Satelite Options?

darrendsd

As ubc in thier wisdom has decided to cut bbc entertainment from thier schedules does anyone know of any alternatives?

I'm after a service that will provide pretty much the same as ubc [football, films. bbc etc]

anyone know of any shops in hua hin that can provide a decent alternative to ubc at a reasonable price?

As ubc in thier wisdom has decided to cut bbc entertainment from thier schedules does anyone know of any alternatives?

I'm after a service that will provide pretty much the same as ubc [football, films. bbc etc]

anyone know of any shops in hua hin that can provide a decent alternative to ubc at a reasonable price?

Visit http://www.jsat.tv/, which is what most pubs here use. You can watch foreign satellite TV (especially South African, good for sport) for MUCH less than UBC. You do need a LARGE sat dish but that's about the biggest outlay. It has BBC World & Entertainment, though the schedule is SA time. Based in Bangkok so you might have to wait a bit to get them to call & set you up. I've been using it for years now & would have died from rugby deprivation without it! :)

Otherwise, try HH cable, which many people like & doesn't need a big dish.

Visit http://www.jsat.tv/, which is what most pubs here use. You can watch foreign satellite TV (especially South African, good for sport) for MUCH less than UBC. You do need a LARGE sat dish but that's about the biggest outlay. It has BBC World & Entertainment, though the schedule is SA time. Based in Bangkok so you might have to wait a bit to get them to call & set you up. I've been using it for years now & would have died from rugby deprivation without it! :)

I still get BBC Entertainment on my TrueVisions (UBC) package. I have the Platinum package and it is channel 38... just checked and it's still there...

I still get BBC Entertainment on my TrueVisions (UBC) package. I have the Platinum package and it is channel 38... just checked and it's still there...

Cheers for the advice troppie i may check them out.

hhfarang, bbc entertainment will be taken off at the end of this month, they have been running a banner across the screen for the last few weeks in thai and english stating this.

• 4 months later...

We had a chap from HH come and fit a dish (1.8m) and system for the DSTV satellite system back in June after the UBC announcement. Very pleased with it and for a 'single system' it cost 400B per month to run and you can also cancel it when you go away and have it switched back on when you come back. UBC eat your heart out!

We had a chap from HH come and fit a dish (1.8m) and system for the DSTV satellite system back in June after the UBC announcement. Very pleased with it and for a 'single system' it cost 400B per month to run and you can also cancel it when you go away and have it switched back on when you come back. UBC eat your heart out!

Thanks for the info, just a quick question is it possible to have access in different rooms in the house, watching different channels in each room? Cheers MT

Thanks for the info, just a quick question is it possible to have access in different rooms in the house, watching different channels in each room? Cheers MT

Yes, is the answer. We have had two seperate 'dreamboxes' fitted and fed from the same dish(s)/amplifier.

The system uses the 'old UBC dish' and the new 1.85metre dish as a combined pair.

We have one 'box' that supplies the master bedroom and the other supplies two rooms - the lounge and entertainment room.

The cost for the fitting of two systems was about 20,000B and 600b per month ( 400 B per month for one system).

My better half worked out that even with the cost of installation, we would still be saving some 1000B over the first year and then the difference between 2160-600=1560B per month from thereon. So really it's a 'no-brainer' as far as we are concerned. The ONLY problem, is that if the internet locks up then so does the TV, as it relies on receiving a 'decryption code' every 15 or so seconds via the internet ( your computer does NOT have to be on for it to work) . We still believe that this is the best option available to us at the moment.

The guy that installed it from HH has been very good if we have had a problem and we would be happy to recommend him to you and other people.

Hope that this is some help to you.

for those of us who are new in town any details about contacting HH?

If you mean Hua Hin Cable, their number is 032 530217 or 032 530218

thanks hhfarang, do you know if you get all the premier leage matches etc.

If you mean Hua Hin Cable, their number is 032 530217 or 032 530218

thanks hhfarang, do you know if you get all the premier leage matches etc.

Sorry, don't know. I only get cable for the "other" rooms in my house and it is mainly used by Thai language persons and for me to watch news while I exercise. I also have TrueVisions satellite to my main TV and that's what I watch sports on. I've also never been able to get a schedule for the cable so you have to just turn it on and surf to see if there is anything you want to watch.

You won't get subscription services (eg. soccer) on Hua Hin cable tv.

The channels they distribute on their cable network are all essentially free-to-air

such as CNN, BBC world news, Bloomberg, normal Thai TV terrestial channels 1,3,5,7,9,11 etc

and some Australian news channels and a few Thai movie channels.

Anything else you'll need a UBC satellite dish for or your own satellite dish system set-up with a much bigger dish size than the UBC.

• 2 weeks later...

The only sports channels on the Hua Hin cable TV is Eurosport, Eurosport news and Golf Channel (although this one has either been removed recently or changed frequency).

Other English channels are: BBC World/France 24 (they share channel), Fox News, Universal (series), Sci-fi, Bloomberg. That's about it, then there are a gazillion Thai channels and some other Asian channels (CNN is not included like it was mentioned above). I would not recommend getting cable TV if you are not either on a really tight budget or can understand Thai.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Ok, So what are the options to get Premieur Leagus football? I know True Visions have the option Gold package about 1500 baht month, Platinum 2000 baht. Does the Dstv South Africa install give you the football as this is my main requirement?

The DSTV has got football coming out of its ears. I must confess that I dont watch football but there is plenty on the DSTV along with rugby, tennis, golf , skiing. You name it sportwise and they have got it in spades. The South Africans are Sports MAD!

The cost of a single system is 400Baht per month or 600 if you have two 'Dream boxes' as we have. We had the platinum package from UBC before and gave it the heave when they got rid of BBC. That was costing some 2000B per month so we reckon that even with the installation costs we will be in pocket within one year plus the added bonus of lots of TV that we want to watch. Ironically you still get all the UBC chnls included in your 400B per month, so its a no brainer as far as we are concerned.

From where in Hua Hin can one buy the DSTV system?

If you would like to PM me I will send you the details. Don't think that I am allowed to advertise on here!

Cheshiremusicman,

I think it is ok to post information for all members to read as long as you are not involved in the business personally (i.e., you are only posting a personal recommendation or information for someone elses business) and do not post a link to another site.

Here is the forum rule on that:

"Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums . Not to flood, post commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations."

• 2 weeks later...
Go see the guys in the index store, they are doing the dreambox thing. Not yet decided on this as would hate to be in the middle of something and the internet goes down!

Anyone have any experience in getting a satellite/cable service in Hua Hin that carries Australia TV - I know about JSAT in BKK, but am hoping there's someone local. We're moving into The Breze past Takiab.

Go see the guys in the index store, they are doing the dreambox thing. Not yet decided on this as would hate to be in the middle of something and the internet goes down!

Anyone have any experience in getting a satellite/cable service in Hua Hin that carries Australia TV - I know about JSAT in BKK, but am hoping there's someone local. We're moving into The Breze past Takiab.

The DSTV service we have in our Khon Kaen house has Australia TV so I assume that channel must be available here in Hua Hin too if you get that service.

We get an Australian channel on our Hua Hin Cable TV. I don't know if it's the one you're talking about or not but it seems to have some news, sports and entertainment programming.