Charity Workers Must Get Work Permits

RDN

There are a lot of dickheads who do nothing but moan and complain - like you, for example.

What we're talking about are people who are actively working to help the tsunami effort - those that donate time, effort, money. Do you honestly think that if Thais went to the US to donate time, effort and money to an earthquake relief effort that the US government would make them get a work permit? I don't think so.

You would not get into the US in the second place! you would not get on aplane to the US in the first place! :o

Very funny, especially considering I am American.

You don't seem to remember the content of your own posting. Dementia Praecox or

an early Reagan syndrome?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fast track? What's that, the new improved Bangkok subway?

My boss, who's worked in the province about 30 years, walked me into the Labour Office to get me a work permit. I'm a teacher, full time. The officer (a senior looking man) said they'd never issued a work permit to a teacher before. He gave me a 'fast track' booklet that has nothing to do with teachers. The issue has been dropped.

It's not easy to get a work permit. I wouldn't blame any aid worker who leaves. Thai people are generally very hospitable; their government is not hospitable to foreigners.

My country, the USA, is even worse in its immigration policies. We have a friend back there who spent many months in federal prison merely for helping political refugees get through the USA on their way to a more friendly country, Canada, in the 1980's.

I'll let you know if I get a work permit before I retire once again.

i got to admit that with the work permit laws changing so much im not sure whether this is relevant, now wouldnt each person requiring a work permit have to be backed up by his thai company showing 2 million baht for each applicant in a thai bank account, so lets say the redcross has 20 ppl helping out here, they would need 40 million in their thai registered companies bank account, now would they also have to show that they employed 200 thai nationals aswell.

oh well, when thailand has its next disaster, i feel sure that some volunteers will chose more worthy countries to help.

Hang On Guys

I am a bit confuesed

Last night on prime TV in Australia Thais where crying for Austalians to go to Phuket to help in charity work, no mention of needing a work permit

Okay did a check with the Thai Embassy Qld

No mention of a work permit needed and we said we go for help charity

No my second question

I go Thailand hire motor bike take bar girl for ride

I am doing Thai out of job, can I be arrested not have work Permit ?

My lady want to paint her room, I help, can I be arrested not have work Permit ?

She want me to give her good massage

Done Thai lady out of job, can I be arrested not have work Permit ?

If I help an Old lady carry a food tray to her table, am I now doing a waiter out of a job

Help fix a car, I become a mechanic

Fix a thai friend computer, I work as a Technician

At what point does working start and help stop

A US Lawyer would hav a field day with this law

Sorry so full of holes it is funny

Guess this we love the most

Only In Thailand

Hey, work is work, right.

But who losses when the farang volenteers leave. The locals that the goverment has not helped.

Once all the farnags have left to help others, the goverment can go back to doing nothing. and there will be no one to say a word about the millions of billions of baht that was for the tsunami relief.

Can you image what it would be like down south if there were international observiors present?

People who donate their time and energy - with no pay- to humanitarian efforts at registered charities in service of approved causes, should not need Work Permits. This is common sense.

I haven't yet been persuaded by those who have argued to the contrary here.

I daresay that this is the edict of some mid-rank bureaucrat. If it is upheld though -by the only one person who seems to have any authority in this country, then take it as a sign that they want to clear out all foreigners snooping around the affected areas (in time for the Phuket Land Office/Police 'land-grab')

Edited by The_Moog

i got to admit that with the work permit laws changing so much im not sure whether this is relevant, now wouldnt each person requiring a work permit have to be backed up by his thai company showing 2 million baht for each applicant in a thai bank account, so lets say the redcross has 20 ppl helping out here, they would need 40 million in their thai registered companies bank account, now would they also have to show that they employed 200 thai nationals aswell.

oh well, when thailand has its next disaster, i feel sure that some volunteers will chose more worthy countries to help.

aren't most of those organisations ngo's :D

what is the law for them, it's getting even more confusing :o

au revoir :D

Like the man said " If you want a work permit apply and we will give you one'

Pretty simple ain't it ?

The law is the law, so instead of passing new laws to enable charity workers to help without a work permit in the event of a natural disaster, it is much easier for them to apply for a work permit.

Don't make new laws, just stick to the present ones.

Makes sense to me.

Edited by Doctor John

Pretty simple ain't it ?

The law is the law, so instead of passing new laws to enable charity workers to help without a work permit in the event of a natural disaster, it is much easier for them to apply for a work permit.

Makes sense to me.

i think as the present law stands you are not allowed to work until you get your work permit now, so if the thais want to enforce this now after letting all these ppl that have been helping them over the last couple of months, why they didnt they enforce the law when these ppl came to help in the first place, they could have spent a week letting the bodies rot etc while their work permits were being processed, or maybe they just could have gone to a country that was worthy of being helped and actually apprecciated the help, also the work permit has to be applied for in the area u r working and there was a lot of public holidays so it may have taken a couple of weeks to get the permits sorted out as the area was in such a mess.

What a dumb idea.

It would be much simpler for a volunteer working for a charity to simply register with the charity, with the normal immigration form number, state what his/her role is in the relief effort, and where he/she can be found.

Then the immigration authorities would simply check with the charity in case they have any questions - just like a hotel is required to register foreigners in the same manner.

Work permits are meant for those who are seeking gainful employ.  If you work for a charity and you get paid, then you require a work permit - but if you are a volunteer...

Imagine this - I am going to require a work permit to run my website - you know what my answer to that will be (three words).

WORKING OF ALIENS ACT,

B.E. 2521 (1978)

BHUMIBOL ADULYADEJ, REX.

Given on the 8th Day of July B.E. 2521;

Being the 33rd Year of the Present Reign.

His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej is graciously pleased to proclaim that:

Whereas it is expedient to revise the Law on working of aliens;

Be it, therefore, enacted by the King, by and with the advice and consent of the National Legislative Assembly as follows:

Section 1. This Act is called the "Working of Aliens Act, B.E. 2521"

Section 2. This Act shall come into force as from the day following the date of its publication in the Government Gazette.*

Section 3. The Announcement of the National Executive Council No. 322,Date 13th December B.E. 2515 shall be repealed.

Section 4. This Act does not apply to the performance of a specific duty by aliens in the Kingdom in the following capacities:

(1) as members of a diplomatic mission;

(2) as members of a consular mission;

(3) as representatives of member countries and officials of the United Nations Organization and its specialized agencies;

(4) as personal servants coming from foreign countries to work regularly for persons in (1),(2) or (3);

(5) as persons who perform duty or mission under an agreement concluded between the Government of Thailand and a foreign Government of international organization;

(6) as persons who perform duty or mission for the benefit of education, culture, art, sport of other activities as may be prescribed by the Royal Decree;

(7) as persons permitted by the Government of Thailand to enter and perform any duty or mission.

Section 5. In this Act,

"alien" means a natural person who is not of Thai nationality;

"work" means to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefit; "permit" means a work permit;

"holder of permit" means an alien who has been granted a permit;

"Committee" means the Committee Considering Working of Aliens;

"competent official" means a person appointed by Mistister for the execution of this Act;

"Registrar" means a person appointed by the Minister as Registrar of working aliens;

"Director-General" means the Director-General of the Employment Department;

"Minister" means the Minister having charge and control of the execution of

this Act.

Section 6.............

NUFF SAID REGARDING THE LAW ????

On the other hand, I've been saying for six months that if Thai Rak Thai got re-elected, then they would take the gloves off concerning farangs within Thailand.

Never forget Purachai Piumsomboon's words on TV, in Khao San Road, when he was Interior Minister - "this government must find ways to reduce the number of foreigners on one year visas staying in Thailand".

That was 3 years ago, and everything I've seen since tells me he wasn't joking.

edited as I quoted the wrong post - oops

Edited by Gaz Chiangmai

Pretty simple ain't it ?

Makes sense to me.

makes sense? Simple? It's ok to ask for help with no work permit when they are really struggling and when things quiet down a little they tell people that they will go to jail if they keep helping.

You can't seriously agree wuth the way this has been done?

If I was helping out and they gave me that ,then the answer is quite simple.Tell them where to shove it.They will be hurting their own people..shame really when they ASKED for help.

The obvious question is this.

What is the fee paid per worker by the charity to apply for a work permit?

Are charities required to pay this fee for relief workers?

The fee for a period of -

1 day to 90 days = B 750

91 days to 180 days = B1500

181 days to 270 days = B2250

270 days to 1 year = B3000

----------------------

Thailand did the same in 2001 (to foreign investors and business people) who had helped rebuild the economy after the 1997 crash - basically a kick in the spherical objects and no "thank you".

They also did the same in July 2003, after Thaksin paid back the IMF loan that saved the Thai banking system from collapse after 1997 - PM Thaksin announced that 31 July would be known as Thai Independence Day because foreign interference had been removed from their economic systems, and that all Thai occupied buildings must fly the national flag from the highest point on that day. Again there was no "thank you" but rather a raising of the middle digit.

That's the real reason Thaksin stated on 27 Dec that Thailand needed no foreign financial or food aid, and followed it with statements that Thailand could help itself. If he hadn't, he would have been crucified from too many quarters by people with long memories, and he would have had a huge loss of face.

In terms of vote-boosting, the tsunami did for him what the Falkland's war did for the UK Conservative Party and Margaret Thatcher back in 1982.

Never believe TRT are grateful for any help received, or that they actually want it.

Being so pissed off see below!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I wanna see this Sayan and teach him as a Charity Volunteer requiring no pay to learn how to eat his hay and oats properly. :o:D:D:D

Edited by DaveYo

Be thankful they let you stay in "their" country. Because for sure, they're typically not welcome in yours.

Sheesh!

Goof! :o

We western nations vet people because once they get in our country's they can claim refugee status, claim welfare, become eligible for 'charity care' in hospitals, give birth to babies who get immediate citizenship, etc, etc.

Basically they are afforded 'rights' in a system that is prone to abuse. Someone who arrives in Canada and claims refugee status can be on the public teat for up to 5 years.

It took my wife a matter of months to emigrate to Canada and after 3 years she applied for citizenship; 1 year later, after writing the citizenship test, she had it in her hand.

SHE NOW HAS ALL OF THE SAME RIGHTS AS A CANADIAN WHOSE FAMILY HAS LIVED THERE FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS.

And, furthermore, I'd like to mention that immediately upon landing and signing a piece of paper at the airport she had all of the same rights as a Canadian, minus the right to vote.

Come to Thailand even married to a Thai and you get jack, other than the right to abode. Occasionally even then you might be required to leave every 90 days. You can't own land, have no immediate right to gain employment anywhere; are simply barred from certain enterprises....can't vote, have no medical, etc, etc.

And if they want to kick your ass out-out you go.

Try claiming refugee status or some such bullshit and they'd prefer to dump your ass in a cell with a bunch of Nigerians or even kill your your ass if it didn't interrupt their snooze in the hammock or next shake-down.

In this case I think they have a point with the latest notice, but fall so totally flat in their presentation.

Laws are necessary, but how they're applied and relayed are equally important; no need to come off sounding like heavy-handed cocks like the Thais do, in this instance...

Sheesh. :D

IA

Edited by IsaanAlex

Listen here is my darn two cents into all this. To me charity is volunteering. You are putting in your own personal time to HELP OR ASSIST OTHERS AND NOT GETTING PAID PERIOD.

One cannot claim charity or something of it being volunteer activities as WORK. In my opinion, that person who is Sayan at the provincial employment division ought to be RETIRED TO PASTURE.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, this kind of people who say these things ought to have their heads re-screwed back on again.

DaveYo :D:D:D:D:o:D:D

Right now all the charity workers and volunteers ought to walk out of there in disgust as protest to the Thailand Government and give the finger hand signal saying adios to Sayan.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr, when in need they cry for help and assistance. Once they get this help then they complain for work permit MONEY.

Next time some catastrophe happens here I am gonna go on TV and tell all the countries not to help cause Thailand does not want charity or volunteers, and if they come you have to apply for a permit since they would rather have MONEY instead.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. No problem, cause that is exactly what I will do next time something bad happens.

:D:D:D:o:D:D

Right on.. you go guys.. get dem non-work permit people out of here.. no need for Westerners to help out now..!! why help at all.. the Thai do a great job of working hard each day..[yes siree...sur pop] It took me 3 months to build a 22 meter fence to keep my dog from getting out to kill the neighbors fighting chickens.. she killed & ate ten of them ... [so they claimed]... now the fence is finally done and the chickens are all dead. 3 months later....."WHY THE THAI MAN NO COME???

all I kept saying day after day... WHY THE THAI MAN NO COME?? What does it take to get a Thai to work on time??? only money....I could have built the fence in just a fraction of that time but they tell me I need a Thai to do the work.. Even if I had a work permit or not.. yes I do have a work permit and it was rather simple to get so If I have to do it so should all those other foreigners do it too.. whao I love this place.. and oh boy I am so happy I own a dog and not had to get married just to stay here.. I did it all on my own and never had to get a wife just to stay here or any country I have lived in..And who needs a wife with a great housekeeper anyways.. at 400 baht a day..it cost me 10 times that in the states....

I prefer to watch others do the job..pay them double of what they normally get.. and make lots of friends because that is all anyone wants from one another..$$$$ My old friend Elvis once said, "Make it and then spend it" as you can't take it with you.

THAILAND RULES.. :o:D:D

post-15227-1107878269_thumb.jpg

Charity workers in the South = "Let me see your work permits, now!"

Politician's son shot some one dead = "How can I help you, sir?"

Burmese workers in the South = "You won't get any help 'cause you're not Thai."

Tourist Police killed 2 Brites = "He's a good guy."

An average Thai is bleeding badly at the police station = "I am busy. Don't you see? Come back tomorrow!"

Welcome to Thailand, the land of double standard. :o

Hi people,

Sorry for posting a new question about this in the "work permit" area. I did a search, but did not find anything about this issue.

I have a friend who gave up his vacation plans to fly to Thailand right after the tsunami. While helping an organized group he discovered a need among a group of "sea gypsy" fishermen and put out a call for funds to help them.

He organized a program on his own to document the specific needs of these folks, and purchase things like lumber to get their boats back in the water.

This is one of the most direct ways anyone could help - particularly in light of our PM's rejection of money from international relief agencies. I had already donated to one that had Thai connections, but it made sense to do so again for my friend's effort.

He is still involved in this effort, but in an email to me he expressed surprise, offense and confusion about what to do.

The posts above have covered the gamut of feelings about this. I agree it is both a shame in a way but also necessary. The US immigration organization is definitely worse in its treatment to foreigners.

My question is, how can he best deal with the issue of not being part of a registered relief agency? Join up with one?

What would be the minimum requirements to document his small group of people to satisfy the work permit people? If presented properly, I think that even Thai bureaucrats would be touched by his honest efforts and want to help.

I certainly hope that there is no fee for this sort of "work" permit - see the official quote above (thank you Gaz Chiangmai).

What a dumb idea.

It would be much simpler for a volunteer working for a charity to simply register with the charity, with the normal immigration form number, state what his/her role is in the relief effort, and where he/she can be found.

Then the immigration authorities would simply check with the charity in case they have any questions - just like a hotel is required to register foreigners in the same manner.

Work permits are meant for those who are seeking gainful employ.  If you work for a charity and you get paid, then you require a work permit - but if you are a volunteer...

Imagine this - I am going to require a work permit to run my website - you know what my answer to that will be (three words).

WORKING OF ALIENS ACT,

B.E. 2521 (1978)

BHUMIBOL ADULYADEJ, REX.

Given on the 8th Day of July B.E. 2521;

Being the 33rd Year of the Present Reign.

His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej is graciously pleased to proclaim that:

Whereas it is expedient to revise the Law on working of aliens;

Be it, therefore, enacted by the King, by and with the advice and consent of the National Legislative Assembly as follows:

Section 1. This Act is called the "Working of Aliens Act, B.E. 2521"

Section 2. This Act shall come into force as from the day following the date of its publication in the Government Gazette.*

Section 3. The Announcement of the National Executive Council No. 322,Date 13th December B.E. 2515 shall be repealed.

Section 4. This Act does not apply to the performance of a specific duty by aliens in the Kingdom in the following capacities:

(1) as members of a diplomatic mission;

(2) as members of a consular mission;

(3) as representatives of member countries and officials of the United Nations Organization and its specialized agencies;

(4) as personal servants coming from foreign countries to work regularly for persons in (1),(2) or (3);

(5) as persons who perform duty or mission under an agreement concluded between the Government of Thailand and a foreign Government of international organization;

(6) as persons who perform duty or mission for the benefit of education, culture, art, sport of other activities as may be prescribed by the Royal Decree;

(7) as persons permitted by the Government of Thailand to enter and perform any duty or mission.

Section 5. In this Act,

"alien" means a natural person who is not of Thai nationality;

"work" means to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefit; "permit" means a work permit;

"holder of permit" means an alien who has been granted a permit;

"Committee" means the Committee Considering Working of Aliens;

"competent official" means a person appointed by Mistister for the execution of this Act;

"Registrar" means a person appointed by the Minister as Registrar of working aliens;

"Director-General" means the Director-General of the Employment Department;

"Minister" means the Minister having charge and control of the execution of

this Act.

Section 6.............

NUFF SAID REGARDING THE LAW ????

On the other hand, I've been saying for six months that if Thai Rak Thai got re-elected, then they would take the gloves off concerning farangs within Thailand.

Never forget Purachai Piumsomboon's words on TV, in Khao San Road, when he was Interior Minister - "this government must find ways to reduce the number of foreigners on one year visas staying in Thailand".

That was 3 years ago, and everything I've seen since tells me he wasn't joking.

edited as I quoted the wrong post - oops

sorry to quote the whole lot, but here is the bit i find funny

erm, tell that to any farang school teacher, i think you will find that a lot of laws have changed since the royal decree.

1 day to 90 days = B 750

----------------------

Thailand did the same in 2001 (to foreign investors and business people) who had helped rebuild the economy after the 1997 crash - basically a kick in the spherical objects and no "thank you".

They also did the same in July 2003, after Thaksin paid back the IMF loan that saved the Thai banking system from collapse after 1997 - PM Thaksin announced that 31 July would be known as Thai Independence Day because foreign interference had been removed from their economic systems, and that all Thai occupied buildings must fly the national flag from the highest point on that day. Again there was no "thank you" but rather a raising of the middle digit.

That's the real reason Thaksin stated on 27 Dec that Thailand needed no foreign financial or food aid, and followed it with statements that Thailand could help itself. If he hadn't, he would have been crucified from too many quarters by people with long memories, and he would have had a huge loss of face.

In terms of vote-boosting, the tsunami did for him what the Falkland's war did for the UK Conservative Party and Margaret Thatcher back in 1982.

Never believe TRT are grateful for any help received, or that they actually want it.

i always believed the fee for a work permit used to be a 1000 odd baht and valid as long as your visa, i also thought now the fee for a work permit was 10,000baht and valid as long as your visa, obviously both can be extended.

1 day to 90 days = B 750

----------------------

i always believed the fee for a work permit used to be a 1000 odd baht and valid as long as your visa, i also thought now the fee for a work permit was 10,000baht and valid as long as your visa, obviously both can be extended.

errmm - nope

It was proposed in 1998 after the crash - to raise the WP fee to 10k but Immigration squashed it saying the economy couldn't support it.

When the raise to 3000 was introduced in 2003, a government minister (at a foreign chamber of commerce dinner in Phuket) stated he didn't know what the fuss was all about - "All foreigners make hundreds of thousands of baht per month, in my opinion the fee should be at least 300,000 baht per year" was the direct quote.

The sting in the tail has been the shifting of a comma or two in the law, so that now, if you WP and visa does not start and end on the same day your WP is classed as falling into two "visa years" - e.g. visa 1 July to 30 June but WP runs 15 July to 14 July. Labour (Chiangmai) say this means the fees is 750 baht for 1 July to 14 July, and 3000 baht for 15 July to 30 June .......

...... because the work permit year is based on the original issue date of the work permit BOOK - regardless of howmany times you've changed employer, or had spells of not working, or periods outside the country coming in on a new visa etc. Labour (Chiangmai) will only work on the anniversary of the book being issued, and even the One Stop Centre in BKK will find any excuse to get the book issuance date out of line with the visa - to increase fee revenue - they must be on some type of bonus for how many "stings" of this type they can pull.

i think there's problem with definitions of "work" and "job employment"

if charity activity paid - it's a job, so charity oranisation should apply for easier procedures of some kind of temp permits.

if person does charity activities on his/her own, and there're no any wedges, salaries bonuses etc., even he/she provided with basic accomodation, transportation and other provisions - than such activity has nothing to do with jobs as emplyment and work permit is not required.

now, say a person coming to Thailand to meet thai businesses and even sign contract as rep. of overseas company - it is "work", right?

but why should businessman spend time collecting all redic. papers just to get Non-B visa for one trip here? TR-visa is enough, although makes it illegal activity, according to imm dept.

I think raids should start at every trade show and fair. Lots of farangs are working without w.p. !!!My point - guys from charities has no reason to fear, as long as they receive no cash.

Australians do not need a work permit anymore for conducting business such as described above, the Business visa is also easier for Aussies to obtain now too.

I like the TAFTA - plus it puts us Aussies a step ahead of other Farangs (giggle giggle.. gloat gloat).