Thai Patience

Savage

Hold on a minute.

Most of these t***s are from countries where xenophobia is rife.

They fundamentally believe that their countries are getting run over by "xyz" people and so feel that it's OK to trash others'.

I'm definitely not condoning their behaviour, but to put it in such simplistic terms as some have posted here is just missing the point.

How would you expect a Thai person to react in the UK when they're out in the West End, seeing drunkenness, discussions re politics etc that they're definitely not encouraged to do here.

Would that Thai person say something?

Thats why I think we all need to be on our best behaviour, the odd hit out isn't a bad thing though.

EXACTLY:

Imagine the scenario. Dave, Darren and Chav get back from their holiday in Pattaya having had a great time and catch the train back to Redhill to return to their work. All is not as it seems though because their girlfriends, Shaz, Mel and Melody have run of with 3 Japanese tourists. In fact all the girls from their estate and the next have all gone off to work in Brighton the new resort town set up to satisfy Japanese soldiers on RNR. They decide to go and check it out and find their ladies naked on a bar top surrounded by hordes of drunken tourists from Japan, Thailand and Burma of all places.

I can imagine the reaction this situation would provoke even if it is utter rubbish

In my view Pattaya wants those tourists there, as does Tenerife and Majorca. On my last visit, every bar in certain areas seemed to be adorned with nothing but football memorabilia. If Pattaya wants to discourage that type of tourist, it is not doing very well at it, in my view.

Hold on a minute.

Most of these t***s are from countries where xenophobia is rife.

They fundamentally believe that their countries are getting run over by "xyz" people and so feel that it's OK to trash others'.

I'm definitely not condoning their behaviour, but to put it in such simplistic terms as some have posted here is just missing the point.

How would you expect a Thai person to react in the UK when they're out in the West End, seeing drunkenness, discussions re politics etc that they're definitely not encouraged to do here.

Would that Thai person say something?

Thats why I think we all need to be on our best behaviour, the odd hit out isn't a bad thing though.

EXACTLY:

Imagine the scenario. Dave, Darren and Chav get back from their holiday in Pattaya having had a great time and catch the train back to Redhill to return to their work. All is not as it seems though because their girlfriends, Shaz, Mel and Melody have run of with 3 Japanese tourists. In fact all the girls from their estate and the next have all gone off to work in Brighton the new resort town set up to satisfy Japanese soldiers on RNR. They decide to go and check it out and find their ladies naked on a bar top surrounded by hordes of drunken tourists from Japan, Thailand and Burma of all places.

I can imagine the reaction this situation would provoke even if it is utter rubbish

And the Japs, Thais and Burmese keep mumbling what a racist country this is!

and thinking at the same time that they're soooo superior, those stupid brits having an IQ that's at least ten percent less than the world's average...

I would somehow guess that as long as there seem to be plenty of Thais willing to date older farang (and older Thais, for that matter- let's not forget about them) that Thai patience will manage to hang on, somehow. :o

It may be easier to spot farang rudeness or social difference in Thailand, but as usual, everyone should remember that, statistically- the majority of people in Thailand who commit crimes, who are rude, who commit social improprieties- ARE IN FACT THAI. The laws were written for them, you must recall, and we play by the same rules. If it helps balance your perspective, try walking around assuming that all older Thai men with younger Thai men or women are johns with prostitutes (as indeed some of them are). On second thought, why don't you just assume all the farang with younger people are somehow related to them innocently (as many of them must be)?

Equally, the majority of people here who are law-abiding, kind, and angelic, are *also* Thai. By statistical inevitability.

"Steven"

And you didnt call the boys in brown....or at least get someone else to call them...

They probably wouldn't have done anything. Imagine it. They would have just asked the girl how old she was, she would show a doctored ID card, and I'd look stupid.

So you did nothing because you may have looked stupid.....Dont you think that the cops would know a doctored ID from a real one and also they would have a fair estimate of the girls age.....could be they were illegally in the country. Of course the coppers couldnt check it out because nobody called them.

This may be the right point to relate a recent story- me and the bf go to a movie. Opening ads roll for the movie- including one public service type ad where these guys are peddling a bicycle desperately down the road- where? To the police! Why? Cut to an image of hoodlums breaking up their home. Shortly after, a truck comes down the road with the hoodlums, caught and on the way to jail.

The bf's reaction?

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!"

Better a few thousand well-to-do tourists with money staying a few weeks than having 10 million destitute illegal aliens from south of the border coming in and getting free medical care and stealing cars and setting up gang territories.

"10 million destitute illegal aliens from south of the border" ..... which border?

OH, the YANK/MEX border.

<deleted> does that have to do with Thailand?

It is not easy, a police friend told me. When older foreigners take a room in a hotel together with a rather young Thai girl, they (the police) might get a phone call.

When an older Thai men takes a room in a hotel with a rather young Thai girl the staff will think that she is his daughter.

I think Pattaya is a special part of Thailand.

It would be nice if foreigners would behave in a more appropriate way when they visit average Thai towns. Do as Thai people do.

... I'm not saying that all Thai's think this way but I can tell you that EVERYBODY that saw this particular instance were to put it mildly shocked. It would have left an impression and I would like to guess not a good one ...

I'm just saying lets try to put ourselves in their boots. How would you feel if your girlfriend left you for a man twice your age? What would it do to your pride? Would it perhaps bring resentment? Of course!

hope the elastic doesn't snap soon.

The only problem was that everybody saw this in the open air of a shopping mall, rather than in a cloistered bar or sex venue where this takes place among Thai men every day.

Put ourselves in their boots? Mia nois, underage sex, and age gaps of 10-20 years are the norm here. It's only a problem when farang does it. Actually, farang is the cause of all problems here.

I would somehow guess that as long as there seem to be plenty of Thais willing to date older farang (and older Thais, for that matter- let's not forget about them) that Thai patience will manage to hang on, somehow.   :o

It may be easier to spot farang rudeness or social difference in Thailand, but as usual, everyone should remember that, statistically- the majority of people in Thailand who commit crimes, who are rude, who commit social improprieties-  ARE IN FACT THAI.  The laws were written for them, you must recall, and we play by the same rules. 

Equally, the majority of people here who are law-abiding, kind, and angelic, are *also* Thai.  By statistical inevitability.

"Steven"

Yeah. Except that the same rules do not apply for farangs and Thais, as evidenced by the abundant double-standards.

It is not easy, a police friend told me. When older foreigners take a room in a hotel together with a rather young Thai girl, they (the police) might get a phone call.

When an older Thai men takes a room in a hotel with a rather young Thai girl the staff will think that she is his daughter.

Yes, of course. And it is taboo in Thai culture to intervene in family affairs, including pedophila, and especially when it is the father.

And the police? What a joke. They are major stakeholders and perpetrators of sexual abuse and trafficking.

Edited by kat

It seems to me that over the last few years the attitude of the locals towards foreign people in Thailand has taken a turn for the worse.

Maybe in the armpit of Thailand - Pattaya, but not evidenced elsewhere.

Never saw a bit of it from Sisaket to Suphanburi to Bangkok.

A lot of lost gringos wandering around JJ Market getting curious stares but that's all I ever see... :o

Boon- he's full of it. Thai(s) in Pattaya treat farang same way as anywhere else in Thailand. Most of the locals go out their way to give kindness and respect - course you'll get the curious stares - I've done that on occassion too! There is the odd exception, but you get that eveywhere. Actually to be quite honest I've seen more evil looks from other farang towards the described scenario instead of thai(s).

Edited by britmaveric

Boon- he's full of it. Thai(s) in Pattaya treat farang same way as anywhere else in Thailand. Most of the locals go out their way to give kindness and respect - course you'll get the curious stares - I've done that on occassion too! There is the odd exception, but you get that eveywhere.  Actually to be quite honest I've seen more evil looks from other farang towards the described scenario instead of thai(s).

How true Brit. :o

It seems to me that over the last few years the attitude of the locals towards foreign people in Thailand has taken a turn for the worse.

In alot of respects I can see why, Pattaya with its hordes of drunken Football louts acting without any care for the local sensitivities would be a good place to start.

Or how about the middle aged man in Emporium holding on the hand of a girl that looked so young it was border line pedophilia. The girl was dancing around him like she was on a stage to the obvious horror of everybody around Thai and foreign.

I believe that it's this sort of bad behaviour that is tainting everybody with the same brush, the attitude that we as white male westerners can enter another persons environment and culture without due care and respect and act with impunity as and how we like.

It doesn't work like that, every action has a reaction and the more people act like this the further it will drive us away from the locals. It is already plain and clear to see. I wonder how long it will be before we hear openly resentful comments on the street.

The vast majority of people act as fine ambassadors for their cultures and parts of the worlds but it seems that we will all have to suffer because of the actions of a few mindless idiots.

Shame on them.

I can definitely relate to what you're saying. But, as with everywhere, people have to start distinguishing between people, rather than skin colors or cultural backgrounds. It takes education and motivation. In homogenous societies, there generally isn't much motivation. But yes, I do wholeheartedly agtree with your point that there is responsibility on both sides.

I fully agree..it's a double edged sword

I thought we'd witness a bit of a backlash after that German prick infected all those girls knowingly with HIV - it didn't happen.

Then there was all the assistance from the Thais during the Tsunami - who could possibly forget that?

Patience wearing thin, just over the odd farang spectacle? Nah, I doubt it...

:o I'm amazed that anyone still believes that story... and I'd guess one of the reasons there was no backlash is that most Thais have more common sense than many Thaivisa posters.

It's so bad it's like something at the start of a joke... "Have you heard about the one-legged German man who infected 500 Thai high school girls with HIV...?"

Get a grip on reality.

"Steven"

:o  I'm amazed that anyone still believes that story...  and I'd guess one of the reasons there was no backlash is that most Thais have more common sense than many Thaivisa posters.

It's so bad it's like something at the start of a joke... "Have you heard about the one-legged German man who infected 500 Thai high school girls with HIV...?"

Get a grip on reality.

"Steven"

Eh? :D

Well in touch with reality geez...