Anti Virus Protect Your Pc.

MistaDorn

hi, right now I'm using Russian Anti Virus and I just loving it. I used to use Norton Anti Virus, but Norton scaned my pc and it found the virus under name of Norton. I just wondring why this could happened. then I restarted my PC, god damned won't enter the windows now. and all smily face appear on the black screen. so Immediatly plughed-out my 2nd hard disk that I stored all my works and videos, mp3 thingy. hmm now i re-started my pc it entered normally. so I un-installed Norton. and used Ad-aware by Lavasoft found lot of bugs. I asked my friends which is the best anti virus in the world???, he Immediatly answered "Kaspersky" and I asked him why the name is little weird. then he said it is Russian anti virus. so then I installed this Kaspersky Anti-Virus and Kaspersky Anti-Hackers. well I deffinitly can say that Kaspersky is very good Anti-Virus with updating everyday. but thing is have to update by myself. It blocked all of the banner of everysite I entered. the banner display "action cancelled" replace the ads-banner. I like it. I thanks to him. and asked him so you use this anti-virus too? he said no he did not. he said that it will be slow for his computer, because Kaspersky will slow up your computer much more than Norton. but It is not a big problem with my computer with 1GB DDR-Ram. In my office I also installed this Kaspersky too. friend of mine as he is programmer too. He said he know this software and he won't installed this. he said it's gonna be slowed for his pc. He said Nod32 is the best one :o . So I don't know which is the good Software for Anti Virus. anyone have anycomment for:

Norton Anti-Virus

Kaspersky

Nod32

Personally I loved Kaspersky. it scanned the every websites before it download to hard disk.

Yours

Dorn

Norton sucks

I just switched from Norton to McAfee and scanned with Norton before the switch and nothing was found. I was using the Norton security suite with fire wall. With my first scan using McAfee it found 8 trojan horses. Norton?- never again!

I have recently un-installed Norton System Works 2005 and Norton Internet Security 2005 - they use up a lot of resources and slowed up my email reading (because of the email scanner) by 10 seconds per email!

I now use AVG (including it's email scanner). I also run ZoneAlarm and Microsoft AntiSpyware and occasionally scan using SpyBot, Adaware, and Pest Patrol.

I also use DUMeter to monitor traffic and SysInternal's Process Explorer to monitor the processes running..

My old PC (500 MHz, 256 MB RAM, WinXP) has never run as sweet as it is now!

Dorn - A year or so back, I had a long discussion about the various antivirus software, with a knowledgeable person at Microsoft. When asked the same question you ask here, I was told "Kaspersky is the best". When asked why, he stated "60% of virus's originate in countries of the former Soviet Union". He intimated the old saying, "you send a thief to catch a thief".

Today, its difficult to say which is best. For several years, I had personally used Norton, but basically in an inactive-mode, and only for manual scans. Recently had to uninstall it due to it's incompatability with several firewalls. Unfortunately, Symantec (IMHO) has ruined almost all their product line, in an attempt to offer "new features". I believe most people familar with Peter Norton's earlier efforts, will agree.

As RDN noted, AVG is very good and free for personal use. (AVG users should note support for v6 will end February 15, 2005. They should download the newer v7.0 ASAP, to insure future protection. Info and download link here.)

I've also heard very positive comments on Panda. Trend Micro is also very good, but I find their updating system a bit of a pain. My problems with McAfee many years ago, makes me leary of their products, however, you should test as many AV's as possible, then select the one you find most compatable.

Have fun :D

(RDN - 500MhZ/256Mb/WinXP is old????? My old reliable is a 300MhZ Celeron/128MB/Win98. Hope to fully understand how the OS works in another couple of years. Fits me like an old shoe. :o cheers )

There was a time when I'd never use anything other than Norton, but Norton likes to take control of your PC. McAfee is good, but does slow it down a bit. Bitdefender worked well for me but won't uninstall.

Just started using Avast w/email scanner and its great so far and uses next to no system resources. Its also free which is a major plus. Zonealarm with antivirus is only $20 US.

cv

....(RDN - 500MhZ/256Mb/WinXP is old?????  My old reliable is a 300MhZ Celeron/128MB/Win98. Hope to fully understand how the OS works in another couple of years. Fits me like an old shoe.  :o  cheers )

My PC (lap-top) came with W98. Took me a long long time to pluck up the courage to upgrade to WinXP, but glad that I did. It needs more RAM, but very hard to find and both slots are used by 128 MB in each, so adding 2 lots of 256 would be about 1/4 the price of a new desktop. So that's one of the reasons I like to keep resource-hungry programs off my machine. Of course, when it ran W98 it was pretty quick no matter what I installed. :D

McAfee- Zone Alarm

yeah, forget about Norton. oh yea, you talked about McAfee. is it make your pc slow? or just normal?

McAfee Virus scan doen't slow this Sony P4 2.8- WinXP down but I don't use their firewall because I tried it when it first came out on a older computer and it slowed it down. I then used Zone Alarm for a firewall with the McAfee virus protection on the older computer and it worked fine so that is what I went back to. Norton came free for a while with the new Sony but when it expired I switched to McAfee becaues it is now free with my ISP- AOL.

Edited by ronz28

I binned norton and McAfee in favour of AVG.

I like it.  Uses less resources and its free.  I like free.

I have never tried Kaspersky so cannot comment on it

I tried all of them and most of them slow down your PC. Now I use Mcafee firewall, it stops IP attacks extremly well. Spybot Search and Destroy is also pro active, it stops all the attacks via Internet explorer. And the best is AVG Antivrus scanner with real fast upgrades. And all of them are free downloads and upgrades and my PC runs faster than ever.

PS: I do some defragmentation sometimes, makes my PC running even faster.