Flying Bug Buildinga House ?

H2oDunc

Within a few minutes of me opening the front doors of the house on a morning we get a little visitor. As I sit watching the news and checking my mail I have watched this weird looking bug come and go. When it flies its long legs hang down like a paraglider. It looks very wasp like :D It has started to build either a home or a nest. Not sure what it is or whether to leave it alone or bin it ? It is building whatever on the side of a chair in the living room. I managed to get a couple of snaps of it here. Thanks in advance :)

post-24982-1243397117_thumb.jpg

post-24982-1243397145_thumb.jpg

Edited by H2oDunc

Billy the Bug :D

I don't want to kill it or move it if it will not kill the missus. She wants to kill and eat most things that move or fly :) Its very industrious and as sai within a few minutes of opening the doors he's there.

No idea what it is but very interesting! Could he/she be attracted to the colour of the chair, or the wood?

It might be better to gently transfer it elsewhere, as a large wasp nest could very soon become a problem!

Billy was at my house door first, but we could not agree on his construction project.

btw it's not a wasp and if you remove the nest Billy will disappear.

Edited by Birdman

The nest will not get very big. I believe it is a solitary wasp. When there is nothing better to do I like to watch them come and go to the few nests we have at home. One started making its nest in one of my son's computer speakers. Cleared everything out and it just started again. Quite entertaining actually. BTW its not dangerous.

Interesting creatures - I watched one build a small house in the back of my pick-up over a few days. I swear he'd be waiting for me to park the pick-up so he could carry on building:

gallery_35489_957_6180.jpg

gallery_35489_957_91048.jpg

gallery_35489_957_38820.jpg

gallery_35489_957_211428.jpg