Where To Buy Charcoal For Bbq'ing

I've always gotten charcoal from my mother-in-law, who makes it from coconut shells. I am sure its very easy to buy, just ask a local, in Thai its called taan ถ่าน .

Hello Coyte, if you check the Western Food Forum there was a thread one time.

I don't know BKK, but 99.99999% of upcountry(from mom & pop/country stores) have charcoal for sale. The super stores may have charcoal like I use to buy in the US.

BKK, you can find it all, even starter fluid.

rice555

• 1 month later...

Hi Coyote,

Depends on the type of charcoal your talking about for a BBQ. As already mentioned regular charcoal is available just about everywhere. If you're asking about charcoal bricquettes, then thats another matter entirely. For those you will need to visit some one like Foodland, Villa, HomePro, Homeworks. They will even sell you the bricquettes firelighter fluid. Have found that for steaks and chops, the regular charcoal is fine, but if I want to do a turkey or rib roast, something that takes a while to cook, then the bricquettes are the only way to go with a few hickory wood chips thrown on for added flavour.

• 2 weeks later...
I've always gotten charcoal from my mother-in-law, who makes it from coconut shells. I am sure its very easy to buy, just ask a local, in Thai its called taan ถ่าน .

We make our own as well - as does the surrounding community. 'Real' charcoal can easily be obtained at any local central market {to the OP}.....just ask around. Don't support the commercial corportate retail chains, if all possible.