Time For New Glasses

phetaroi

I went back in the archives and found posts about this, but when I mentioned the recommendations to my SO there was a quizzical look and a why would you go to an eye hospital for a regular eye exam. So for clarification --

It appears that many think the best place to have a thorough and professional eye exam in Bangkok is the Rutnin Eye Hospital.

Then take the prescription to one of the Top Charoen Optical shops for the glasses themselves.

Thoughts?

Accuracy and vision health overrides price.

In my opinion Rutnin Eye Hospital are fantastic.

Last month I purchased new glasses from Top Charoen, they did the eye test.

When I received the new glasses after a few days I noticed my right eye vision was blurred so I decided to go to Rutnin Eye Hospital for an eye test. (No appointment necessary and very quick)

They tested my eyes with three different machines in three different rooms and then I seen the Optometrist. (Cost 800 Baht)

It turned out I have double vision in the right eye.

They gave me the script at the shop in the lobby area.

I checked the price for the new lenses and they were 6,000 Baht cheaper than Top Cheroen. IE: For the lenses I needed Top Charoen 10,500 Baht Rutnin Eye Hospital 4,500 Baht.

The frames at Rutnin Eye Hospital were far more expensive than Top Charoen.

In round up, buy your frames from Top Charoen or any shop around Bangkok and then head for Rutnin Eye Hospital for the test and purchase the lenses from them.

You won’t go wrong.

Cheers,

Bob

PS: The new lenses are fantastic.

I went back in the archives and found posts about this, but when I mentioned the recommendations to my SO there was a quizzical look and a why would you go to an eye hospital for a regular eye exam. So for clarification --

It appears that many think the best place to have a thorough and professional eye exam in Bangkok is the Rutnin Eye Hospital.

Then take the prescription to one of the Top Charoen Optical shops for the glasses themselves.

Thoughts?

I've worned glasses for 50 years, all the pairs cut in thailand were problematic, I've tried various shops and something about Thai accuracy that they can't get the centering correct (which makes you dizzy)- they do stupid things like taking the centering measurements off the old frames to be used on a new ones etc.!, this part of the process happens at the shop and not at the hospital, also it was difficult to choose frames, they tend to stock brandnames frames of smaller sizes that fits thai faces and not the wider size ones.

Best results in my lifetimes were from Vancouver, B.C., Hong Kong and Singapore.

.. the range of new generation plastic lenses in Vancouver was amazing - it's about coatings,

My current "light weight" titanium frames have lasted 8 years of daily wear and have have not distorted out of shape

Thoughts?

Yes, I can confirm.

Rutnin for the test. Even the Royals go there. Paid 180 Baht and it took 45 min.

Demand your test results.

They are reluctant to hand it over

and the will guide you immediately after the test in the glasses department expecting you to purchase your glasses there.

For the optitcal shop I can recommend Washington Optical in the Amarin Plaza (Chitlom) 1st Floor in the rear.

Very professional, friendly, polite and they really know their business. They run a very professional eye test as well.

If you buy glasses, the test is free.

Selection for frames are not huge, but sure you will find something suitable.

Forget Top Charoen if you are serious about your eyes.