Wrong Password, Now Modem Won't Work

icequeen

Hi, I recently moved house so TTNT gave me a new username and password when they swapped my maxnet from the old house to here. But being a bit thick :) I went into the modem setup and instead of putting the modems username and password in first I kept putting the TTNT one in. Now the modem has locked up and won't work, I took it to Tukcom but the guy I spoke to can't do anything with it,

Does anyone know how to fix it before I go and buy a new one? Surely it can't be completely buggared just by putting the wrong details in??

Also I cannot take it back to where I bought it because I got it from TOT about 2 years ago and I no longer have a TOT connection.

Hi, I recently moved house so TTNT gave me a new username and password when they swapped my maxnet from the old house to here. But being a bit thick :) I went into the modem setup and instead of putting the modems username and password in first I kept putting the TTNT one in. Now the modem has locked up and won't work, I took it to Tukcom but the guy I spoke to can't do anything with it,

Does anyone know how to fix it before I go and buy a new one? Surely it can't be completely buggared just by putting the wrong details in??

Also I cannot take it back to where I bought it because I got it from TOT about 2 years ago and I no longer have a TOT connection.

To my best knowledge every modem has a reset button. Try try to find and use it. Often used standard passwords are admin / blank or admin / admin. Blank stands for no input at all in this field.

Edited by Johnxxx

Thanks, but I've already tried the reset button and you are correct my standard username and password are admin, admin. I just assumed that it was asking for my internet username and password. I think all the guy at tukcom did was try the reset button aswell.

Maybe if you post the exact make and model of the modem someone can give the specifics for this modem. I had a modem that I needed to press and hold the reset button a minimum of 10 seconds for the reset to be effective and clear the settings back to default. Anything less and it was only a soft reset to boot it up again.

If it was a TOT modem then try this:

Your old telephone number then one dependant on speed

@supercyber 256/128kbps

@extracyber 512/256kbps

@bestcyber 1024/512kbps

@silversyber 1536/512kbps

@goldcyber 2048/512kbps

example:

you had the number 028888888 and a speed of 1024kbps

then User name is 028888888@bestcyber

Password is your telephone number:

so - Username 028888888@bestcyber

Password 028888888

Hope this helps

Edited by beano2274

If it was a TOT modem then try this:

Your old telephone number then one dependant on speed

@supercyber 256/128kbps

@extracyber 512/256kbps

@bestcyber 1024/512kbps

@silversyber 1536/512kbps

@goldcyber 2048/512kbps

example:

you had the number 028888888 and a speed of 1024kbps

then User name is 028888888@bestcyber

Password is your telephone number:

so - Username 028888888@bestcyber

Password 028888888

Hope this helps

Those are the username/passwords for the internet connections, icequeen wants the username and password to access her modem.

Also I think she has the the correct username and password for the modem but repeatedly entered an incorrect one by mistake and now the modem is locked up and can't be accessed at all. She wanted to know if it's possible to unlock it.

I also have a TOT wireless router that I need the username and password for. Mine is a Thomson Speed TOUCH 580 if anybody can help.

Edited by sumrit

they are the usernames and passwords given to you when you collect the Modem.

They are held on my mozilla records for my Modem (IP address).

You do not log onto the Internet, if you have DSL it is fully automatic.

I have it on a piece of paper given to me when I got my modem, it also states the changes you need to make

to the Modem setup like VPi and VCi. I suggest you try, and check them before you say NO.

Edited by beano2274

they are the usernames and passwords given to you when you collect the Modem.

They are held on my mozilla records for my Modem (IP address).

You do not log onto the Internet, if you have DSL it is fully automatic.

I have it on a piece of paper given to me when I got my modem, it also states the changes you need to make

to the Modem setup like VPi and VCi. I suggest you try, and check them before you say NO.

Yes I agree, but they are the ones you need to access the internet connection not the ones you need to access the modem in order to change the internet settings. This is the mistake icequeen made she tried to use those internet codes instead of the modem codes and now the modem is locked. She wants to know how to unlock it.

For a Thomson Speed touch have you tried this guide.

If you are sure that this is generic firmware, & not locked, the best thing to do is to reset it to defaults. It will then be:

• User: 'Administrator'
    Password: (blank)(no password)

The process to hardware-reset-to-defaults is on p91 of the User Guide:

1. Make sure the SpeedTouch is powered on.
  2. Use a pen or an unfolded paperclip to push the recessed reset button on the back panel. Keep it pushed until the power LED lights red - this will take about 7 seconds.
  3. Release the reset button.
  4. The SpeedTouch restarts.

For a Thomson Speed touch have you tried this guide.

If you are sure that this is generic firmware, & not locked, the best thing to do is to reset it to defaults. It will then be:

• User: 'Administrator'
    Password: (blank)(no password)

The process to hardware-reset-to-defaults is on p91 of the User Guide:

1. Make sure the SpeedTouch is powered on.
  2. Use a pen or an unfolded paperclip to push the recessed reset button on the back panel. Keep it pushed until the power LED lights red - this will take about 7 seconds.
  3. Release the reset button.
  4. The SpeedTouch restarts.

Thanks I'll try that :)

Normal passwords have been given here already

Username- Admin

password - admin (although sometimes ***** will appear, you should still type in admin again at the end)

Yes she's got those and tried them but only after she'd put in the wrong ones and now the modem is locked and won't accept anything at all. She needs to know how to unlock it, not what the password is. Resetting it doesn't help.

For a DLINK modem

Username - admin

Password - tot

To reset

Ensure modem is powered on

Press and hold the reset button on the rear of the device for 5 - 8 seconds

This process will take about 30 - 60 seconds to complete.

Resetting the router will erase all configuration settings, so remember to enter again by either logging in to the Modem or using the Set Up wizard.

To NANLAEW - very true, we do not know the make or model, but TOT only give out DLink or Thomson modems

Edited by beano2274

For a DLINK modem

Username - admin

Password - tot

To reset

Ensure modem is powered on

Press and hold the reset button on the rear of the device for 5 - 8 seconds

This process will take about 30 - 60 seconds to complete.

Resetting the router will erase all configuration settings, so remember to enter again by either logging in to the Modem or using the Set Up wizard.

To NANLAEW - very true, we do not know the make or model, but TOT only give out DLink or Thomson modems

Ok, I know the OP and this is basicly what's happened.

They bought a DLink (model 2640B) wireless router two years ago from TOT. The modem username is admin and the password is also admin. Last year they moved house and had to change to TT&T. They put the TT&T settings into the router and have been using it successfuly since then. Last month they moved house again and stayed with TT&T but were given a new username and password for their internet connection. But when they tried to change the settings in the modem again they mistakingly kept putting in this new username/password when they should have been putting in the modem username/password (admin/admin) first to access the settings page. After the third attempt the modem reverted to standby mode and can't now be turned on, it appears to be locked in standby. Tried reseting the modem with the reset button but that won't work because the modem needs to be 'on' first. It's obviously locked into a safety/security mode and what the OP wants to know is does anybody know of a way of bringing it out of this mode and switching the thing back on again or is it only good for the bin?

Hope this now makes sense.

It may help but I could think of it is defective or something has been spilled in it.

- unplug all cables from the router

- Press (or) hold the power button for about 1 minute. Release the power on button to off.

- Push the on button again (or) hold it! Plug the power cable in the outlet. Release the power on button.

Check if it powers on. Yes, than proceed to reset the modem...

Edited by webfact

Just for fun on a rainy Saturday night I just downloaded the manual for the 2640B and extracted the two pages related to password and login. I see nothing anywhere in the manual related to this blocking of a username and nothing about any standby mode. It says nothing about getting blocked. It does say if you cannot log in or have forgotten the password then a rest must be performed.

I attach the two pages from the manual.

DSL2640blogin.pdf

Good sleuthing there longball ! Amazing thing looking on the MANUFACTURERS WEBSITE FOR HELP (emphasis for the OP)!

If the user/user OR admin/admin OR support/support logins don't work and the reset at the bottom of page 2 doesn't work, it's end of story then, the old Dlink modem is a brick so stop being cheap, bin it and buy a new one.

Dlink stuff is dogsh!t IMHO, try Linksys.

Edited by NanLaew

Thank you to all those who have posted helpful replies.

I am not being cheap I just don't see the point in buying a new modem if this one can be repaired.

I had already checked the manufacturers handbook before I posted and found nothing relevant to my problem, so NanLaew there is really no need for sarcastic comments.

Thank you to all those who have posted helpful replies.

I am not being cheap I just don't see the point in buying a new modem if this one can be repaired.

I had already checked the manufacturers handbook before I posted and found nothing relevant to my problem, so NanLaew there is really no need for sarcastic comments.

ok. sorry.

now pay attention next time and like me, WRITE ALL YOUR PASSWORDS DOWN.

I think most replies have tried to be helpful to icequeen, the problem is they all need the modem to be swiched on and it's locked in the standby mode so she can't try any of them. As a retired engineer I'm familiar with the sort of protection manufacturers put on their equipment to prevent them being used if stolen and by inputting the wrong details icequeen has locked the modem in this protection mode. When in this locked mode an engineer is usually needed to unlock it. If password protected, for TV's, DVD's, etc it usually means pressing a sequence of buttons on the remote control and/or the set itself, although with some manufacturers you need to reprogram the eeprom itself. The engineer would normally have to get the 'remote code' or the eeprom data directly from the manufacturer although since I retired I believe a lot are now available on the internet. I can't find anything for this modem but thought somebody might know how to do it.

I did not pick up on where icequeen is located but it sounds like a trip to the local Dlink rep is needed. Hand them the modem and say fix it. Or take it to TOT and give them some song and dance and the same thing say fix it.

At this point the modem is locked up and needs a hard reset that the manufacturer rep can perform. It may need a series of button pushing or it may need a pin grounded out on an Eeprom but a rep or repair person should be involved at this point.

If the repair route is too costly or inconvenient then in to the rubbish bin and buy another and then next time write down the passwords.

you need the Eeprom chip number, then maybe http://www.mpu51.com/eprom/eprom.html

can help.

But then the OP needs to take the Router apart. Maybe cables need to be made.....

Best to look for a cheap second hand one.

The eeprom is a rewritable memory chip that is used to store all customer/manufacturer adjustable data (eg. usernames and passwords :):D ) . A new one from a general component supplier would be blank with no program/information installed so that doesn't help I'm afraid. To fit a new eeprom would mean getting one preprogrammed from the manufacturer and they wouldn't supply one to a member of the public.

Having spent over thirty years in the electronic manufacturing/service industry though I do think I am capable of taking the router apart for the OP and disconnecting/reconnecting a few 'cables' if nessasary, but thanks for your concern :D

Edited by sumrit

Right, thanks again everyone I am going to try and find a dlink rep and see if they can fix it, I am in Sriracha so if anyone knows of one in the area or even in Pattaya would you please let me know. I will take a tour of my local tukcom this afternoon and see what I can find.