Chrome Moly Tube - Wtb

Hog Head

I have asked this in the bike forum to no avail so here it goes again to TV members at large

Where can I buy AISI 4130 chrome moly tube? All I get is mai mee, or a stunned look with no help whatsoever on whom to contact.

I have discovered that the term 4130 throws them off and the local term is simply chrome moly, but alas, the usual mai mee.

I just need 2 x 6m lengths of 1" x .120 wall and any help would be greatly appreciated

You may be able to pick some up in the Rayong area where the industrial parks are. Maybe the McMasters shop in Map Tha Phut?

But I don't think it's the sort of stuff most places would have in as a stock item as it's usually a special order and long lead delivery times.

Still there may be a place that has a few lengths that have 'fallen off the back of a Yahaha' around Map Ta Phut / Rayong.

4130 is the mix of steel right? Molybdenum and chrome and is the standard for good quality steel MTB frames.

Have you contacted the bicycle frame manufacturers directly? There are a number of factories here that make frames but I am not sure if they still use cro mo as it was always more expensive compared to hi tensile steel and 7000 series aluminum.

Edited by Rimmer

In AISI speak, 41 stands for chrome moly and 30 is the carbon content at 0.30%. this is a high tensile steel with a yield typically around 90,000 psi and easy to weld.

Run of the mill stuff in the Western world, and you would think it would be easy enough to find but as I say all I get is the typical mai mee. I have spoken to a couple of local motorcycle builders and contrary to what one would expect, all they use is local steel tube.

www.ipipes.com is where my company buys its piping stuff.

They list 3" - 8" chrome moly on their website.

Thanks but I am looking for a source in Thailand.

This stuff is common in the Western world but as I say I really do not want to have to import 2 lengths

They would know what local stockists they have shipped materials to that may be contacted to buy from.

But I've had our local purchaser working on it with her contacts and nobody has replied, but it's not likely that 1" tube is used in industrial applications like ours.