Marcos

daoyai

After all the Marcos talk on here I had to give it a try, after eating there I wanted to post my opinion but the thread had been closed, but since Gatorhead is still talking about the place on the Dukes thread.......

We arrived early evening and were the first customers, Marco was in front and greeted us warmly. Sat inside, music was just a little too loud but since it was cool Brazilian jazz I enjoyed it. Started with a couple tapa type appetizers, duck pate with toast and squid in olive oil. The pate was ok but forgettable, the toasted french bread was very good, the squid was perfect, very tender and tasty.

Next I had the salad Capri, good greens but the very generous amount of motzerella cheese was the hard rubbery kind, not the fresh soft variety that should be in salad, I left most of the cheese.

Entrees: I ordered the pork medalians with mash potatoes, excellent!. G.F. ordered the duck steak with a mustard sauce and fried potatoes. The small portion of duck was ok but the sauce was very bland and uninteresting, the fried potatoes seemed to be the commercial frozen type and not at all special.

The wine promotion was a decent Aussie red at 750B a bottle as the G.f. doesn't drink widaeng I only had a small caraf. :)

The special that day was red snapper, the couple at the next table ordered that and it looked great, it came with a grilled zuccini salad.

Verdict: overall positive, would be a good place to hang out and drink wine with friends and eat reasonably priced tapas, I think Marco really tries to please.

Side note, my GF rated the place "perfect" and she really doesn't like farang food, I was shocked.

Gatorhead, myself and David the Duke all like the place. Rasseru usually behaves himself. :)

i posted about marcos again in the dukes pizza to salty thread... i guess it is time to go back to sleep for a while.....

marcos ain't no dukes, lets not confuse the eating public

marcos it is fine dining experience , fine food ,well thought out ,carefully prepared and beautifully presented at a low cost.... why low cost ? i have not figured it out yet but hopefully chez marco will not raise his prices too soon ..

the wine>>Merlo justs under the house wine on menu by the carafe was smooth great,

i had two carafes the other night with my tuna capaccio ,smooth even the red went well with my dinner of sliced tuna .i then ordered a whole loaf of bread,they sliced it,i ate it ...most of it, as a did my wine.

Edited by gatorhead333

some obnoxious German smokers when I was there.

Fair food at fair prices I must say, ....but allowing smoking in that tiny patio???

where they obnoxious because they were smoking or just obnoxious germans that happened to be smoking?

this is a southern mederterainian fench restaurant and europeans smoke a lot it seems .for that matter many people smoke it seems

it is a patio and outside and if marco had no smoking there he would have to quit smoking himself .

it has never bothered me but try to get a seat inside next time where they do not smoke...

Actually, I had dinner with a friend at Chez Marco last night, and enjoyed it very much as I did the first two times I went there. The beef carpaccio, which Marco recommended, was excellent. We had a bottle of Cotes du Rhone, for just over 1,000 baht, that went very well with our meal. Somewhat surprisingly, to me at least, Chez Marco has perhaps 15 red wines, but only one white. Marco does not pretend that his wines are any better than decent or good companions for a meal. When I raised the subject with him, he shrugged his shoulders and mentioned something I already suspected, that it is impossible in Thailand to get for a reasonable price wines that are better than moderately good.

Entrees: I ordered the pork medalians with mash potatoes, excellent

Side note, my GF rated the place "perfect" and she really doesn't like farang food, I was shocked.

Those medalions are great. I know that everyone claims the pork here is really good, but I often find it too tough. Marco cooks both pork and chicken so that they almost fall off the bone, which is how they should be. :)

Actually, I had dinner with a friend at Chez Marco last night, and enjoyed it very much as I did the first two times I went there. The beef carpaccio, which Marco recommended, was excellent.

What else did you have and how much did it cost? (not including the Côtes du Rhone). I'd like to give it a try.

is marco gonna give special discounts for Thai Visa members?? Am sure his place is getting enough exposure here to justify a TV promotion.

It has been full every night since gatorhead's first stirring review on Thai Visa, and I do not remember it being that way before. :)

What else did you have and how much did it cost? (not including the Côtes du Rhone). I'd like to give it a try.

The other dish we had was coq au vin. Highly recommended. Every time I've gone I have either had it as my main course or shared it with someone else. I'm sorry, but I don't remember exactly how much it cost. I'm almost certain it was less than 300 baht, perhaps something like 250 baht. Leaving aside the Côtes du Rhone (thanks for that accent whatever over the 'o'), the two dishes we had last night, plus a couple of desserts and two gin-and-tonics, came to around 850 baht.

I would be happy to accompany you and DavidOxon there, if the two of you happen to be going together. :)

The other dish we had was coq au vin. Highly recommended. Every time I've gone I have either had it as my main course or shared it with someone else. I'm sorry, but I don't remember exactly how much it cost. I'm almost certain it was less than 300 baht, perhaps something like 250 baht.

I'm pretty sure that it is just under 200 baht. :)

The other dish we had was coq au vin. Highly recommended. Every time I've gone I have either had it as my main course or shared it with someone else. I'm sorry, but I don't remember exactly how much it cost. I'm almost certain it was less than 300 baht, perhaps something like 250 baht. Leaving aside the Côtes du Rhone (thanks for that accent whatever over the 'o'), the two dishes we had last night, plus a couple of desserts and two gin-and-tonics, came to around 850 baht.

I would be happy to accompany you and DavidOxon there, if the two of you happen to be going together. :)

Sounds great.

Now I have to convince the washing machine lady.

Is there anywhere to park so that one

doesn't have to pass all the horrible girlie bars?

Right in front, if you arrive on two wheels, as I do. But if you need to ask about parking, you must not be on two wheels. On one of the earlier topics regarding Chez Marco, both of which were throttled in their infancy, someone mentioned something about parking.

Hmmm . . . .

I'll mull that over!

David

Oh come on now David, it's not such a terrible thing to pass by and take a lil' peek at those girlie bars now and then! :)

Hmmm . . . .

I'll mull that over!

David

Oh come on now David, it's not such a terrible thing to pass by and take a lil' peek at those girlie bars now and then! :)

that is part of the mystic allure.....it is like you are in southern France on in a cafe back in the twentys .... eating fine food at "1920"type prices.... too bad t-land has such high duty on wine,, but again Marco has figured this one out ... the merlo is very smooth ,the second wine right under the House wine..merlo smalll carafe 250 baht it is good more than justs drinkable!

Edited by gatorhead333

Last time I ate there I walked from Panthip . . . bit of a hike back

after the wine!

If you like, I could drop you off at Panthip afterward; it is right on my way home.

It's also right on my way home (I have a car and I will probably not drink).

Friday or Saturday?

Edited by MonsieurHulot

As a matter of fact there was the most obnoxiously loud Frenchman barking into the phone the entire time I was there. Horrible. But the food, while not amazing, was very very solid. The price, however, was, for what you get, amazing. It is a great value venue, but I think that after reading all the hype here on TV my expectations were a bit too high. Not disappointed at all, however.

Last time I ate there I walked from Panthip . . . bit of a hike back

after the wine!

If you like, I could drop you off at Panthip afterward; it is right on my way home.

It's also right on my way home (I have a car and I will probably not drink).

Friday or Saturday?

Saturday, for me. Mr Oxon?