Touring Northern Thailand On A Rented Kawasaki Er6n

Just got back from Chiang Mai where I hooked up with some friends and did some fun rides on a rented Kawasaki ER6n.

052709SamoengBikes6Sm.jpg

Only 1000 Baht a day with insurance for an ER6n with only 1200km on it. It's kinda nice to beat on someone else's bike and give mine a break wink.gif

Was reminded again how slippery the stock Dunlop tires can be- I still can't believe these tires get good reviews. I miss my Pirellis and TWO BROS cool.gif

The ride to Phayao and Phrao was aweome-

052809RideMap.jpg

Back to Bangkok now and hoping to hit the BRC tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Tony, who did you rent the bike from in CM? Saw my first er6n in the flesh today, looks a lot better than on internet pics!! Think you know the owner of the bike as he said he bought some sliders from you. Might take a break to CM and rent for a few days, help make my mind up about buying...

Just got back from Chiang Mai where I hooked up with some friends and did some fun rides on a rented Kawasaki ER6n.

052709SamoengBikes6Sm.jpg

Only 1000 Baht a day with insurance for an ER6n with only 1200km on it. It's kinda nice to beat on someone else's bike and give mine a break wink.gif

Was reminded again how slippery the stock Dunlop tires can be- I still can't believe these tires get good reviews. I miss my Pirellis and TWO BROS cool.gif

The ride to Phayao and Phrao was aweome-

052809RideMap.jpg

Back to Bangkok now and hoping to hit the BRC tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Hi nice trip, an interesting route too.

Here is what i see on the picture....2x 650 cc er6n's and a 200 cc honda phantom?

a guy with flipflops and another guy with a kid...assuming that another rider made a photo i was wondering how the kid got there?

mbox

Hi Guys,

I rented the ER6n from POP CAR RENT. (I believe Pop's is the only shop that rents ER6n's) Location: 51 Kotchasarn Rd. ChiangMai 50100

pop-rent-mappa.gif

The guy in the sandals is a friend and he rides the Phantom. I did give him a hard time about riding in sandals and the next day he wore proper boots.

The guy with the kid is me :D My son LOVES to ride and gets pissed if I leave him behind :)

LittleLegendSm.jpg

I rented the Orange ER6n. Liam took the picture and that's his custom painted red, black and silver ER6n.

I have a bunch more pics and some video too- I'll post more once I've had a chance to edit.

Look forward to riding with some of you on the 13th!

Happy Trails,

Tony

Viewpoint on route to Samoeng on the Mae Rim side?

Recognized Liam's spiffy paint job in passing, I was the D-Tracked that honked in greeting this past Wednesday morning. No time to stop as I was busy chasing a couple of much bigger Zuki's that day, we were looping to the 1013 on fine mixed surfaced roads.

Cheers

Viewpoint on route to Samoeng on the Mae Rim side?

Recognized Liam's spiffy paint job in passing, I was the D-Tracked that honked in greeting this past Wednesday morning. No time to stop as I was busy chasing a couple of much bigger Zuki's that day, we were looping to the 1013 on fine mixed surfaced roads.

Cheers

555!

Small world! Yeah- we saw you guys fly past and Liam even managed to get off a couple pics-

052709DirtBikesSm.jpg

It was a beautiful day and hope you had a great ride. Catch you next time!

Happy Trails,

Tony

A few more pics from the rides last week-

Wife and son getting ready to head out Thai style (3-up) :D

052709ER6nMirMomSm.jpg

The little guy trying out the Phantom-

052709PhantomMirSm.jpg

Get me off of this thing!

052709PhantomMir1Sm.jpg

Pit stop near Samoeng-

052979SamoengMirSm.jpg

Liam's ER6n with cool custom paint and Givi rack-

052709LiamsER6n2Sm.jpg

Saying hi to the BiB :D

052709MomMirSm.jpg

Checking out the Mae Sa Valley map-

052709SamoengMap1Sm.jpg

(Not sure but I think this map was provided by the GT Riders- good on ya Dave Unk!)

052709SamoengMapSm.jpg

Chris on his beloved Phantom- riding in sandals??? :)

052709ChrisZm.jpg

A bit hazy but still an amazing view over the Samoeng forest-

052709SamoengBikesSm.jpg

Biker boy :D

052709SamoengMir1Sm.jpg

He's so good about wearing his helmet, jeans and proper shoes :D

052709SamoengMirSm.jpg

Now, wear can I find gloves and a jacket that will fit a 2 year old?! (Eventually need a full face helmet too...)

I figure in another year or so he'll be ready for a little Kawasaki 110 dirt bike-

0813BabyDirt2Zm.jpg

Stopped for lunch at the X Centre-

052709XCentreSm.jpg

Was too bad we missed Ian, but at least we were able to hook up for drinks at the Number 1 Bar the night before. Ian, if you read this- awesome food as always!

Helped ourselves to Ian's covered parking :D

052709XCentreBikes1Sm.jpg

Watched some folks take the plunge off the bungy jump tower-

052709BungyJumpSm.jpg

My little guy enjoyed chasing Ian's brown cat and watering the sidewalks :D

052709XCentreMir3Sm.jpg

Maybe next time we'll go for a spin in one of your buggies- they look pretty fun!

052709XCentreBuggiesSm.jpg

See you again soon!

052709MeER6nSm.jpg

Happy Trails,

Tony

tony what are the pirellis like in the wet? I do cover a lot of miles on my bike so i need an all round tyre.

Hi Kirky,

I put the Pirellis to the test last month in heavy rain and subsequent wet roads in Khao Yai National Park and they were great- much better grip than the stock Dunlop Roadsmarts.

041109Ride8Sm.jpg

The Pirellis are of course more expensive than the Dunlops and I expect they won't last as long, but I think they are well worth it!

What do the rest of you think about the stock Dunlops? I rented an ER6n in Chiang Mai last week that had the stock Dunlops and I was reminded again how easy it is to spin and slide the stock tires-

052709SamoengBikesSm.jpg

Was still able to run them almost edge to edge, but you have to ride the Dunlops smooth and gentle as it's easy to break them loose.

Happy Trails!

Tony

My son LOVES to ride and gets pissed if I leave him behind :)

Excellent - same same but my son is a bit older, 12, and hates being left behind. We plan to spend a week plus next month touring the north; to GT, Nan, Udon THani, Korat, two up. Off course finding a jacket and boots for the 5ft tall kid here was a peice of cake.

Overseas this month, but count me in for a ride next time. Thanks Liam for the only picture of our great day riding.

Best Regards,

Kev

How funny Kev; this really is a small world. Or maybe just Samoeng Loop is really popular.

You guys went by so fast, you were already half gone by the time I even looked up. Only got off 2 quick pics.

p1000109h.jpg

Thanks for posting all these pics Tony. Looking forward to your next visit.

Nice one Tony!!

The 118 (once you get clear of CNX) and the 120 are great rides. Also the best and most enjoyable to get over towards Nan from CNX. If you decide to do that look up the map and get onto the 1091 after the end of the 120 and across the highway, another sweet one.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've been waiting and waiting for my friend Chris to send me the video he took during this ride so that I could add it to my video, but seems it may never come, so I've gone ahead and slapped this little movie together showing some beautiful roads near Phrao.

Since Chris was riding an underpowered Phantom it was easy to blast ahead and pull over to video him as he caught up. I think he got some good clips of me on the ER6n but I've yet to see them...

Happy Trails!

Tony