Smtp Settings

laphroaig

Hi

I am visiting Chiang Mai next month and have booked a neat guest house (well it looks pretty good to me) with interneat access as part of the deal.

I need to continue running my business in New Zealand and for e-mail would prefer to use my existing Outlook 2007 program. I presume that I will therefore have to change my SMTP settings to match those of the guest house ISP.

I tried to do this last visit but was unable to make it clear to the hotel owner what it was I was looking for and in the end I used webmail instead for an easy life.

I don't even know if the guest house uses Outlook but am sure that I can find out the SMTP setting if i know the ISP.

What would you advise. Ask the owner for SMTP settings or ask for their ISP and try to get them for myself. Any ideas?

If they can't understand me, is there a simple question in Thai which would give me the required information?

Thanks

Hi

I am visiting Chiang Mai next month and have booked a neat guest house (well it looks pretty good to me) with interneat access as part of the deal.

I need to continue running my business in New Zealand and for e-mail would prefer to use my existing Outlook 2007 program. I presume that I will therefore have to change my SMTP settings to match those of the guest house ISP.

I tried to do this last visit but was unable to make it clear to the hotel owner what it was I was looking for and in the end I used webmail instead for an easy life.

I don't even know if the guest house uses Outlook but am sure that I can find out the SMTP setting if i know the ISP.

What would you advise. Ask the owner for SMTP settings or ask for their ISP and try to get them for myself. Any ideas?

If they can't understand me, is there a simple question in Thai which would give me the required information?

Thanks

Not necessarily so.

Are you brining your own computer to use "your" outlook? In which case the smtp settings will become obvious when you get here. Usualy your home settings work, occaisionaly you have to change the port, but less so nowadays.

Or are you asking the guesthouse owner to configure his outlook on his computer? (Insecure, no?)

I think the reason they cant understand, is because you dont (yet) have a problem!

I suspect when you get there, you wont have an issue. If you do, repost. It will be a simple thing to configure

Unless I a missing the point, the SMTP settings refer to my outgoing mail server. My present smtp settings are smtp.xtra.co.nz. As soon as I move to another ISP (even within New Zealand) they cease to work for what I understood to be obvious reasons. I have to reset them to allow the Outlook account to connect to the ISP outgoing server.

POP3 settings can of course remain the same.

I am taking my own laptop and want to receive incoming and send outgoing mail

Edited by laphroaig

First of all I'm no technophile...

But I think the key to solving this is to find out what ISP the guest house is using. With this information it should be (relatively with a little digging) straightforward to find the smtp details online and input them to your Outlook.

Following link will reveal the public IP address assigned to the guesthouse main router/modem.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/staticpages/index.php/lookup-ip

Just click on "look up IP address" and you'll see what ISP they are using.

Hostname: adsl-pool-124.157.223-xxx.dynamic.tttmaxnet.com

ISP: Maxnet, Internet Service Provider, Bangkok

Organization: Maxnet ISP, Bangkok Thailand, for Dynamic IP pools

Proxy: None detected

Type: Cable/DSL

The above is what I get at my place.

A quick google reveals then that Maxnet's smtp server is smtp.tttmaxnet.com!

If you are using anything but port 25 for smtp, you will be fine.

All these work-arounds only really apply when using ISPs that are blocking port 25 to all other servers than their own.

Not really true!

Indeed many ISP's block port 25, unless you use their SMTP server.

The OP's problem, is his own NZ ISP blocking access to their smtp server when online using any other ISP, regardless of where you are.

Even if the Thai ISP the OP would have in the guesthouse would freely allow all smtp servers, he still would not have access as his NZ smtp server blocks the inbound traffic on port 25.

His only easy solution is to use the smtp server of the ISP used at the guesthouse (or use webmail).

If you are using anything but port 25 for smtp, you will be fine.

All these work-arounds only really apply when using ISPs that are blocking port 25 to all other servers than their own.

Not really true!

Indeed many ISP's block port 25, unless you use their SMTP server.

The OP's problem, is his own NZ ISP blocking access to their smtp server when online using any other ISP, regardless of where you are.

Even if the Thai ISP the OP would have in the guesthouse would freely allow all smtp servers, he still would not have access as his NZ smtp server blocks the inbound traffic on port 25.

His only easy solution is to use the smtp server of the ISP used at the guesthouse (or use webmail).

I would use gmail he can set it up to collect his external email and then send it as if its come from hi sopther email..

I would use gmail he can set it up to collect his external email and then send it as if its come from hi sopther email..

Yep, and you can use outlook 2007 with gmail, they don't use port 25 for smtp.

Thank you

I have Gmail account bt would appreciate being pointed towards instructions to use Outlook and use the same email addresses I presently use

the only way is the way i do it, i think.

Use a paid SMTP service.

I have a couple of websites and domains running in holland, and the hoster doesn't provide SMTP services (unless via webmail), this is pretty common.

As I live here in LOS, where I am using crappy TOT, I am reluctant to use their SMTP servers, as these are always blacklisted.

So i opted for a paid SMTP service from the US (30 $ or so per year) where i can have multiple outgoing email addresses.

The good thing here is that due to the fact that it's paid smtp servers, they will never be used for spam, so pretty sure that i don't end up in somebody's spam box as well.

Downside is that all email, when it's sent, goes through US and UK based servers, which for Thailand means internbational bandwidth, which means "long time"

PM me if you need more info.

Thanks all

I have configured OUtlook for Gmail and will use that to send all of my e-mails with the return address showing as my standard work accounts for an easy 'reply to'.

I don't know much about this stuff and because it looked easy I set up POP for the service. I read about IMAP and that seemed better but I couldn't understand the instructions about which incoming and outgoing server to use so let that one go. The Googlemail instructions for a non geek seemed a bit complicated.

Anyway, as long as 'POP' works in the guesthouse it appears that everything is resolved.

I appreciate the help and comments

T

If you are using your own domain name for email and your mail server is something like mail.yourdomain.com you can use this as your outgoing mail server (assuming that it is not blocked by the ISP).

If you are using your own domain name for email and your mail server is something like mail.yourdomain.com you can use this as your outgoing mail server (assuming that it is not blocked by the ISP).

It seems that on the cheaper internet packages (so called home packages) smtp traffic is blocked altogether.

Maxnet Indy has blocked port 25, but the more expensive Maxnet premier has port 25 open...

I live in Thailand but travel a lot, both in Thailand and abroad. I often had the same problem in hotels etc trying to find the correct outgoing server settings. I now use a program called smtp2go (can be googled) and pay about 20 bucks a year. It handles all my email wherever I am and seems to be at the same speed.