Your Best Baht Bus Story, Scam, Adventure, Annoyance?

smellyfarang

So we hop a Baht Bus from Jomtien to WS with the usual afternoon traffic and crazy moterbikes zipping around everywhere. I happen to glance down through the back window and notice the driver is not only “steering” with his knees, he has his head down and is intently concentrating on some mesmerizing task that requires not only both hands, but apparently his full, undivided attention that couldn’t be bothered with such distractions as actually looking out the windshield.

What is this urgent, fascinating task you ask? Apparently he decided that driving through heavy traffic was the ideal time to roll a cigarette.

Oops, we hit bump in the road and he’s spilled his tobacco.

He now has his head down BELOW the steering wheel while he meticulously picks up every precious shred of brown heaven.

Eventually satisfied that he has retrieved all his precious puff from the seat (but not before also carefully inspecting his shirt for any strays), he resumes rolling his cigarette. At least at this point he now has his wrists in periodic contact with the steering wheel while he completes the process and lights up with a true sigh of satisfaction.

Finally a brief glance forward to confirm he hasn’t hit anything too large yet. Life is good…

Meanwhile I’m frantically looking for a parachute :)

What other interesting encounters have you had with these guys?

-Smelly

post-80428-1243140149_thumb.jpg

Jingthing?

No. Just another baht bus rider who doesn't wear rose colored glasses.

I don't normally look at the drivers, while they are driving and even while paying. So many are psychopaths that I don't want to establish even an eye contact "relationship" with them. Case in point: this thrilling account. Thanks smellyfarang.

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing?

No. Just another baht bus rider who doesn't wear rose colored glasses.

I don't normally look at the drivers, while they are driving and even while paying. So many are psychopaths that I don't want to establish even an eye contact "relationship" with them. Case in point: this thrilling account. Thanks smellyfarang.

Happy to have survived to report the experience! :)

-Smelly

Jingthing?

What is your point?

I took this as an accusation that I was posting as another identity (NO!) and/or a solicitation for a comment (sure, why not).

No, That was not at all an accusation of you posting under another ID. As I read the OP, I saw you reading also, and since you have some interesting encounters with the baht buses I was looking forward to your reply.

I was praising you for reporting about the recent pick pocketing incident you had last week on another thread, after other posters continuously picked on your story, I wouldn't then just go and accuse you of being someone else.. :) You have some interesting experiences to tell, thats all.

Edited by Meg_2003

OK, no worries. Apologies for any misunderstanding. When I first read the OP, my first thought was Uh Oh, people are going to think this is me as I have acquired this identify as the King of baht bus kvetchers.

Edited by Jingthing

OK, no worries. Apologies for any misunderstanding. When I first read the OP, my first thought was Uh Oh, people are going to think this is me as I have acquired this identify as the King of baht bus kvetchers.

Nope, not at all.. I enjoy reading about your Baht bus adventures. Sorry for the misunderstanding!