Maternity Insurance

Considering having kids, but (after reading some horror stories on here) about astronomical hospital costs in the event of birth complications (premature birth etc...)

We requested some maternity insurance packages from our normal insurance agent but all the packages they offer seem to be general heath/life insurance with a fairly meager/limited maternity option tacked on the end. Basically you end up having to purchase 1,000,000 baht of life insurance just to get a 150K payout for a few limited birth defects... we already have healthy/life insurance.

Does anyone know of an insurance company which offers maternity packages which cover only, but extensively all birth complications?

Basically i want to know that if something goes wrong and the baby ends up in the ICU of a private hospital and the bill runs to a million or something; i'm covered. I don't want to be having to make difficult financially decisions at that time.

The first point is to stay away from these agents who try and sell Life Insurance and Medical Insurance combined – they are expensive and do not offer good value except to the agent, who gets very high commissions for selling these types of products (and guess who pays !)

As we have said in other posts agents are just that, agents for a company who have no knowledge of all the other products available.

It cost you nothing to use a legally license Broker and they offer the best advice and quite often actually save you money.

In your case there are policies who will cover a female should she get pregnant and at birth cover the complications.

Suggest you contact Thai Visa Insurance with your full requirements :

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form

• 2 weeks later...

we used william russell for my wifes maternity cover which provided 80% cover. You need to be insured with them for 12 months before it will cover maternity costs. This effectively means that you can have the cover for three months, and then get pregnant, and at least the birth will be covered. Of course, once the 12 months are up, all pre-natal costs are covered to 80% as well.

The cover also includes 28 days worth of insurance for the newborn, in case the new bubs needs any care.

We used it, and claimed no worries.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, insurance is a 12 month qualifying thing but even then, most are just covering the usual birth package costs.

To TV Insurance:

Are you saying that once a woman finds herself pregnant, you know of a policy which people can purchase which would not pay for the birth package but which would cover any non normal emergency type things, were complications to set in etc. If so, would that policy cover pre natal and post natal complications and what sort of limits are we looking it ? An indication of a typical premium would be useful as well, say for a healthy 25 year old female having her first child with no known medical problems.

With Torrenova, what about a policy for when the buns already in the oven?

my old work used to offer New York Life Siam Commerical (I think) which covered my wife's first pregancy, but it was only the birth and only up to about 35K. Not great, but we took it given that it was offered even though I had joined to company after my wife was already pregant.

So fairly limited, and if there was even an hint from the Dr that there was going to be a complication, we would have hightailed it down to Australia where it would have been free for us....

• 3 months later...
The first point is to stay away from these agents who try and sell Life Insurance and Medical Insurance combined – they are expensive and do not offer good value except to the agent, who gets very high commissions for selling these types of products (and guess who pays !)

.. I strong disagree to this. Life insurance and medical insurance serve different needs. The first one is about risk-transfer. No other way that you can guarantee large cash supply to your family with small amount of money. Many people could not have enough money to maintain the family's living so this is the way.

Buying medical insurance alone, means you spoil an amount of money year after year if no claim. And there is no guarantee that the company will accept your application next year if you did claim big time. But buying medical insurance with life insurance policy, one you might use money earn from policy in each year to buy medical insurance; two, plan well and you could be accept to buy medical insurance until the age 70.

P.S. non-life insurance has to pay for 'Commission' too but in terms of salary/brokerage fee. No such business firm could run 'expense-free'!!

.. I strong disagree to this. Life insurance and medical insurance serve different needs. The first one is about risk-transfer. No other way that you can guarantee large cash supply to your family with small amount of money. Many people could not have enough money to maintain the family's living so this is the way.

Buying medical insurance alone, means you spoil an amount of money year after year if no claim. And there is no guarantee that the company will accept your application next year if you did claim big time. But buying medical insurance with life insurance policy, one you might use money earn from policy in each year to buy medical insurance; two, plan well and you could be accept to buy medical insurance until the age 70.

P.S. non-life insurance has to pay for 'Commission' too but in terms of salary/brokerage fee. No such business firm could run 'expense-free'!!

Good comments here.

• 1 year later...

Did TV insurance ever answer this question? If not I guess no such policy exists?

Yeah, insurance is a 12 month qualifying thing but even then, most are just covering the usual birth package costs.

To TV Insurance:

Are you saying that once a woman finds herself pregnant, you know of a policy which people can purchase which would not pay for the birth package but which would cover any non normal emergency type things, were complications to set in etc. If so, would that policy cover pre natal and post natal complications and what sort of limits are we looking it ? An indication of a typical premium would be useful as well, say for a healthy 25 year old female having her first child with no known medical problems.

Did TV insurance ever answer this question? If not I guess no such policy exists?

To TV Insurance:

Sorry I thought this had been answered many times before. Yes there are policies that cover this and as an indication for a 25 year old the premium would be USD446

Please go HERE to request on-line information

Hi

Thanks but that link doesnt seem to be working, any ideas?

To TV Insurance:

Sorry I thought this had been answered many times before. Yes there are policies that cover this and as an indication for a 25 year old the premium would be USD446

In my case. We go to the clinic once a month for vitamins, exam and ultra sound 600baht. The same doctor at the clinic works at bkk-pattaya and banglamung hospital.....At bkk a c-section for twins cost 40,000baht for everything. At banglamung it is less then half that price. Now I was/am also concerned about pre-,mature birth. If your wife is thai she can apply for a card that pays for the majority of the treatment. It would be in the goverment hospital but you can pay for your private doctor separately. I know you are asking about insurance but this is just another option you might want to investigate.........

Hey Yankee99,

I don't think you are right about the twin package price.

It should cost you about 80,000thb for this package - afaik

In BNH it would cost you 85,000thb, we just gave birth there for our twins, had minor complications, the bill went up to 120 for the babies, and 60 for the mother.

all the best!.

In my case. We go to the clinic once a month for vitamins, exam and ultra sound 600baht. The same doctor at the clinic works at bkk-pattaya and banglamung hospital.....At bkk a c-section for twins cost 40,000baht for everything. At banglamung it is less then half that price. Now I was/am also concerned about pre-,mature birth. If your wife is thai she can apply for a card that pays for the majority of the treatment. It would be in the goverment hospital but you can pay for your private doctor separately. I know you are asking about insurance but this is just another option you might want to investigate.........

Thai wife only pay for vitamins (60bht/month at local hospital)

Ultrasound and doctor free.

Can pay extra 800bht a night for private room for birth.

Usually only have c-section if foreigner pay, locals all have natural.

Pre-me often fault of hospital, get date wrong, induce birth early, very common mistake all over world.

That all it cost.

Edited by OlafStapleton

Hey Yankee99,

I don't think you are right about the twin package price.

It should cost you about 80,000thb for this package - afaik

In BNH it would cost you 85,000thb, we just gave birth there for our twins, had minor complications, the bill went up to 120 for the babies, and 60 for the mother.

all the best!.

You may be correct. This quote was from the doctor we deal with. I know if you or i go to the hospital directly it is way more. The doctor examines more then 50 women a day. I really wonder when he has time to deliver the patients babies. I will have the total in the next 30 days..

Thanks for the link.

Hi

Thanks but that link doesnt seem to be working, any ideas?

To TV Insurance:

I have always paid for my medical bills here in cash, and if my wife was pregnant that would be no exception, it would only be the potentially astronomical costs of NICU care in the event of a premature birth that would bother me, I am currently looking into some policies courtesy of Thaivisa Insurance, hopefully we can find something suitable.