Illegal To Use Thai Spouse As Nominee In Land Ownership

Simple solution to all this.

Go Thailand...enjoy, have holiday and fun.

Rent your abode...do not try to buy.

Do not marry a Thai woman...it's a big sweet shop out there.

and remember 3 things...

Thailand is a Nationalist country for Thai people...far rang are just tolerated with no rights....YOU CANNOT OWN JACK S**T IN THAILAND

Adhere to the above...and you should stay safe... enjoy...and not be out of pocket.

Great advice, however i fear it will fal on deaf ears and for some too late,. :)

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear fellow readers;

I do find the whole situation very confusing and fishy ! Well i presume nothing is for sure, this is Asia .!

In reply to one of the comment they i read stating to look in Vietnam as a new open alternative to Thailand , well it must be a jocke ! In Vietnam we cannot even be an overnight guest in one of the family or with our Vietnamese friends. IS ILLEGAL for us to be an overnight guest ! the government defend them self by stating that is not safe for us to do so, ...maybe is becouse we are more safe to sleep in a Zulu' camp of Africa? the real reason is that we must pay the hotels and spend our money so that they can build more hotels !

If you thing to go to Lao's, what for? you cannot even share a room with your girlfriend even if you have the ufficial government engagement paper. Only if you are married you can ! to get maried, myte as well give up, it will take almost 2 years of the long procidings and only after you pay between 2 and 4 thousend dollars , who knows !.If you are lucky you succed, and celebrate but not your wedding , for a near miss cardiac arrest !

Here in Thailand is much easy for us to get married and be with our girfriend .

All over Asia we canot own anything ! I am happy in Thailand i can buy a honda .

I sometime wonder if all over Europe, USA, Australia, they apply the same techique as Asia do regarding property and business to all the immigrant that we have in our country ..... as we cannot own anything but only spend .....

Umm, in the U.S. any legal immigrant has pretty much (sometimes better than) the same rights as a citizen, except to vote. Most western countries are similar when it comes to land ownership.

Who says you can't take your Thai girlfriend to Laos? Marriage isn't a problem then, and it's pretty much the same language.

Well I think that there is a lot of Jealousy .....

A Bargirl can be within a couple of months a millionair , while a family member of a politician has to work and accept bribes there whole live and maybe never will be a millionair.

Bargirl get picked up by Farang , they Marry , most of the time not even on paper ... buy land / houses etc etc.

After a few years they start to selling it and get wealthy ...

The Bargirl have reach a higher status then a daughter of a politician.

En 9 out of 10 the bargirl speaks better English then the daughter of a politician who have a univercity degree.

Lets see what will be the next joke....

The next joke is your English. You obviously aren't a bar girl or have a University Degree.

And why should a politicians daughter have it any better than a bar girl? You think the bar girls have an easy job? Or the politicians daugher?

Can't wait to hear this reply....

Hey johnefallis,

what's the reason for pounding on him like that!? His theory does have have a good point. Upper class Thais do think they are better than the poor in every way, and of course it pisses them off that some foreigner comes over here and makes a poor girl/boy rich, they wish we would get the hel_l out of their country so they are the only ones that are rich in Thailand, they despise foreigners for taking away their prestigious status in the Thai society.

And absolutely right you are, my mistake and apologies, I read this one the wrong way. But hey, I started at page 1 and read every post at least. Some of them really irritate me and I have a broken collarbone and some kind of rash today, so I'm just irritable.

John

Dear fellow readers;

I do find the whole situation very confusing and fishy ! Well i presume nothing is for sure, this is Asia .!

In reply to one of the comment they i read stating to look in Vietnam as a new open alternative to Thailand , well it must be a jocke ! In Vietnam we cannot even be an overnight guest in one of the family or with our Vietnamese friends. IS ILLEGAL for us to be an overnight guest ! the government defend them self by stating that is not safe for us to do so, ...maybe is becouse we are more safe to sleep in a Zulu' camp of Africa? the real reason is that we must pay the hotels and spend our money so that they can build more hotels !

If you thing to go to Lao's, what for? you cannot even share a room with your girlfriend even if you have the ufficial government engagement paper. Only if you are married you can ! to get maried, myte as well give up, it will take almost 2 years of the long procidings and only after you pay between 2 and 4 thousend dollars , who knows !.If you are lucky you succed, and celebrate but not your wedding , for a near miss cardiac arrest !

Here in Thailand is much easy for us to get married and be with our girfriend .

All over Asia we canot own anything ! I am happy in Thailand i can buy a honda .

I sometime wonder if all over Europe, USA, Australia, they apply the same techique as Asia do regarding property and business to all the immigrant that we have in our country ..... as we cannot own anything but only spend .....

I can only speak for back home, USA. If you have a visa for only 1 month legal in the states, we are glad to sell and take your money. Even put your name on the title. You leave the country and guess what. You still own the property and can do as you please.

A Bargirl can be within a couple of months a millionair , while a family member of a politician has to work and accept bribes there whole live and maybe never will be a millionair.

Bargirl get picked up by Farang , they Marry , most of the time not even on paper ... buy land / houses etc etc.

En 9 out of 10 the bargirl speaks better English then the daughter of a politician who have a univercity degree.

The next joke is your English. You obviously aren't a bar girl or have a University Degree.

And why should a politicians daughter have it any better than a bar girl? You think the bar girls have an easy job? Or the politicians daugher?

Can't wait to hear this reply....

Hey johnefallis,

what's the reason for pounding on him like that!? His theory does have have a good point. Upper class Thais do think they are better than the poor in every way, and of course it pisses them off that some foreigner comes over here and makes a poor girl/boy rich, they wish we would get the hel_l out of their country so they are the only ones that are rich in Thailand, they despise foreigners for taking away their prestigious status in the Thai society.

Hi johnefallis - Maybe my English is not that great as yours.

And you are right , I am not a Bargirl or having a Univercity degree.

And I never wrote / mean that a Bargirl has a easy Job .

But is has a Job what we all can do , just rent out 1 of your holes.

But I still think my point is right.

Thailand like to keep a small group rich and the rest have to stay poor.

And the " rich " upper class hate it when a low class girl get rich.

You are absolutely right. I read it wrong. I apologise, just as I did when I got to jbhh's above comment.

Wanna kick me? It's okay, I probably deserve it for that one.

Though I have read almost the entire post and with so many with similar, yet "wrong" opinions (yeah I said it) and negative comments they must have thrown me off. I agree with you 110%

Sorry,

John

It's hardly news the avg foreigner can't own land in Thailand, or that some land offices operate slowly (without tea;) but Land Dept head Mr Anuwat (who was appointed last Oct by the PREVIOUS Govt) is either misquoted, or knits in some controversy for measure (or purpose?).

The statements by Mr Anuwat seem more designed to either raise his profile, or perhaps to put a scare into some 'Farang' developers on Phuket.

-Since Mr Anuwat was appointed by Mr Thaksin's brother-in-law's previous Govt, perhaps he feels he must raise his profile in the new Govt? (will he now regret it?). Also, there's little doubt Foreign-fronted developers have gobbled up much valuable land in Phuket and in cases 'likely' via the Foreign developers wife.

The law does state a Thai spouse of a Foreigner can purchase land with their 'Sin Suan Tua' (their personal property, ie: funds). The controversy then seems to be whether the Thai spouse used their own 'Sin Suan Tua' (or funds). There is no law against loaning or gifting a Thai spouse money but the law states the Thai spouse must purchase with their own funds (thus, the controversial/interpretive bit).

Still, the Foreign spouse is required to sign documents stating the Thai spouse is the owner, the Thai spouse is using their own 'Sin Suan Tua' and the Foreigner agrees to have no claims. Then the land office issues the deed (is the land office then also complicit IF 'suspecting' otherwise retroactively?).

Came across the following via:

www.thaiembassy.se/documents/Land%20Ownership%20for%20Foreign%20Investors.pdf -

Personal ownership:

If a Thai national legally marries a

foreigner, the foreigner still cannot

own land. A legitimate marriage under

the Civil and Commercial Code

Section 1457 is effected only on regis-

tration, except for those who married

before 16 October B.E. 2519 (A.D.

1976), in which cases there were no

marriage certificates.

A standing order of the Ministry

of Interior come into force on 23

March B.E. 2542 (A.D. 1999), allowing

only the Sin Suan Tua (personal

property) of Thai spouses to be used

to purchase land.

Sin Suan Tua consists of property

belonging to either

spouse before marriage; property for

personal use, dress or ornaments suit-

able for one's station in life, or tools

necessary for carrying on the

profession of either spouse; property

acquired by either spouse during mar-

riage through a will or gift; and

Khongman.

Khongman is the property that a

man gives or transfers to a woman as

evidence that the marriage will take

place. The Khongman becomes the

property of the woman after betrothal.

A land official will register any rights

and juristic acts of any applications in

cases where they fall within the fol-

lowing:

1. For a Thai national whose legiti-

mate spouse is foreign, the Thai

and foreign spouse jointly con-

firm in writing that all money

needed to purchase land is mere-

ly the Sin Suan Tua of the Thai

spouse;

2. Similarly, but where the marriage

is not legal, the money that the

Thai person uses to purchase

land must be solely personal

money, income that the spouses

jointly earned cannot be used to

purchase land;

3. A Thai national whose spouse

is foreign in both legal and ille-

gal marriages may apply to

obtain land at the time of the

marriage or cohabitation as

husband and wife, as his or her

Sin Suan Tua;

4. A Thai national who once had a

foreign spouse but who is

divorced or the cohabitation ter-

minated, may enter into a juristic

act to obtain land;

5. A foreigner’s minor whose

nationality is Thai may apply to

enter into a juristic act to acquire

land. Land still belongs to a Thai

national even though he or she mar-

ries a foreigner.

----------------

-Regardless of interpretations, it's extremely unlikely to happen but IF Mr Anuwat wasn't misquoted and still wishes to pursue every Thai married to a Foreigner purchases of every single plot or home, the courts would be swamped and it would make headlines around the world (ie: NOT gonna happen). Also, the land office itself might be called on to explain why it would issue deeds (under suspect circumstance) and then wish to retroactively revoke same (therby implying complcity).

It's extremely unlikely the new Govt either supports or had any prior knowledge of Mr Anuwat's comments. It is also extremely unlikely the new Govt supports revoking title deeds en-masse, period. Perhaps Mr Anuwat may claim a misquote, or, since he was appointed by the previous Govt, he may already be destined for an inactive post by the new Govt anyways... (if so, perhaps just a bit faster now?)

Prediction: There may be attempts to put a few 'over-reaching' Foreign developers on a hot-seat down Phuket way but there will be no wild or wide 'witch-hunt' on married Foreign/Thai mom n pop home or land 'owners' (some in the knee-jerk 'sky is always falling' majority here may will disagree;) :D

One thing remains certain, Thailand needs to address the ongoing knowing fiasco of all 'nominee' issues.

Well, that's if the Govt gets a minute whilst trying to stabilise the economy in between herding hissing Newin's Bhum Jai Ministers and constant demands to change constitutions, exonerate poll fraudsters, pardon ex PM's (- the opposition's and Newin's priorities must come first, as they see it...) :)

Thailand is not the only place to enjoy life as an expat - other places allow you to own property, a have visas that last months or years, and don't have a moral code that sees taking everything you can from foriegners as noble act.

We're not wanted or respected here, why should any farang stay?

I suggested this on another thread where someone was complaining about not being able to own land and was met with derision.

The vast majority of foreigners that have moved here expect Thailand to bend to their wants and wishes, instead of bending themselves and going elsewhere where they can get the things they want; longer visas with less hassle and able to own land legally to name but two.

You're absolutely right, the whole economy is based on that. Unless a dramatic change in the government, foreigners will never be allowed to own anything in Thailand.

Close, but it is the biggest landowner in the Kingdom that is in turn the biggest stumbling block to foreigners owning land.

It's how they make their money for the most part.

I think he's talking out of his arse. Typical non-sensicle statement that you can always count on a high-level Thai civil servant to make on most occasions. I agree, it should do wonders to help slag-off all the million dollar "villas" for sale to silly foreigners who were thinking about buying in Phuket.

With unintellegent fools like this in high office, its no wonder that Thailand is slowly going downhill. And although its only my guess, i bet that he is of Chinese decent ?????

Isn't every asian native of chinese descent?!!

There is a lot of speculation going on here!

I will try to clarify the situation how I understand is applicable today, backed by statements made by Issaanlawyers, along with my own experience.

The only way the wife of a foreign husband could be considered a nominee holding land on behalf of said husband, is if, when she registered the land, she was still holding her maiden name (legally possible), and neglected to inform the officials at Land and House that she was married to a foreigner.

In this case there will also be a lack of the document the foreign husband should sign stating that the land bought by his wife was bought with her money.

Which would be this form, courtesy of Issaan lawyers:

letter%20of%20confirmation.jpg

Only in this case the Thai official would have a case to nullify the registration.

So practically most couples would be OK, maybe apart from couples who bought land before the the possibility was there to sign the "letter of confirmation" as per above. Although this would have been clear negligence as back then the wife HAD to take on the family name of her foreign husband, and if she used up to date ID card / house papers, she would simply have been unable to register the land.

Such couples would however be able to rectify this I would think.

Even with this paper signed, which would make the land (but NOT necessarily the house sitting on it) not being included in the Sin Somros (common property acquired during the marriage), the foreign husband would still be entitled to 50% of the house sitting on that land when he would divorce his wife.

There are plenty precedents where ex-wife has been ordered to compensate the ex-husband to the tune of said 50% after a divorce.

In short the paper the husband signs ONLY relinquishes right to the land!

It will matter not as loan when translated into thai is gift, so, the wife is the rightful owner, no problem, next !

After we were married my father in law gave 1.75 acres in Phuket to my wife and I..of course I don't consider it my property at all,but its a great piece of land on a hill with lots of ocean breeze.

You have a very good attitude. Those farangs living in Thailand who foolishly purchased real estate in their wives or girlfriend's/boyfriend's names stand the chance of losing everything. I see posts all the time of farangs proclaiming to "own" property in Thailand. They don't own anything. They are dreamers.

...with regards to cleverly circumventing long standing Thai laws..I sincerely hope it works out for all..but it was always crystal clear to me that farang can own 49% of a condo development,not raw land,period,end of story..enjoy LOS,but like all things,you can't take it with you..they don't sew pockets on the viewing gown.

I have a Brother-in-Law that bought his Thai wife of 10 years a house. He has been shipped back and forth between China, Thailand, and Vietnam by his job. A while back while he was out of the country his wife got a boyfriend and he is out. Wonder if he can report that he bought her the house and get her kicked out. Revenge!! :)

I just went through this with my Thai wife. She has my last name....

It was required for me to sign a document for each Chanote that the money used was her money independant of my money. (We had 4 pieces of property).

If she has never changed her name, and but is in fact married, the transfer is illegal by the rules. If she is married and says she is married, but still uses her Thai last name, the assumption is she is married to a Thai, and may not be asked for this document from her husband.

I know many Thai, that do not declare there married status. However, they can find problems if they have relitives that care to stir things up.

The one advantage to declaring a marrriage to a farang, if something should happen title will pass to the farang, but he must sell within 6 months.

If she says she is single, dies, then titile passes to all the Thai relitives, not to the unknown spouce.

My wife and I married in the U.S. She has never changed her name and is an American citizen. All legal paperwork is in her Thai family name. She has purchased land since our marriage. Before we married she owned land deeded after her father's death. Is she holding land in an illegal manner because of her not changing her last name at marriage? Can she legally transfer some of her land to our daughter who is an American citizen and also a Thai citizen ?

10 pages and counting of much richeous indignation and outrage about 'inequality' (appealing to equity demands your hands are clean)

is this purely selfless support for Thai women's rights to spend foreign gift money as they please or perhaps really some are a little worried about their 'non-nominee' nominee girlfriend / wives?

if any are worried by this report about losing whatever measure of control or interest they (thought they) had in Thai land through girlfriends or wives then they are already falling foul of the law, so stop moaning

if any are instead worried about Thai wives or girlfriends losing land they essentially received as a gift (as the report suggests) don't be, even if he meant what he is quoted as saying its unlikely to mean anything in reality anyway

Edited by thaiwanderer

I read a few posts and dedicated my mind to figuring out the reason for this apparently absurd law. After all when making laws whether or not they can be enforced is usually one of the first criterion, and this law is clearly unenforcible. This is not a land grab as some suggest. So here is the answer: Everything in Thailand is about money with the exception that saving face also counts a bit. There are no values beyond that. We are here to give them money and their interest is the only interest that counts. Every Thai knows that. We are just fat farang atm machines. (period). So given that they don't want any hassle with foreigners claiming some legal right to the land they buy for their Thai women. If say a Thai women cheats on her husband NO Thai wants him getting back his land! But rather than admit that and lose face they say you can't buy the land knowing you still can and will. In addition I suspect this culture is feeling a bit under threat from foreigners. It is closing a bit. This is an ancient culture. We are looking in the past a very far distance when we observe its characteristics.

Rather than just bang on about it I am going to write to my local MEP's (Member European Parliment) and ask them why do the same rules/laws for land ownership not apply as in the foreign country. Laws for Thais in the EC the same as rules for foreigners in Thailand.

Even playing field and all that.

Why should they ?

See above.

It's hardly news the avg foreigner can't own land in Thailand, or that some land offices operate slowly (without tea;) but Land Dept head Mr Anuwat (who was appointed last Oct by the PREVIOUS Govt) is either misquoted, or knits in some controversy for measure (or purpose?).

The statements by Mr Anuwat seem more designed to either raise his profile, or perhaps to put a scare into some 'Farang' developers on Phuket.

-Since Mr Anuwat was appointed by Mr Thaksin's brother-in-law's previous Govt, perhaps he feels he must raise his profile in the new Govt? (will he now regret it?). Also, there's little doubt Foreign-fronted developers have gobbled up much valuable land in Phuket and in cases 'likely' via the Foreign developers wife.

The law does state a Thai spouse of a Foreigner can purchase land with their 'Sin Suan Tua' (their personal property, ie: funds). The controversy then seems to be whether the Thai spouse used their own 'Sin Suan Tua' (or funds). There is no law against loaning or gifting a Thai spouse money but the law states the Thai spouse must purchase with their own funds (thus, the controversial/interpretive bit).

Still, the Foreign spouse is required to sign documents stating the Thai spouse is the owner, the Thai spouse is using their own 'Sin Suan Tua' and the Foreigner agrees to have no claims. Then the land office issues the deed (is the land office then also complicit IF 'suspecting' otherwise retroactively?).

Came across the following via:

www.thaiembassy.se/documents/Land%20Ownership%20for%20Foreign%20Investors.pdf -

Personal ownership:

If a Thai national legally marries a

foreigner, the foreigner still cannot

own land. A legitimate marriage under

the Civil and Commercial Code

Section 1457 is effected only on regis-

tration, except for those who married

before 16 October B.E. 2519 (A.D.

1976), in which cases there were no

marriage certificates.

A standing order of the Ministry

of Interior come into force on 23

March B.E. 2542 (A.D. 1999), allowing

only the Sin Suan Tua (personal

property) of Thai spouses to be used

to purchase land.

Sin Suan Tua consists of property

belonging to either

spouse before marriage; property for

personal use, dress or ornaments suit-

able for one's station in life, or tools

necessary for carrying on the

profession of either spouse; property

acquired by either spouse during mar-

riage through a will or gift; and

Khongman.

Khongman is the property that a

man gives or transfers to a woman as

evidence that the marriage will take

place. The Khongman becomes the

property of the woman after betrothal.

A land official will register any rights

and juristic acts of any applications in

cases where they fall within the fol-

lowing:

1. For a Thai national whose legiti-

mate spouse is foreign, the Thai

and foreign spouse jointly con-

firm in writing that all money

needed to purchase land is mere-

ly the Sin Suan Tua of the Thai

spouse;

2. Similarly, but where the marriage

is not legal, the money that the

Thai person uses to purchase

land must be solely personal

money, income that the spouses

jointly earned cannot be used to

purchase land;

3. A Thai national whose spouse

is foreign in both legal and ille-

gal marriages may apply to

obtain land at the time of the

marriage or cohabitation as

husband and wife, as his or her

Sin Suan Tua;

4. A Thai national who once had a

foreign spouse but who is

divorced or the cohabitation ter-

minated, may enter into a juristic

act to obtain land;

5. A foreigner's minor whose

nationality is Thai may apply to

enter into a juristic act to acquire

land. Land still belongs to a Thai

national even though he or she mar-

ries a foreigner.

----------------

-Regardless of interpretations, it's extremely unlikely to happen but IF Mr Anuwat wasn't misquoted and still wishes to pursue every Thai married to a Foreigner purchases of every single plot or home, the courts would be swamped and it would make headlines around the world (ie: NOT gonna happen). Also, the land office itself might be called on to explain why it would issue deeds (under suspect circumstance) and then wish to retroactively revoke same (therby implying complcity).

It's extremely unlikely the new Govt either supports or had any prior knowledge of Mr Anuwat's comments. It is also extremely unlikely the new Govt supports revoking title deeds en-masse, period. Perhaps Mr Anuwat may claim a misquote, or, since he was appointed by the previous Govt, he may already be destined for an inactive post by the new Govt anyways... (if so, perhaps just a bit faster now?)

Prediction: There may be attempts to put a few 'over-reaching' Foreign developers on a hot-seat down Phuket way but there will be no wild or wide 'witch-hunt' on married Foreign/Thai mom n pop home or land 'owners' (some in the knee-jerk 'sky is always falling' majority here may will disagree;) :D

One thing remains certain, Thailand needs to address the ongoing knowing fiasco of all 'nominee' issues.

Well, that's if the Govt gets a minute whilst trying to stabilise the economy in between herding hissing Newin's Bhum Jai Ministers and constant demands to change constitutions, exonerate poll fraudsters, pardon ex PM's (- the opposition's and Newin's priorities must come first, as they see it...) :)

Bravo

Most of you xxxx (farangs) who are married to Thais have been warned countless times not to try and go around the legal system set up for buying land in Thailand. Don't you get it? They try and try to tell or warn you that foreigners are not allowed to own Thai land. Still, most are not listening. They want to have a house with a plot of land just like back in their own country. Well fools (the ones who bought land this way), the Thai government doesn't want you to own land here...how many times and ways do they have to say it?

Most of you <deleted> (farangs) who are married to Thais have been warned countless times not to try and go around the legal system set up for buying land in Thailand. Don't you get it? They try and try to tell or warn you that foreigners are not allowed to own Thai land. Still, most are not listening. They want to have a house with a plot of land just like back in their own country. Well fools (the ones who bought land this way), the Thai government doesn't want you to own land here...how many times and ways do they have to say it?

Of all the thousands of farangs who have either bought houses through companies or have financed their wives to buy houses in their name, can you name a single case where the "asshol_e" has been dispossessed of his house by the Thai authorities?

A large number of these "<deleted>" have been living happily in their houses for many years, and I have no doubt that a majority will continue to enjoy uninterrupted possession for many, many years to come.

I can see no reason to use such language in a thread discussing a legal question that has arisen due to some trumped up politico shooting his mouth off.

I just wonder who the asshol_e is here? :)

Lol, this guy, what's his name ..Anuwat. Why are many posters so worried?

The guy is a plain and simple nutbag civil servant trying to come up with a clever comment to justify his overpaid and underworked existence.

He's havin a laugh this geezer. :)

1) Fact: Under Taksins Gov. they changed the Law in 2003 (if I remember rightly April) that allowed a Thai wife with farang husband to legally (in her own name) purchase a house with land. Why do I know? I checked before we were about to buy a house in 2005 with me as the guarantor of the mortgage (with a doc. for me to sign, which the Land office also looked at) and even my friendly bank said we had to be legally married. "No marry, No house" was the general response", so I got married.

So, Taksin Knew and changed the law in favour of .... The bank knows and has documnets thereto ....and the Land office also knows by perusing and copying documents. The only person that doesn't seem to understand is Lowlife nutbag idiot Annuwatty ....my advice mate ..go back and crawl under a rock for a year then make another BS comment.

So don't worry and relax, TIT afterall.

'Jone naay khruang beep' = Thieves in uniforms or more precisely: bandits. AKA civil servants.

Wouldn't it be correct to say that without prenuptial the wife is anyway entitled to 50% of husband money and vice versa

No. Or should I respond, "no! thank god!"

pre nupitals are not worth the paper they are written on..many many Thai woman are not on the take to extract farang money ASAP. If you marry a bar girl your chances of her being on the take go up, not down,duhhhh

..its not the bar girls that are the problem..its the farang who perpetuates the industry, falls in love the first night with sexy bar girl,thinks with little head,marries her quickly,there is a breakup, farang upset so he slags all Thai women

You'll note the use of the term "nominee" in this article. A nominee is not the real owner, just a temporary holder. This is not the case with most wives.

Loaning or giving your wife money to purchase property is COMPLETELY LEGAL in Thailand according to every major law firm here. Worry not I think.

your comment makes complete sense. Thank you

Simple solution to all this.

Go Thailand...enjoy, have holiday and fun.

Rent your abode...do not try to buy.

Do not marry a Thai woman...it's a big sweet shop out there.

and remember 3 things...

Thailand is a Nationalist country for Thai people...far rang are just tolerated with no rights....YOU CANNOT OWN JACK S**T IN THAILAND

Adhere to the above...and you should stay safe... enjoy...and not be out of pocket.

Great advice, however i fear it will fal on deaf ears and for some too late,. :)

..someone tell me why one should NEVER marry a Thai woman..lets hear your slippery slope argument mensa man..

i bet that he is of Chinese decent ?????

Forgive my ignorance, as I am not Chinese, but what does being Chinese have to do with it? Are you trying to indicate that being chinese is somehow bad?

Of course it is not bad...the fact is a whole lot of rich,well off Thais are part Chinese from their descendants.

Maybe unenforceable (or no one will bother) but this is another example of the steady escalation of anti-farang laws. From the 15 day visa change to this, it becoming obvious that chasing away farang has become an official policy. With the economic downturn that is only just starting to hit home there will be more of this in the near future. I and others have also noticed an increased hostility to farang in day to day life over the last few months.

Good advice to anyone- if you have not tied yourself down here with wife/kids or investment- get out as soon as possible. The writing is on the wall - a society that rarely (if ever) can blame itself for causing any of its own problems, an increase in laws to inconvience foreigners, a major economic downturn and a culture based heavily on seeing fareng as less than Thai in every way

If the worst thing that happens to farang is that the just lose all their land property, I will actually be relieved. We've already seen several mysterious farang businessmen deaths.

As hard times hit home- who will be the scapegoat? You think any new Prime Minister or royalty that take charge will blame Thais or the government fo their own plight?

Thailand is not the only place to enjoy life as an expat - other places allow you to own property, a have visas that last months or years, and don't have a moral code that sees taking everything you can from foriegners as noble act.

We're not wanted or respected here, why should any farang stay?

I know of a few such countries. However, I prefer that all you stay in Thailand so as not to "ruin" these other cuntries in such a way as LOS has been ruined by all the "western" influence and sepsis (as my Brittish pals call it). Phuket is a joke. Brain dead falangs with too much money and not enough intelligence purchase severly over-priced housing. The Thai real estate dealers, etc. are the ones laughing all the way to the bank and they should be the ones earning the profit from land development... not the falangs. It is Thailand and it is their country. If you do not like the rules, you should leave! Would you want foreigners (such as Chinese, Saudis, or Nigerians) moving to your home country and trying to change the laws in your country to their liking and driving up property values so that the locals are priced out of the market? I have had conversations with many Thais that depise the fact that falangs are allowed to purchase properties... even condos. They see island and coastal ecosystems (such as Phuket, Koh Samui, etc.) being ruined by expensive housing developments and then Thais themselves cannot afford to live in the areas any longer as property values appreciate past their buying power, etc. Once beautiful and peaceful island areas now look and feel like Honolulu. Very sad. I have heard from my Thai friends that non-condo properties have been purchased outright by falang couples...both the man and woman are falangs from European countries. My Thai friends personally know these people (falangs) and wonder how this is possible since falangs not married to a Thai are not legally allowed to own houses. They have never asked the falangs how they were allowed to purchase the property because they do not want to be "rude". I have seen LOS ruined by greedy and disrespectful falang t-bags, so I will side with the Thais on this issue. You don't like it in LOS... leave. BTW.. I will not disclose the other countries that I enjoy more than LOS because I do not want a bunch of falangs to move there and try to change their culture, laws, rules, and destroy their land to make a profit via real estate developement and "ruin" these countries they way LOS has been "ruined".

With all this being said, I side with the falang that gets married because he wants to and then would like to own property/ a home for his family. However, the falang that gets married SO he can own property or wants to come to LOS to make a profit in real estate, housing developments, etc. should not be allowed to do so. I do not understand why many of the posters here do not understand why many Thais do not like falangs anymore. Do you ever talk deeply to the Thais you befriend in order to get their true views on subjects? The falang invasion of Pattaya, Phuket, etc. has, in their view, ruined these areas and I agree with them. I support the average person who just wants to have some property and a peaceful life with thier Thai spouse... but all you other greedy t-bags that come here to make a profit via real estate should be sent back home. LOS has become far too westernized for me now. It is too much like many western countries. The western sepsis has changed the country. Maybe that is why many Thais want to take their country and culture back for themselves. More power to them.

Eh... wasn't there a campaign by the Th government a few years ago where they propagated that Thai spouses married to Falangs could now buy and own land, be it from her own money.... but preferably from money "donated" to her by her Falang husband... whom to make it really interesting for the govt. had to bring that money from abroad.

How does that fit in the current picture now, I'm rather confused....

Or is this the habitual way of doing things in this country, get as many idiots pouring funds into the country, and then revoke their "rights", not that they have any on the "donated" money, but anyway.

yes in fact the law was implimented on march 26 2003, I was there! hehehe at the bank anyway, when I was about to buy land. to do so in thailand is very foolish.

did not buy and never will

the laws are one sided and biased

when push comes to shove the thai wins by LAW

you can say Oh my lawyer says or BOI says

just wait till you are in court then you will know just how stuff works here

every thing is fine untill there is a dispute or a small problem

no farang has ever won any land dispute in court unless the BOI is in possession of the 500mil deposit

I know of a few such countries. However, I prefer that all you stay in Thailand so as not to "ruin" these other cuntries in such a way as LOS has been ruined by all the "western" influence and sepsis (as my Brittish pals call it). Phuket is a joke. Brain dead falangs with too much money and not enough intelligence purchase severly over-priced housing. The Thai real estate dealers, etc. are the ones laughing all the way to the bank and they should be the ones earning the profit from land development... not the falangs. It is Thailand and it is their country. If you do not like the rules, you should leave! Would you want foreigners (such as Chinese, Saudis, or Nigerians) moving to your home country and trying to change the laws in your country to their liking and driving up property values so that the locals are priced out of the market? I have had conversations with many Thais that depise the fact that falangs are allowed to purchase properties... even condos. They see island and coastal ecosystems (such as Phuket, Koh Samui, etc.) being ruined by expensive housing developments and then Thais themselves cannot afford to live in the areas any longer as property values appreciate past their buying power, etc. Once beautiful and peaceful island areas now look and feel like Honolulu. Very sad. I have heard from my Thai friends that non-condo properties have been purchased outright by falang couples...both the man and woman are falangs from European countries. My Thai friends personally know these people (falangs) and wonder how this is possible since falangs not married to a Thai are not legally allowed to own houses. They have never asked the falangs how they were allowed to purchase the property because they do not want to be "rude". I have seen LOS ruined by greedy and disrespectful falang t-bags, so I will side with the Thais on this issue. You don't like it in LOS... leave. BTW.. I will not disclose the other countries that I enjoy more than LOS because I do not want a bunch of falangs to move there and try to change their culture, laws, rules, and destroy their land to make a profit via real estate developement and "ruin" these countries they way LOS has been "ruined".

With all this being said, I side with the falang that gets married because he wants to and then would like to own property/ a home for his family. However, the falang that gets married SO he can own property or wants to come to LOS to make a profit in real estate, housing developments, etc. should not be allowed to do so. I do not understand why many of the posters here do not understand why many Thais do not like falangs anymore. Do you ever talk deeply to the Thais you befriend in order to get their true views on subjects? The falang invasion of Pattaya, Phuket, etc. has, in their view, ruined these areas and I agree with them. I support the average person who just wants to have some property and a peaceful life with thier Thai spouse... but all you other greedy t-bags that come here to make a profit via real estate should be sent back home. LOS has become far too westernized for me now. It is too much like many western countries. The western sepsis has changed the country. Maybe that is why many Thais want to take their country and culture back for themselves. More power to them.

Co-signed