Electrician Jobs In Thailand

Hi

Im new in this forum and this is my first topic, and yes, i found this forum coz im looking for some advise, better be honest, isnt it? :)

One year ago i was for the first time in Thailand for my Holidays and i loved it. The people, the peacefull enviroment, the food, the wheather and the bloody characteristic smell in the Bangkok streets :D

Well, im seriosly thinking to go there and try to live in that wonderfull kingdom

Im currently working as an electrician in NZ, properly registered without limits and i wonder if in Thailand is difficult or not find a job as an electrician.

I think the process is try to find an employer and after that start the process to obtain the work permit there.

Does anybody have some idea how difficult could be at this moment make this dream happen?

Thanks in advance

Hi

Im new in this forum and this is my first topic, and yes, i found this forum coz im looking for some advise, better be honest, isnt it? :)

One year ago i was for the first time in Thailand for my Holidays and i loved it. The people, the peacefull enviroment, the food, the wheather and the bloody characteristic smell in the Bangkok streets :D

Well, im seriosly thinking to go there and try to live in that wonderfull kingdom

Im currently working as an electrician in NZ, properly registered without limits and i wonder if in Thailand is difficult or not find a job as an electrician.

I think the process is try to find an employer and after that start the process to obtain the work permit there.

Does anybody have some idea how difficult could be at this moment make this dream happen?

Thanks in advance

Dude! I guess you haven't travelled much before.

Firstly you will not get a work permit based on being an Electrician. There are Thais who can do that job. Normally they have no qualification: Licenses not needed, etc...

Secondly, even if you could get a work permit: These guys are on 300 baht a day (MAX.!) Thats 1 beer for you (or 3 beers at happy hour) for an expected 12 to 18 hour day (NO OVERTIME!) 6 to 7 days a week.

Get a TESOL cert. and work semi-legally!??

OR

Get a degree and work legally for NZ$1500 a month.

Sorry to shatter your dream bro'

Fellow ex-sparky and NZ'der

Marko

Let's look at the +ve and the -ve of this (pun intended).

I'll start with the -ve

The local Thai electrician we use, charges a few hundred Bht for a days work (including his transport costs), with a bit of profit from fittings and consumables I doubt he clears a profit of more than Bht1000 for a full day's work.

I doubt very much that you'll get a work permit as an electrician.

On the +ve

Much, but by no means all, of the electrical installation work done in Thailand falls short of international standards. This is a concern for many (but by no means all) expatriates living in Thailand. It's also a constant subject of griping by expatriate electricians trying to drum up trade look after our safety.

I think you could make a small business providing Electrical Inspection Services to expatriates and perhaps running your own team of Thai electricians, but I wouldn't imagine that would be a big enough trade to keep a roof over your head and food on the table, and I suspect even then it would take a long time to take off as a business.

It seems to me to be a one off service people might want, when buying/building/moving into a new house and one that to get enough customers would dictate you living in areas of High Expat populations.

Not to throw water on your fuse box, but think very carefully about giving up work and an income in NZ before moving to Thailand on the basis of being able to find work and an income.

Normally they have no qualification: Licenses not needed, etc...

Certainly don't... :D:)

Electrical Engineers with the authority to sign of electrical designs and installations are certified and that certification is closed to non Thais. While this inspection and certification requirement only applies to high voltage systems, it is nevertheless a closed door to a lucrative area of electrical work.

Edited by GuestHouse

Dammit! , i start to reconsider this :D , But, there is not workmarket for electricians in hotels,factories or any alien investment? i mean, maintenance for example, even that doesn't worth it? :)

I dont expect have the same rate than in NZ, just an acceptable quality of life, you know what i mean?

Dammit! , i start to reconsider this :D , But, there is not workmarket for electricians in hotels,factories or any alien investment? i mean, maintenance for example, even that doesn't worth it? :)

I dont expect have the same rate than in NZ, just an acceptable quality of life, you know what i mean?

Options would be to work offshore on a 4 weeks on 4 weeks off rotation, set-up an Electrical Wholesalers using your Electrical knowledge (not recommended), get a English Teaching Cert (less beers), Marry a very Rich Thai girl.

No offence OP, but you came here a year ago for a holiday (assuming a couple of weeks, maybe a month) & now you think you want to work and live here.

May I suggest you make a few more trips here & look around a bit before you leap?

Plane loads of tourists leave here every day after their first visit, wishing they were living here, so you are not alone.

...get a English Teaching Cert (less beers)...

Really... if you are going to recommend English teaching... "fewer beers" or "less beer" :):D

Slight ray of hope - job in a university/college electrical engineering department teaching international standards? Anyone heard of such a thing?

There is an English program at King Mongkuts University of Technology North Bangkok www.kmutt.ac.th, they might be interested in a teacher of Electrical wiring and stuff, but maybe you will need to teach English to the students too, so would need at least a bachelors degree.

If not there try KMUTT in Thonburi, or KMUTL Lad Krabang.

All of the above are well known Universities for Engineers, so more chance there than anywhere else, I should know I worked at KMUTNB

There is no job that requires manual work that is legally available to farangs. If you were from Mynamar or Cambodia you could work construction for 200 baht a day as a guest worker.

TH

Hi

Thanks in advance

Dude! I guess you haven't travelled much before.

Firstly you will not get a work permit based on being an Electrician. There are Thais who can do that job. Normally they have no qualification: Licenses not needed, etc...

Secondly, even if you could get a work permit: These guys are on 300 baht a day (MAX.!) Thats 1 beer for you (or 3 beers at happy hour) for an expected 12 to 18 hour day (NO OVERTIME!) 6 to 7 days a week.

Get a TESOL cert. and work semi-legally!??

OR

Get a degree and work legally for NZ$1500 a month.

Sorry to shatter your dream bro'

Fellow ex-sparky and NZ'der

Marko

+1

Agree with Marko. Forget it.

Having lived here 7 years and built a couple of houses, I can confirm Marko's post.

Add to that the economy here is in dire, dire trouble.

Best stay put.

Seriously.

No offence OP, but you came here a year ago for a holiday (assuming a couple of weeks, maybe a month) & now you think you want to work and live here.

May I suggest you make a few more trips here & look around a bit before you leap?

Plane loads of tourists leave here every day after their first visit, wishing they were living here, so you are not alone.

Neverdie's right.

But don't listen to neverdie on the 'making a few more trips', just don't bother coming back here. Try the south of France or Corsica, that's nice.

Thailand's a trap.

But don't listen to neverdie on the 'making a few more trips', just don't bother coming back here. Try the south of France or Corsica, that's nice.

Thailand's a trap.

Yes, but have you ever tried pulling a French bird? :)

RAZZ

Thailand's a trap.

RAZZ

I tried (sort of) about two months ago. Friends said she was rather taken with me. :D

Anyway, it never happened so it doesn't matter now.

Thailand's a trap.

RAZZ

Anyway, it never happened

Exactly! :D

RAZZ

Plane electrician, forget it.

If you would be in automation, wiring up complex switch boards for machinery etc, you have chance.

There's quite a few relative small foreign owned factories in my nick of the wood, many assembling stuff for the export market, or for the oil and gas industry, who need to have their stuff top notch quality. You'd probably end up in training/supervising/QC, but nevertheless a market...

You'd need to be well versed in PLC technology etc to stand a chance there...

Neverdie's right.

Thailand's a trap.

Yes, agreed, Thailand is a TRAP, amoungst other things.

There are at least a couple of sparkies on TV who jump on every electrical thread going - They are conspicuous by their absence from this one.

Ask yourself why that might be?

Oi, I resemble that remark :)

Anyway, since I'm not in the trade here I don't count :D

Sadly (as many would like a 'real' electrician to do their work) I have to agree with most of the posts above, working as a regular sparks here is just not going to happen. You may be able to set up a company as suggested providing or teaching 'Western' standards (as another member has) but he's making his real living teaching English.

With trades like that why be an employee?

Start a company, hire good quality Thais who are certified to carry out the lucrative inspection work. If you can then bring them up to speed on int'l standards, perhaps you could charge more than the THB 300 a day make a reasonable margin...?

Oh I don't know, OP. I came here for the first time in May last year and I haven't left yet. :)

As far as work is concerned, it all depends on your respect for the law. I'm sure you could market your skills to expats. I, for one, would appreciate someone who knows what they're doing working on the electrics in my apartment. I think a certificate of qualification is far more important than a poxy work permit.

Start a company, hire good quality Thais who are certified to carry out the lucrative inspection work. If you can then bring them up to speed on int'l standards, perhaps you could charge more than the THB 300 a day make a reasonable margin...?

This is a good idea.......along with others where posters are thinking out of the box. You probably would be better off to think big and not small........try to figure out how to start a business that takes advantage of your skills.

Don't have the money.....form a corporation with other foreigners in the same situation.

Crime is growing in Thailand along with the need to try to prevent it. I wonder if you could use your skills to start an electronic security business like Brinks........home and business security.

By the way, many of us would love to leave Thailand and live in New Zealand.

Thanks a lot for your advices mates. Now ive got a preliminary idea how is the work market for sparkys. Maybe installing a technical business using the lack of knowledge there could be an opportunity

Well, i will see in my next holidays

Seya

As someone who has has electrical work done at my office when I started renting and in the house I bought I have attempted to upgrade things electrical but I have really no idea if it's been done right. It is very hard to find the electrical company that does good work, your wife is translating and of course she thinks everything is OK and basically everyone thinks you're a bit nuts. Meanwhile I've got little testers and such which give me different answers every time I use them...

There are a few different ways you could go about this - your company, representing a few Thai companies, but I do think there is work to be had and expats like me that would pay a lot more than 300 a day to know once and for all everything was properly grounded if nothing else.

I'll leave the structure, work permits and the rest for you to sort out. But your market is expats who want to deal with someone they trust and can communicate with who will ensure that the work by the 300 day workers is done right. And by the way I don't think it's done wrong out of any malfeasance or laziness it's just setting standards and maybe some training.

If anything your new challenge will be one of marketing not electrical.

Good luck

• 9 months later...

I am a English JIB approved electricain wanting to live in Thailand.

As far as I can tell offshore work is the only way to get decent money in Thailand.

I am 30 and have been in the oil and gas industry for over 6 year with 10 year exp, but no offshore exp. My last job was in Holland working for ASEP. A company that manufactures rigs for the industry. I am planning on doing my survival cert, and my compex (glanding course). I hoped this would give me a chance to get my foot in the door. I am now thinking of doing my rope access course aswell for more of a chance. Is this a waste of time and money.

Any advice would be appreciated, thankyou.

we dont know what you mean.

you dont come here to work and live. you make money elsewhere and then come here.

exception-you get assigned here by your home country employer.

I am a English JIB approved electricain wanting to live in Thailand.

As far as I can tell offshore work is the only way to get decent money in Thailand.

I am 30 and have been in the oil and gas industry for over 6 year with 10 year exp, but no offshore exp. My last job was in Holland working for ASEP. A company that manufactures rigs for the industry. I am planning on doing my survival cert, and my compex (glanding course). I hoped this would give me a chance to get my foot in the door. I am now thinking of doing my rope access course aswell for more of a chance. Is this a waste of time and money.

Any advice would be appreciated, thankyou.

I am almost certain you wont be working as a sparky offshore in the gulf of Thailand. This is not to say there are not expat electrical guys in the GOT there are a few about, but are old hands, been here many years and will be replaced by Thai's once they leave....the DMF is getting pretty militant these days over WP for offshore.....so dont hold your breath..

Dope on a rope course, not going to help you get a job in the GOT per se...but could be useful somewhere else...

BOSIET etc....same same not going to get you a job

I would forget any aspirations of working offshore O&G in Thailand, get a Offshore job somewhere else on even time rotations and live in Thailand on your time off