Does Anyone Know What Docs I Need To Travel To Laos By Motorbike?

kano85

Hi to all of you.

Does anyone know what documents i need to travel to Laos by motorbike. The bike is registered on my name.

Or any websites is also welcome ? I couldnt find anything ?

Thx for your help in advance.

charlie

He Charlie,

I have been a few times to Laos on the bike, but currently, the Laos government is a bit anti foreign motorcycles in the country. There are still a few border posts where you can get into Laos with a motorcycle.

Websites like GT-Rider.com have a lot more information about the Laos/Thai border situation

Last time I checked, you just needed your ownership papers and fill out a form there. I've never done it yet though. If you wait a couple months, then I'll let you know. As I'm sure you already know, you do have to take it back out, can't leave it there.

Hi to all of you.

Does anyone know what documents i need to travel to Laos by motorbike. The bike is registered on my name.

Or any websites is also welcome ? I couldnt find anything ?

Thx for your help in advance.

charlie

The first question is, where are you going to cross? Thai registered bikes cannot cross from Thailand into Laos over the Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai to Vientiane. They may exit from Laos at that point however.

The easiest crossing is from Chiang Kong to Huay Xai. You only need the motorcycle green book, in your name. Of course the usual passport and VOA must be done.

In Chiang Kong you must first go to the Customs house in town and they will complete the paperwork for you. Then you must go to Immigration (also in town, not at the Ferry Crossing) and complete their paperwork. Now you are free to head to the ferry dock and do your exit stamp at Immigration and turn a copy of your paperwork to Customs at the dock.

Once in Hauy Xai, go to Customs at the Ferry landing (up on the hill, right side). They will do the paperwork. Then go to Immigration in town and do your visa or entry stamp.

If want to cross near Nong Khai/Vientiane; drive east from Nong Khai to Bungkan, approx 150km. Cross there to Paxan, Laos and back to Vientiane. Sorry, it's the nearest crossing.

As stated before, many details in the Laos Forum and trip reports on GT-Rider. :)