Salmon, Celery & Lamb Shank

From memory I couldn't find this last time I was in LOS, but not sure.

1. Fresh salmon fillets.

2. Celery (large stuff, not the Asian variety)

3. Lamb Shank? (Thais don't like lamb much :/)

Can but from Tescos etc or harder to find, if at all?

Thanks

My local Tops (in Bangkok) has lamb shanks for about 180 baht each as well as fresh salmon and celery. Don't know the prices as I don't eat either of the last 2 items. But we cooked lamb shanks in red wine and tomato sauce a week or so ago and I remember that price clearly :)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

anybody know where to get root celery and leeks (not the small onion leeks but the bigger ones) in Bangkok?

I already looked in Big C and in Tops, Big C didn't even have the Asian style celery. Tops had the Asian style celery but not the root celery and also not the leeks only onion leeks.

Thanks a lot for any hint.

anybody know where to get root celery and leeks (not the small onion leeks but the bigger ones) in Bangkok?

I already looked in Big C and in Tops, Big C didn't even have the Asian style celery. Tops had the Asian style celery but not the root celery and also not the leeks only onion leeks.

Thanks a lot for any hint.

I was in Makro's today had lamb "Leg's, boned rolled shoulder's, and shank's x 2 all in the freezer dep:, celery large, Fresh and frozen salmon all the cut's. I didnt see the leek's as didnt go to that bit of the shop but they do have them. Hope this help's.

Big C (the Fashion Island branch, at least) has proper celery - but by "root celery" do you mean celeriac? That I've only ever seen here in Siam Paragon.

Leeks (imported Australian and very, very expensive) are sometimes seen in Villa.

Foodland and TOPS both stock frozen lamb, but Makro is significantly cheaper.

Tesco do salmon steaks though they are not cheap. I love salmon but I'm not prepared to pay the price given that there are so many local fish that I also enjoy.

One thing I would be prepared to pay extra for is pickled herrings if anyone knows where I can get them on Samui. The sour 'rollmop' type rather than the Scandanavian type which has too much sugar and dill for my liking.

Big C (the Fashion Island branch, at least) has proper celery - but by "root celery" do you mean celeriac? That I've only ever seen here in Siam Paragon.

Leeks (imported Australian and very, very expensive) are sometimes seen in Villa.

Foodland and TOPS both stock frozen lamb, but Makro is significantly cheaper.

thanks a lot for your answer and also from the others. I will try this out. As for root celery, what I mean is that

w w w.lgl.bayern.de/lebensmittel/pic/sellerie_knollen.jpg

(Sorry as I am a new member I can not post the link, just copy it into the browser and remove the spaces between the w's)

I guess the very expensive Australian leeks is what I would like to get. I also heard it might be available at Gourmet Market at the Emporium or Siam Paragon. I have to check out that Gourmet Market as well, I also heard that they stock a lot of organic vegetables and fruits, which I like.

As for root celery, what I mean is that

w w w.lgl.bayern.de/lebensmittel/pic/sellerie_knollen.jpg

(Sorry as I am a new member I can not post the link, just copy it into the browser and remove the spaces between the w's)

I guess the very expensive Australian leeks is what I would like to get. I also heard it might be available at Gourmet Market at the Emporium or Siam Paragon. I have to check out that Gourmet Market as well, I also heard that they stock a lot of organic vegetables and fruits, which I like.

http://www.lgl.bayer...rie_knollen.jpg is commonly known as celeriac in English.

Gourmet Market at Siam Paragon is much larger than the one at Emporium and carries a bigger range. Just be careful to check whether you're buying Royal Project, organic or "normal" vegetables and compare the prices. The former two are much more expensive.

You can get real leeks very easily now in Bangkok. Most Tops, Foodland, Villa, Gourmet Market and even Makro sell leeks. Just look around the organic section, they're usually about 30 baht for two medium sized leeks in Tops and about 80 baht a kilo in Makro.

I've only ever seen Celeriac in Villa, it was very expensive though, about 250-300 baht/kg.

You can get real leeks very easily now in Bangkok. Most Tops, Foodland, Villa, Gourmet Market and even Makro sell leeks. Just look around the organic section, they're usually about 30 baht for two medium sized leeks in Tops and about 80 baht a kilo in Makro.

I've only ever seen Celeriac in Villa, it was very expensive though, about 250-300 baht/kg.

thanks so much all for your answers, so I am going to look around the Villa, still have to figure out where the next Villa supermarket is.

Unfortunately, those things that look like leeks aren't - they're Japanese Onions (also called Japanese Long Onions). They have a sharper, more onion-y taste than true leeks.

Unfortunately, those things that look like leeks aren't - they're Japanese Onions (also called Japanese Long Onions). They have a sharper, more onion-y taste than true leeks.

A Japanese onion is a leek (or naganegi in Japanese). The only difference is that the Japanese harvest them earlier as they prefer them thin, so can taste a little sharper and more oniony. Just pick a thicker one and it will taste more leek like!

A Japanese onion is a leek (or naganegi in Japanese). The only difference is that the Japanese harvest them earlier as they prefer them thin, so can taste a little sharper and more oniony. Just pick a thicker one and it will taste more leek like!

Absolute tommyrot, I'm afraid. Japanese onions and leeks are two totally different species. The Japanese onion is Allium fistulosum; the leek is Allium ampeloprasum var. porrum (L.) (sometimes referred to as Allium porrum). In fact, the leek is more closely related to elephant garlic than it is to the Japanese onion. The most obvious physical difference from a cook's point of view is that Japanese onions have a thick flower stalk running up the middle when they're quite small; this only develops in leeks when they're old.

Absolute tommyrot, I'm afraid. Japanese onions and leeks are two totally different species. The Japanese onion is Allium fistulosum; the leek is Allium ampeloprasum var. porrum (L.) (sometimes referred to as Allium porrum). In fact, the leek is more closely related to elephant garlic than it is to the Japanese onion. The most obvious physical difference from a cook's point of view is that Japanese onions have a thick flower stalk running up the middle when they're quite small; this only develops in leeks when they're old.

Interesting, I was always told they're the same thing from my Japanese chef friends. Well I learn something every day.

But as a chef not a scientist, the two are basically the same and Japanese chefs in Europe generally use small leeks rather than Naganegi and in Asia, European chefs use what's called Japanese onions when needing leeks. If you find them too sharp just salt them first.

Edit.

Just took a look at the Japanese onions I bought from Tops yesterday and there is no flower stalk running through it and has the exact compostion as a leek. Maybe some of the Japanese onions sold here are actually leeks and like me, they thought they are the same thing?

Edited by theseahorse

now you guys really confuse me, so where do I now look for real leeks??? :unsure:

I guess I already tried once using onion leeks for my vegetable soup but I did not like it so much.

Maybe I can get the real leeks from Gourmet Market.

WIll see... :jap:

Edited by yannic