Thai Patience

Savage

It seems to me that over the last few years the attitude of the locals towards foreign people in Thailand has taken a turn for the worse.

In alot of respects I can see why, Pattaya with its hordes of drunken Football louts acting without any care for the local sensitivities would be a good place to start.

Or how about the middle aged man in Emporium holding on the hand of a girl that looked so young it was border line pedophilia. The girl was dancing around him like she was on a stage to the obvious horror of everybody around Thai and foreign.

I believe that it's this sort of bad behaviour that is tainting everybody with the same brush, the attitude that we as white male westerners can enter another persons environment and culture without due care and respect and act with impunity as and how we like.

It doesn't work like that, every action has a reaction and the more people act like this the further it will drive us away from the locals. It is already plain and clear to see. I wonder how long it will be before we hear openly resentful comments on the street.

The vast majority of people act as fine ambassadors for their cultures and parts of the worlds but it seems that we will all have to suffer because of the actions of a few mindless idiots.

Shame on them.

'Tourist Fatigue' is nothing new. Its not just a Thai thing trust me!

I don't see it as tourist fatigue but as a case of the locals simply having had enough of westerners :D

as you point out, with a lot of good reason.

Correct... shame on them. :o

The only saving grace some of us have is to let the Thais see the disgust on your face too... at least then you won't be "tarred with the same brush".

:D

If the Brits had an equivalent situation they would have resorted to violence a long time ago.

'Tourist Fatigue' is nothing new. Its not just a Thai thing trust me!

I don't see it as tourist fatigue but as a case of the locals simply having had enough of westerners :D

as you point out, with a lot of good reason.

Correct... shame on them. :o

The only saving grace some of us have is to let the Thais see the disgust on your face too... at least then you won't be "tarred with the same brush".

:D

This time of year, being the end nearly of the high season, is probably when you will notice it most. Come July or August when they haven't been dealing with the hordes like they have the past few months you'll see many them being a bit more relaxed. Right now they've been dealing with them all winter. Its the same in any tourism/resort area.

cv

It seems to me that over the last few years the attitude of the locals towards foreign people in Thailand has taken a turn for the worse.

In alot of respects I can see why, Pattaya with its hordes of drunken Football louts acting without any care for the local sensitivities would be a good place to start.

Or how about the middle aged man in Emporium holding on the hand of a girl that looked so young it was border line pedophilia. The girl was dancing around him like she was on a stage to the obvious horror of everybody around Thai and foreign.

I believe that it's this sort of bad behaviour that is tainting everybody with the same brush, the attitude that we as white male westerners can enter another persons environment and culture without due care and respect and act with impunity as and how we like.

It doesn't work like that, every action has a reaction and the more people act like this the further it will drive us away from the locals. It is already plain and clear to see. I wonder how long it will be before we hear openly resentful comments on the street.

The vast majority of people act as fine ambassadors for their cultures and parts of the worlds but it seems that we will all have to suffer because of the actions of a few mindless idiots.

Shame on them.

I can definitely relate to what you're saying. But, as with everywhere, people have to start distinguishing between people, rather than skin colors or cultural backgrounds. It takes education and motivation. In homogenous societies, there generally isn't much motivation. But yes, I do wholeheartedly agtree with your point that there is responsibility on both sides.

Edited by kat

Lager louts ...well to do tourists. :o

They should stay in majorca or wherever it is they came from.

Thailand as a destination for the working class pommy who wants to behave like he does in Leeds or Manchester....who needs them,and their childish machismo ,still they can get pissed and laid here for a fraction of what they wld pay in the uk for some really ugly od slapper and they cant believe their luck,better than the spanish ladyboys!.

The old pervert with young girl ....well you see that in most se asian countries ,Brazil,etc.....its their choice ..what about Donald Trump?

Rant rant rave rave,but I for one am sick of their animalistic behaviour.

Shame on them.

I can definitely relate to what you're saying. But, as with everywhere, people have to start distinguishing between people, rather than skin colors or cultural backgrounds. It takes education and motivation. In homogenous societies, there generally isn't much motivation. But yes, I do wholeheartedly agtree with your point that there is responsibility on both sides.

It seems to me that over the last few years the attitude of the locals towards foreign people in Thailand has taken a turn for the worse.......

Shame on them.

well I haven't noticed that it's got worse, but I do agree about acting and behaving responsibly.

but then - who and how many of those you wanna shame would read this thread and of those who would - give any fart? yeah, at least if those who do read it try to behave - it would help a bit. hopefully this thread would be such a help for improving image of an ugly farang.

..could have been his daughter. Fathers do hold the hands of daughters.

a girl that looked so young it was border line pedophilia

Last night in full view of everyone at the Suda Restaurant on Sukhumvit 14 was a older bargirl peddling a girl who was clearly about 13 / 14 to three middle aged German men. I was earwigging and heard the older lady tell the girl that she would be going to Samui and Pattaya with them. What was apparent though was the fact that the girl look like a weathered prostitute already so it was clear what she was. Shame.

a girl that looked so young it was border line pedophilia

Last night in full view of everyone at the Suda Restaurant on Sukhumvit 14 was a older bargirl peddling a girl who was clearly about 13 / 14 to three middle aged German men. I was earwigging and heard the older lady tell the girl that she would be going to Samui and Pattaya with them. What was apparent though was the fact that the girl look like a weathered prostitute already so it was clear what she was. Shame.

And you didnt call the boys in brown....or at least get someone else to call them...

He who does nothing is as bad as the person offending

Shame on them.

Personally I havent experienced or seen this.....

And you didnt call the boys in brown....or at least get someone else to call them...

They probably wouldn't have done anything. Imagine it. They would have just asked the girl how old she was, she would show a doctored ID card, and I'd look stupid.

Far too judgemental in my eyes... I'm amused by the above scenario. I find it pretty blo*dy entertaining going to the Big C or Mike's and just watching so to speak. (better than thai tv) Apart from the entertainment value of a fossel with a 20smth lady, I'd care less what he is up to as long as he's not breaking any laws. He's contributing to the local economy and making the lady some much needed dosh.

DJ Pat - hmmm you can guage ages that easy with asian ladies? I find it pretty da*n hard to tell.

Edited by britmaveric

Pattaya seems to actively encourage this type of tourist. Its the kind of holiday working class lads are looking for, and they are very easily seperated from their holiday pay which is what the locals are looking for.

Hold on a minute.

Most of these t***s are from countries where xenophobia is rife.

They fundamentally believe that their countries are getting run over by "xyz" people and so feel that it's OK to trash others'.

I'm definitely not condoning their behaviour, but to put it in such simplistic terms as some have posted here is just missing the point.

How would you expect a Thai person to react in the UK when they're out in the West End, seeing drunkenness, discussions re politics etc that they're definitely not encouraged to do here.

Would that Thai person say something?

Hold on a minute.

They fundamentally believe that their countries are getting run over by "xyz" people and so feel that it's OK to trash others'.

I'm definitely not condoning their behaviour, but to put it in such simplistic terms as some have posted here is just missing the point.

How would you expect a Thai person to react in the UK when they're out in the West End, seeing drunkenness, discussions re politics etc that they're definitely not encouraged to do here.

Thats why I think we all need to be on our best behaviour, the odd hit out isn't a bad thing though.

..could have been his daughter. Fathers do hold the hands of daughters.

And let them dress up as a bar girl and pinch their arse?

Hold on a minute.

Thats why I think we all need to be on our best behaviour, the odd hit out isn't a bad thing though.

EXACTLY:

Imagine the scenario. Dave, Darren and Chav get back from their holiday in Pattaya having had a great time and catch the train back to Redhill to return to their work. All is not as it seems though because their girlfriends, Shaz, Mel and Melody have run of with 3 Japanese tourists. In fact all the girls from their estate and the next have all gone off to work in Brighton the new resort town set up to satisfy Japanese soldiers on RNR. They decide to go and check it out and find their ladies naked on a bar top surrounded by hordes of drunken tourists from Japan, Thailand and Burma of all places.

I can imagine the reaction this situation would provoke even if it is utter rubbish

Hold on a minute.

EXACTLY:

Imagine the scenario. Dave, Darren and Chav get back from their holiday in Pattaya having had a great time and catch the train back to Redhill to return to their work. All is not as it seems though because their girlfriends, Shaz, Mel and Melody have run of with 3 Japanese tourists. In fact all the girls from their estate and the next have all gone off to work in Brighton the new resort town set up to satisfy Japanese soldiers on RNR. They decide to go and check it out and find their ladies naked on a bar top surrounded by hordes of drunken tourists from Japan, Thailand and Burma of all places.

I can imagine the reaction this situation would provoke even if it is utter rubbish

That puts it into perspective :o

^I think Moog is wise to point out that assumptions lead to mistakes. Give people the benefit of the doubt before scowling at them and making them feel ashamed to go out as a family, for example.

I often have this feeling :o when people start talking about "borderline pedophilia." If it's legal, it's legal- it may not be to everyone's tastes, but it's nobody's business but the couple's. Otherwise you start getting into this "how many years should there REALLY be between the age of the older partner and younger partner" BS and I doubt there are that many people on this forum for whom that number would be low enough to avoid raising eyebrows in the hypocritical west anyway. Hypocrisy, or jealousy?

Or is it that some of the posters on this thread have begun internalizing the Thai class system and somehow think that they are better than these other people or know better than the couple themselves whether or not they should be together? Maybe the same posters who might object to being treated as "lower" because of being farang or not being part of the rich elite?

Glass houses and stones, people.

"Steven"

I must admit I get a much better reaction from Thai folk when I am out with my wife and daughter than just out with my wife alone.

Speaking of the Thai class system, I think this situation above is a good example of how the Thais observe, then categorise the people they see, be they falung or Thai.

Hold on a minute.

EXACTLY:

And the Japs, Thais and Burmese keep mumbling what a racist country this is!

If people wish to date/wed people that are half their age that is of course their own decision and I see people like this everyday without blinking an eyelid. I would never judge these people for being in love.... BUT

If we can't see that a 50/60 year old man walking around with a girl that barely looks 15 in a tank top, a skirt that barely covers her arse and moon boots (for christs sake!!!) looks mildly ridiculous then we are never going to understand why the Thai's might come to the point of thinking we are idiots at best. I'm not saying that all Thai's think this way but I can tell you that EVERYBODY that saw this particular instance were to put it mildly shocked. It would have left an impression and I would like to guess not a good one.

I'm just saying lets try to put ourselves in their boots. How would you feel if your girlfriend left you for a man twice your age? What would it do to your pride? Would it perhaps bring resentment? Of course!

Ok the above is just one of many things.

When Thai's go swimming in the sea how do the females dress? I would say that over 90-95% would be in a baggy t-shirt and shorts. I would then assertain that this is what the locals perceive to be tasteful.

So why do so many westerners go in just a thong?

This might not lead to resentment as such but what would it lead to the locals thinking about Western women? Specially in the South where the majority of the people are practicing muslims.

And then the beer guzzling football fans that come and use Pattaya as their fantasy land. I need say nothing about these people as they speak for themselves.

The Thai's as we all know are a very tolerant bunch but there are limits and they will be stretched and are. I just hope the elastic doesn't snap soon.

:o