Post Office Duty On Gifts Sent From America?

damian5000

I recently sent some gifts to my girlfriend in Thailand. A few baseball gloves and baseballs for her son, a video game, a stuffed animal etc... The Thai post office is now saying my girlfriend must pay 1200 baht in duties and taxes... Is this for real? How could the average Thai afford to receive gifts? That's 10 days of work for the average Thai. It seems absolutely ridiculous.....

I think you completely underestimate the earning power of the average Thai.

The majority of the Thai I know make about 4000-7000 baht a month. If you think it's otherwise, maybe it's because you've been hanging out with too many hookers and yabaa dealers.

The majority of the Thai I know make about 4000-7000 baht a month. If you think it's otherwise, maybe it's because you've been hanging out with too many hookers and yabaa dealers.

I agree Damian most of the the Thais I know make less then 7000 a month. I couldn't even imagine my reaction if I went to pick up a parcel and they wanted me to pay a weeks salary to get it.

I recently sent some gifts to my girlfriend in Thailand. A few baseball gloves and baseballs for her son, a video game, a stuffed animal etc... The Thai post office is now saying my girlfriend must pay 1200 baht in duties and taxes... Is this for real? How could the average Thai afford to receive gifts? That's 10 days of work for the average Thai. It seems absolutely ridiculous.....

The U.S. post office can do the same in the U.S., I've been charged import duty in the past. Also been charge here one time at the postal customs place down near Hua Lamphong, got a good rate, tho, as the officer's brother was living in Golden, Colorado where I'd gone to college my first two years.

For the most part, if I need something from the U.S. I'll mail order it to be sent to my sister in Oregon, then hunt for someone heading over this way. Often have to wait a month to many but that works.

Mac

I agree Damian most of the the Thais I know make less then 7000 a month. I couldn't even imagine my reaction if I went to pick up a parcel and they wanted me to pay a weeks salary to get it.

I just feel crappy for her. Obviously I'll be reimbursing her... There's no way I would send a gift and expect her to pay to receive it. It's ridiculous. If it was merchandise for resale or multiple valuable items, I could see the logic, but not for a few baseball gloves, a video game and a stuffed animal. It's just plain sad... I'll refrain from putting what I'd like to do to the scheisters.

I also found out the hard way when we sent my step daughter a package with Christmas gifts, the Thai post charged mom in law like 1,800 baht duty. You either pay up or lose the package! needless to say I don't send anymore gifts, better to give mom in law a few thousand baht and let her shop for us!

Edited by capco1

Did you give a detailed description of the contents inside?

Seems like if the value is quoted on the gift as less than $65 they don't charge any duty. UPS is really bad got an order for $450 and the duty was 5,000 baht.

Maybe this was my mistake then. I quoted more than that on the outside because the package was insured by US Post, so wanted to get full value if it didn't make it there, but I guess I fuc_ked myself in the long run. Live and learn... Will try the $65 trick next time.... :)