Abhisit Vows To Be Role Model 'honest Husband'

george

Abhisit vows to be role model 'honest husband'

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva won applause yesterday from people with HIV after he volunteered to be a presenter - as an "honest husband" who loves only his wife - for a campaign to reduce HIV and Aids among housewives.

"The number of HIV/Aids infections among housewives has increased as drastically as other groups. Housewives would not be at risk of getting HIV if their husbands had been totally honest with them. And I am ready to be a presenter for this issue," he said in a speech yesterday at the 12th National Aids Conference at Impact Muang Thong Thani Exhibition Centre.

More than 33 million people around the world have said to be living with HIV/Aids at present, including about half a million Thais.

The government says the number of new cases among housewives and youths has risen significantly in recent years, while the incidence among sex workers has been reduced thanks to effective action campaigns.

However, the government plans to change its strategy to try to slash the number of new cases each year from about 15,000 a year to 7,500 cases by the year 2011.

"This is our top goal," the PM said. He asked for state agencies to join hands to counter the spread of HIV, particularly among youths.

The problem of sexual affairs was complicated and made worse, he said, by changes in society such as the development of technology that made communication easier and allowed teenagers to have affairs while they were young.

The average age of children who began to have sex with partners was now 17 years old.

"The use of condoms to prevent HIV infection is the challenge youth groups need to be aware of," he said.

The incidence of HIV among gay men, conscripts and drug users had also increased.

Abhisit said the government would help people living with HIV who registered with the Social Security Fund to get anti-retroviral drugs if they couldn't access such treatment.

However, anti-retroviral drugs were now available at hospitals across the country for people with HIV under the universal health scheme and civil servants medical benefits scheme.

Over 120,000 patients could access this treatment and the government planned to extend it to cover more people.

He also stressed his concern about respecting basic human rights of people with HIV.

Abhisit said he had read news reports about a child with HIV in Yasothon, who was forced to leave school because parents feared their children might also get HIV.

Abhisit said this was discrimination and violated the constitution, especially the principle of human dignity and human rights.

"We have to look out for this to prevent people living with HIV from such discrimination."

Rattana Noita, a representative of 18 HIV/Aids groups in Thailand, said the government had failed to prevent new infections as various groups, such as migrant workers, youths, women, elderly people, injecting drug users, and sexual diverse people had not been seriously protected.

She also said most teachers lacked a deep understanding about sexual education as they had negative attitudes about people living with HIV.

"We have not seen any clear policy from the government over this issue, not only the policy on sexual education in school, but also blood tests for young children aged under 18, as they face discrimination and cannot access to health services," she said.

"Prime minister, you have to stand in the front row to show the general public that Aids prevention starts with self-prevention. And you also have to show us you are ready to create a society in which people help each other to prevent, care for and cure Aids," she said.

"Prime minister, whether you believe it or not, we can live together [if one has HIV]. I wish you good sexual health and consciousness to prevent yourself from having sexual affairs. We want you to be safe, as all of us also want safety and sexual happiness."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-05-28

If this is news, anything is news.

this is not news, its a joke....

it is common knowledge most high powered thais have a few girls on the go and visit the old massage palour

now, is there a reward for catching him out?

So cynical. Let us instead applaud the PM for taking a clear stand

"Untruthful, my nephew Algernon? Impossible, he is an Oxonian!

-The Importance of being Earnest by Oscar Wilde-(the secret sodomite)

(Can we close this topic now, it's had 3 posts :) )

As an aside is it at all possible that a percentage of those married woman who contracted HIV got it from someone other than their husbands? It's a game of two halves as they say.... :D

now, is there a reward for catching him out?

That's what occurred to me. If only Thailand had an active and organized Paparazzi, there'd be a cameraman on the back door of every knocking shop within a thousand klix of Government House.

As an aside is it at all possible that a percentage of those married woman who contracted HIV got it from someone other than their husbands? It's a game of two halves as they say.... :)

When I read the article in the BP, I must admit that an image of the day-shift at the Biergarden did spring to mind.

Edited by phaethon

...but we digress, for....this is about Thaksin

Thaksin Shinawatra was a very pro-sex tantric sort of chap.

Next step, Abhisit closes down our night life. Miserable puritan.

Abhisit is not 'Un dieu dans le lit'....he wears paisley jimjams and talks about the Constitution in bed.

but you only have to look at Thaksin to know he loves boudoir action.He'd give you a 'lick up the legs' .....

Edited by Journalist

...but we digress, for....this is about Thaksin

Thaksin Shinawatra was a very pro-sex tantric sort of chap.

Next step, Abhisit closes down our night life. Miserable puritan.

Abhisit is not 'Un dieu dans le lit'....he wears paisley jimjams and talks about the Constitution in bed.

but you only have to look at Thaksin to know he loves boudoir action.He'd give you a 'lick up the legs' .....

-"...but we digress, for....this is about Thaksin"

Evidently 'we' don't but some do?

-"Thaksin Shinawatra was a very pro-sex tantric sort of chap."

Er, so you have carnal knowledge of this? (brrrr;)

-"Next step, Abhisit closes down our night life. Miserable puritan."

Actually, it was Mr Thaksin's Cabinet who imposed night-life zones and early closings (as you clearly must know?).

-"Abhisit is not 'Un dieu dans le lit'....he wears paisley jimjams and talks about the Constitution in bed"

It seems the only one's talking up constitution change are Mr Thaksin's 'employees' (under instruction/compensation?) and Newin's opportunistic trojan horse coalition.

-"but you only have to look at Thaksin to know he loves boudoir action.He'd give you a 'lick up the legs' ....."

More like a reciprocal lick up his leg if YOU are reciprocal (blecchh, gag, vomit and begin again?:D:)

Good luck/chok dee with that whole thing, must be like shootin fish in a barell here.

Cheers!

Edited by baht&sold

Actually I can respect the PM for this comment. Of course one can issue new laws and regulations etc, but nothing better than trying to be a role-model yourself. Make the world a better place, starting with yourself? Look at the King, he's trying to be a role-model and gains a lot of respect for that world-wide. Nope, nothing wrong for me with Abhisits comment! Now lets hope more government officials will follow his example in being more honest, eventually, this will change the common men (and women) as well.

So cynical. Let us instead applaud the PM for taking a clear stand

As an aside is it at all possible that a percentage of those married woman who contracted HIV got it from someone other than their husbands? It's a game of two halves as they say.... :)

This was found out to be the case in much of Africa in a recent study. I believe the article was in the Economist but I can't remember. They did a study of marriages in which only one of the spouses was HIV positive.

They were surprised by the higher than expected percentage of marriages in which only the woman were HIV positive because it went against the cliche belief that it was almost always the husband bringing HIV into the marriage. It wouldn't surprise me if something similar was going on in Thailand.

Actually I can respect the PM for this comment. Of course one can issue new laws and regulations etc, but nothing better than trying to be a role-model yourself. Make the world a better place, starting with yourself? Look at the King, he's trying to be a role-model and gains a lot of respect for that world-wide. Nope, nothing wrong for me with Abhisits comment! Now lets hope more government officials will follow his example in being more honest, eventually, this will change the common men (and women) as well.

Yes, but unfortunately people in senior positions don't always tell the truth.

They employ an army of spin doctors to keep the media 'on message', and wine and dine reporters to generate the message that they want the punters to eat up.

If readers feel sceptical, they are quite right to do so. A hel_l of a lot of 'news' is mass-manipulated in this way.

The king is a monarch and declared in Thailand to be above politics. Unfortunately Khun Abhisit is most definitely in politics, so the cards are stacked against him, poor fellow.

I dont't think there's any les-majeste in that, is there mods? Cant be too careful these days ....