Marcos

daoyai

obnoxiously loud Frenchman

Isn't it a tautology?

Is this the standard by which you judge that some Americans are soft-spoken?

I once said that I had lunch (at The Duke's) with a respectful and soft-spoken American. Did he reproduce madly in the meantime?

Just the three of us - or better halves as well?

D

I'll come with my gf and son (not the obnoxious kind). No way for me to have dinner at a FRENCH restaurant and leave them behind, out in the boonies. They wouldn't forgive me.

I suggest that from now on we communicate by PM. We're already hijacking the thread.

Edited by MonsieurHulot

Just the three of us - or better halves as well?

D

In my case, just me.

But then, I have sometimes been accused of regarding myself as my own better half. That aside, I am the only half that enjoys conversing in English.

I suggest that from now on we communicate by PM. We're already hijacking the thread.

Agreed. I did not have the benefit of your post when I fired off my last one.

is all this about a din din date to go to Chez Marcos?? or is this code for something more sinester??

• 2 weeks later...
A din din date. :)

Chez Marco, a mixed review.

We were 6 and we arrived at 7. The weather was fine. Since it was on a Saturday, the place was fairly busy.

I had the tartar cheese with smoked salmon (can’t remember the exact name). The small portion looked pretty lonely on that big plate. I believe this “entrée” would taste much better if it was prepared with toasted bread.

My gf and my son had the cold cuts (dried sausage, + dried ham + tasteless pâté).

Two of the guests had the tuna Carpaccio. It is delicious and the amount of tuna is generous.

Next I had the Coq au Vin and it was quite a disappointment. I didn’t get rooster (coq) but chicken (vade retro! On a more serious note, I presume that roosters are not widely available) and, here lies the main flaw, the sauce had been added at the last moment (the meat should be cooked at low temperature covered with wine – up to 6 hours if, according to the original recipe, you use an old rooster (remember that it’s peasant food).

My gf has the Tournedos (pork medallions) with mash potatoes, she didn’t like it but since she doesn’t have a clue about French cuisine, it doesn’t mean much. I haven’t tried it so I can’t comment. My son had Freedom fries instead. I haven’t tried them either but they looked very much like the frozen stuff to me.

The bread was excellent (for Thailand).

The wine, a Côtes du Rhône, was decent but not very good. I suppose that French wines are like the people who make them: sophisticated, arrogant, fragile and unpredictable. Well, the (many different) Côtes du Rhône are not sophisticated and arrogant wines but they are particularly fragile and unpredictable. They have to be shipped and stored with care. Unfortunately, those we get in Thailand often have had a bad trip.

We were not given any water, I had to ask for it and even then, they only brought a single glass. In France, such poor service would cause a stir. Just before leaving, I ordered some more. They brought me a bottle and, at least, they didn’t charge for it.

They didn’t charge for the extra Freedom fries either.

The TV was on. I hate that. When I want to watch TV, I stay home.

Marco is a friendly guy. The prices are very reasonable.

I give it a 12 out of 20. There’s room for improvement.

Edited by MonsieurHulot

Well, thank you very much, indeed, Monsieur or Khun, as you prefer, Hulot, for that thoughtful, balanced, well-written, entertaining and educational review. To tell the truth, it saddens me a little that I'll never be able to enjoy hen au vin the way I used to do, but growing up is always painful, I suppose. :)

MARCOS? Do you mean Sub-comandante Marcos, also known as Sebastian Guillen? Is he visiting Chiang Mai?

Dude, you da guys keep shutting all the Chez Marco threads down. Don't blame the plebs if they don't always get the later topics named correctly! :)

Edited by Rasseru

MARCOS? Do you mean Sub-comandante Marcos, also known as Sebastian Guillen? Is he visiting Chiang Mai?

No, not this one. We're talking about the Marcos whose wife has/had an extensive shoe collection. Well, he's not dead. He now runs a French restaurant on Loy Kroh.

Edited by MonsieurHulot

growing up is always painful, I suppose. :)

How would I know? I quit growing up a long time ago. I now live in a time devoid of ages. I float on an ocean, which is not a ocean, empty of tomorrows. Though, I still have nightmares about yesteryear. And the roads. The road I've taken and the roads I've pretended not to see. The roads. I remember the roads, there were so many cars. A kaleidoscope of colours at night. Mere dots on a botched painting they will never had a chance to see, they were moving. With no directions. Nowhere men. Selling their pitiful wisdom by the pound. Unconscious brain-damaged sadhus. One man said "Hey!", they woke up and they shot him down. The crows appeared... No no no, the crows were already in the picture. Those silent crows were there since the beginning. Part of the process. Nothing must remain. Not even the crows. I quit growing up. I can feel my heartbeat. I can't die. I think I love the rain. Every time it rains, I feel like eating a croissant.

:D

Back on topic, I'll give Chez Marco another try but, this time, I'll order different dishes, Tuna Carpaccio à la provençale + some duck or Thai Style Carpaccio + some fish.

monsieurulot

Edited by MonsieurHulot

growing up is always painful, I suppose. :D

How would I know? I quit growing up a long time ago. . . .

I am reminded of the truism that we're only young once, but can remain immature forever.

(I loved your post, but had nothing meaningful to say about it. :) )

Go for the duck, maybe the goat cheese salad next time, MonsieurHulot.

I ordered bruchetta, and the "Marcos Plate" which is a selection of 4 appetizers- tapas size.

If you ask for bread to accompany, say, olive tapenade- they will whisk you a generous portion in a basket. I wasn't charged for the bread.

No wine purchase- I had a pastis before the food came, and a Singha or 2 with the meal.

They could improve a bit in a few areas, but I will mention that I found the service staff quite attentive and friendly.

I would give it a 6 or 7 out of 10, on a middle-market scale. Meaning I exclude Le Coq du Or, Le Crystal, the Chedi, etc. from consideration on this scale.