Thai Festival At Trafalgar Square

cuddleypete

Will any one be going

14 June 2008

12:00-20:00

A Thai festival at Trafalgar Square aims to get Londoners excited about Thai culture, cuisine, music, dance and the country itself with a one off day of amazing free events. Representing both modern and classical Thailand, the Thai festival at Trafalgar Square will bring market stalls, live performances and the colour and vibrance of a Thai village into the heart of the city.

Unlike the annual Thai Festival at Battersea Park, the Trafalgar Square event will introduce people to the arts, design and fashion of Thailand, along with giving people the chance to sample delicious Thai style cuisine. Focusing on the fusion of modern and traditional elements of the culture from Thailand, the Thai festival at Trafalgar Square is sure to be another fantastic addition to the calender of free events held there.

A jazz concert, a traditional drum medley and a contemporary style folk dance are just some of the delights you can expect during the Thai festival at Trafalgar Square, as the four regions of the country are represented with energetic live music and unusual dancing. Dramatic traditional Thai dance performances will also take place during the festival, with the classical battle between Tosaka and Rama being shown as a grand masked drama.

For everyone who associates Thailand with fantastic martial arts displays, you will not be disappointed as the Thai martial arts medley shows off the skill and precision of Thai boxing, and fighting with swords, spears and batons, while the stunning fire breathers perform against a backdrop from the epic Thai film, Suriyothai.

You can also get a real (and literal) taste for Thai culture and cuisine with the Thai festival at Trafalgar Square as the traditional market stalls will be selling their unusual wares throughout the day. Food, drink, fruits and flowers, arts, crafts and fashion will all be available on the day, along with the chance to check out the chicest resorts and most wonderful locations for anyone who fancies heading to Thailand for real.

A full on vibrant celebration of the colour and flavour of a unique country, the Thai festival at Trafalgar Square takes place from 12pm on Saturday 14th June 2008.

A full on vibrant celebration of the colour and flavour of a unique country, the Thai festival at Trafalgar Square takes place from 12pm on Saturday 14th June 2008.

I know it is not 1st April, but should this read DID anyone go ?

I went last year and quite enjoyed it. The stage show was a bit tiresome, but the food and general ambiance was nice. Taking durian to work wasn't a smart move though.

Was much better than the Battersea rip off.

Had a smashing time there last year ...weather great ,music hot, lots of local talent ...and the booze was ice cold....but guess wot I fly back from bangers on the same day....arggg otherwise... :)

Anyone going to the Anglo Thai meeting at the H of L on the Monday (16th )night?...should be good :D

There is also the annual event at Secretts in Milford too. Supposed to be a nice day out.

http://www.secretts.co.uk/events.htm

The problem I found with the Trafalgar sq event was the lack of covered areas to sit & eat or just relax & no toilets. The Battersea park festival has much better location & amenities imo. It's ok for a drop in & have a wander for an hour but no good if you are going to actually have to do serious travel to get there.

Battersea is usually every other year so this year, probably not. Last year was glorious though, the weather was amazing & the food top notch. We were there from 10am till I had to get the baby to bed at 7pm, so we are def going next year. My husband spent 50 gbp on food & singha for him alone :D

Previous years were beset with poor weather & disorgaisation but last year they seemed to have it all together. :)

The Trafalgar square one, they did have notices last year saying they wanted to make it annual but it does seem to be similar to the one in Regents park so possibly they decided to find an alternate venue?! http://www.tastefestivals.com/london/featu...f-thailand.html

Went to the Chinese festival at Trafalgar Square a couple of years ago. The large crowds and the stage being too far away spoilt it so didn't stay long. Don't know if the Thai one has the same kind of set up there.

• 2 years later...

In preperation did they kick a dozen bins over, smash the pavements up and drape power cables between the lamp posts, and get the white helmets in Thai garb to recreate the Thai auomotive ambience.

toddyt - good question, have you tried searching outside Thai Visa, only a suggestion!

Richbv.......I'm not sure where you hang out, in Thailand, or the rest of the world, but your special services posts must have been very special!

There is no event in Trafalgar square this year(2011), but there are plenty of others around the UK, including the popular biennial event at Secretts in Milford, Surrey over the August bank holiday weekend.

See Thai events in the UK for more details of when and where.

Hi 7by7 - it looks like we're on the same wavelength attempting to assist the recent poster! :jap:

toddyt

Looks like no Trafalgar Square or Battersea Park this year - but this should be good! The Wimbledon temple is good for a day out of chaotic central London - but too small for an event!

http://www.tasteofthai.co.uk/page/thaievent.html

Enjoy!

There is no event in Trafalgar square this year(2011), but there are plenty of others around the UK, including the popular biennial event at Secretts in Milford, Surrey over the August bank holiday weekend.

See Thai events in the UK for more details of when and where.

It's the weekend after next 11/12 June! The site specifically states that no Trafalgar Square or Battersea park events in 2011!

Think there is some confusion here. Anyway, the event takes place at Wimbledon Athletics Track not the Thai Temple. I'll give it a miss, don't do south of the river.

In preperation did they kick a dozen bins over, smash the pavements up and drape power cables between the lamp posts, and get the white helmets in Thai garb to recreate the Thai auomotive ambience.

you forgot the fuc_king massive speakers and really annoying MCs.

you forgot the fuc_king massive speakers and really annoying MCs.

I forgot about that. :D No real Thai festival is complete without a selection of terrible noise blasting from speakers from every direction. I wonder if they got a pack of particularly mankie dogs to wander around by the food stalls too. :lol: