Reactivating Old Bank Account

I left Thailand about 4 years ago and kept my Thai Farmers bank account active with a few hundred baht in it.

I will soon be returning. Will I find my account has been closed? I guess my ATM card will have expired but I forgot the pin number anyways.

I still have the passbook /account number etc.

Should I try to reactivate the account? I won't have a wp for a while so I wont qualify for a new account.

Any thoughts?

Should be still ok, just go to a nearest K-Bank branch and they will do new passbooks and cards for you.

I wouldn't count on it being so easy.

With less than the minimum of ??? (around 2,000 I believe), the account is suspended after a couple of years inactivity and then TIT, you have to go to the original branch. I believe they also start deducting an annual fee.

In my case, with the Ayuddaya bank, it would have cost more than the money that I presumably still had/have in the account to travel to the branch. So I opened a new account.

But TIT, try and maybe it works.

I had my old Thai Farmers / K-Bank account inactive for few years with very little balance and just started using it again once i got back without any problems. Took me over 2 years before i got to their branch to activate online banking and they were all wondering how my old thai farmers ATM card still worked :)

I guess the minimum balance was 500 baht and i was over that all the time so no annual or monthly fees.

I reactivated an old Siam City account last year. just needed a copy of my passport. If there is no activity for (I think) 12 months and the balance under 1000 baht it gets stopped. Apparently a letter is sent to the address for the account holder telling them they need to reactivate it. But of course this ius usually a very old address where the custioemr no longer lives.

Also tried to re-activate an old Krung Thai account but couldn't unless i went to the branch I opened it at. But was allowed to close it at my local branch and withdraw the 800 baht remaining. However, in order to close it, the account had to be re-opened first - whgich my local branch could do. But my argument along the lines of if you are going to re-open it to close it, surely you can re-open it so it can remain open and I can deposit money in it failed. Computer said No.

I left Thailand about 4 years ago and kept my Thai Farmers bank account active with a few hundred baht in it.

I will soon be returning. Will I find my account has been closed? I guess my ATM card will have expired but I forgot the pin number anyways.

I still have the passbook /account number etc.

Should I try to reactivate the account? I won't have a wp for a while so I wont qualify for a new account.

Any thoughts?

Once I tried to reactivate a long dormant K-Bank (ex Thai Farmers Bank) account that had just 300 baht in it. K-Bank told me the account was closed, and they gave me the money that had been in it.

Dormant accounts with very little funds in it only cost the bank money, adds a lot to the administration costs.

OP, in case K-Bank would tell you the account is closed, I would try to open a new account right away, the wp rule is not so rigidly enforced everywhere.