to bangkok direct, what is the odds of there be individual screens, i thought they were near enough complusory for all long haul flights.

I don't believe TG has any B-747s with individual screens. Unless they retrofitted some.

If you have found a deal - cheaper than BA or QF, that is why the "deal" is what it is.

im going on a 747 from london heathrow to bangkok direct, what is the odds of there be individual screens, i thought they were near enough complusory for all long haul flights.

None, but depending when you are going, you might be able to change to the airbus that flies in the day.

are they as good as theyre reputation?

I have flown with them from L.A.(non stop YAY!) Beijing, Tokyo, Hong Kong and all over Thailand. I adore their quality and service.....but I am used to being treated like sh*t by American Airlines. I prefer them over All Nippon and China Air. I have not tried Eva or Cathay however.

They used to be great but have now priced themselves out of the market, when flying from/to Oz now would rather go with Air AsiaX as they are a third of the price and use fairly new aircraft.

I flew with TG lhr to bkk last time, having flown with etihad on the previous occasion, the direct flights are a lot quicker, and i had no complains with the flight,crew,drinks or food on either flight, but.... the lack of individual screen entertainment is a real draw back. It will be nice when the individual screen are standard on TG, but untill then its a choice of price, (normally middle easten airlines are cheaper) shorter flight times ( BA or Eva with individual screens or TG no individual screens normally) or individual choice such as flight schedule, onboard food/drink service, or the chance to stretch your legs on the stop over in dubai etc.

Each time I fly I always say I will use the other option the next time ( short flight times or stop over) but if thats the only decision I have to make when booking, then lifes not that bad.

leave lhr on 25th of june at 21:05 bst. and i get in to bangkok at 15:20 thai time.

i cant really complain though seeing i got it at 475 return, relatively unheard of for thai airways.

have you ever flew with eva air or qatar air?

I flew EVA once but in Elite. Modern cabins with ptv in economy. I'd fly them in preference to Thai if they went to Sydney. If you can change to the day flight, it might be on an a340 which does have a modern cabin. Gets in really early though.

Edited by tw25rw

I flew EVA once but in Elite. Modern cabins with ptv in economy. I'd fly them in preference to Thai if they went to Sydney. If you can change to the day flight, it might be on an a340 which does have a modern cabin. Gets in really early though.

i thought e.v.a had great inflight entertainment but the food wasnt great we had to wait at least 6hrs in between meals, qatar airways now thats an airline.

e.v.a's inflight entertainment was great, but for me no company can match up to the standards of qatar airways although i prefer direct flights they were a brilliant company to fly with.

I'll be boarding the plan in LAX in about an hour or so. I'll report on the flight afterward...business class...it should be reasonably good.

Well, here's my report. Take-off from LAX was a little late, but on the other hand, arrival at BKK was significantly early. The cabin crew was very efficient, although I wouldn't say they were particularly hospitable...just neutral. The food...well, I'm not the best judge of this because I prefer a more regular down-to-earth menu. This was pretty fancy food, and what little I ate (I tend not to each much while flying) was very good. The flight was particularly smooth. I know most people really like the new seats. I think they're wonderful for sleeping...and most were...but not so wonderful for sitting (for example, I think the lumbar support really doesn't support the lumbar). But, I slept for half the flight, so for that it was wonderful. Not as wonderful as 2007 when I took the non-stop TG from NYC, but still, hard to fault them. B+.

I'll be boarding the plan in LAX in about an hour or so. I'll report on the flight afterward...business class...it should be reasonably good.

Well, here's my report. Take-off from LAX was a little late, but on the other hand, arrival at BKK was significantly early. The cabin crew was very efficient, although I wouldn't say they were particularly hospitable...just neutral. The food...well, I'm not the best judge of this because I prefer a more regular down-to-earth menu. This was pretty fancy food, and what little I ate (I tend not to each much while flying) was very good. The flight was particularly smooth. I know most people really like the new seats. I think they're wonderful for sleeping...and most were...but not so wonderful for sitting (for example, I think the lumbar support really doesn't support the lumbar). But, I slept for half the flight, so for that it was wonderful. Not as wonderful as 2007 when I took the non-stop TG from NYC, but still, hard to fault them. B+.

The service on all my flights has always been better BKK-LAX than it is LAX-BKK. The dinner meal on my flight on 5/24 was not good (Teriyaki Salmon). They no longer serve appetizers (used to serve Satays, now they give you a bag of pretzels). No champagne served prior to take off either.

The service on all my flights has always been better BKK-LAX than it is LAX-BKK. The dinner meal on my flight on 5/24 was not good (Teriyaki Salmon). They no longer serve appetizers (used to serve Satays, now they give you a bag of pretzels). No champagne served prior to take off either.

Yes, teriyaki salmon was one of the choices and es, pretzels, although there was champagne.