Copying My 'favourites' List To Disc

slippery when wet

Hi. I'm moving house and selling my computer so that I can purchase a laptop.

Saved in my favourites file on my present computer are numerous websites.

It would take forever to write these websites down but they are all organised under different categories and important to me. It it possible to save these to disc and then copy to the favourites list on my new laptop.

I have no idea if it os possible and if so how it is done.

Thanks- slippery.....................

You can also copy them to a file and put it on floppy disk (or memory stick or whatever).

Copy the contents of C:\Documents and Settings\login_name\Favorites to a text file you create with a text editor like Notepad.

Save the file.

You can copy them back to any PC. :o

Jai Dee -Thanks for your reply to my original posting, however Im not too sure how to do what you suggest as I'm a novice in using computers. Could you please explain in more laymans terms.

Much appreciated.

Slippery....................

What operating system are you using?

I think all the browsers have a feature for importing and exporting favourites, bookmarks, whatever they call them.

I'll assume that you're using Windows (probably similar on a Mac but I can't check that...)

If you are using Internet Explorer, go to the File menu and select Import/Export. The Import/Export wizard comes up so tell that you want to export your favourites. Remember where you saved the file and copy it to a disk. On the new computer, do the same thing but import the favourites.

If you are using Netscape, a similar feature is in Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks. From the window that opens, select Tools > Export and tell it where to save the file. Copy the file to a disk. On the new computer, do the same thing but select Import from the Tools menu.

If you are using Firefox, it is probably something similar but I'm on my work laptop and Firefox is on the home PC... There are plenty of Firefox users on here who can correct me if it is very different from these.

You could do it via a text file as Jai Dee says but I've never had problems using the built-in commands. You can also use these to copy from browser to browser (e.g. export from Internet Explorer and import to Netscape)

Hi,

If you're using Opera, the files are saved in .adr format.

In Opera 7 (all versions), these are stored in \Program Files\Opera\profiles...then look for any file with a .adr extension.

Copy these to disk and import into your new browser as has been suggested above.

Good luck.

BG