Microsoft Compatible Netbeui

Richard-BKK

How compatible will Windows 7 be with Microsoft, one of Microsoft's once power points against the rest of networking was NetBEUI, which is basically similar in many ways to AppleTalk and IPX, not have to think long how they get there inspiration, but it has historically been used primarily by IBM and Microsoft as the basis for networking in DOS, Windows, and Os/2.

Now for reasons I hope I not need to explain, Microsoft keeps this compatibility in its Windows 7, creating again a major security problem.

All the previous Linux kernel had not capability of accessing the NetBEUI stack, the current linux kernel 2.6 has not problem accessing it. And again this is opensource, and as most Linux users have no intention in harming Windows users, some people have and the source on how to do it opensource... even for NetBEUI which is a protocol which is not protected by many firewall.

How compatible will Windows 7 be with Microsoft, one of Microsoft's once power points against the rest of networking was NetBEUI, which is basically similar in many ways to AppleTalk and IPX,

I don't know about AppleTalk but IPX is routable - Netbeui isn't so they're not all that similar.

Okay, I will try to keep it acceptable simple...

NetBEUI, like AppleTalk and IPX, NetBeui was designed with small network in mind. In fact, NetBEUI is even more limited than its competing small-net-work protocols, because it's restricted to networks of just 256 computers (making guesswork a option.) NetBEUI uses computer names similar to TCP/IP hostnames, but there is no underlying numeric addressing system (flaw number one, anybody advanced enough can assume the name), as is true of TCP/IP. AppleTalk and IPX; NetBEUI uses the computers name directly. These names are two-tiered in nature, much like AppleTalk's names which include a computer name and a network zone name). NetBEUI calls its higher-order groupings 'workgroups or domains', depending upon whether a centralized computer exits to control logins (domains support this feature, but workgroups leave authentication to individual servers, which is known and therefore Windows 7 will tell a Hacker how to access the server or computer).

Again I can even show source code, but then I would break probably the nerves of the moderator, while I would not break or do anything illegal as this is all open source and free to access for all people

Who is this a security concern for? Surely not the average home user.

Some companies may be running ancient DOS or early Windows software that uses NetBEUI, but it's non routable as endure already stated, and is not installed by default in Windows 7.

Protecting NetBEUI via a firewall? You lost me there.

I think you need to put the juice down buddy.

Microsoft has with the introduction a long history of educating itself, but again they will depend for better security on third parties.

Sorry, of-course, I also need to keep an open-mind, therefore... Maybe you can instruct people how to absolute close the NetBeui protocol without losing any of the Windows connectivity possibilities

Edited by Richard-BKK

Who is this a security concern for? Surely not the average home user.

Some companies may be running ancient DOS or early Windows software that uses NetBEUI, but it's non routable as endure already stated, and is not installed by default in Windows 7.

The last O/S that installed it by default was Windows 2000.

You probably right, are you, because Microsoft now calls is Windows Work Groups and etc etc a lot of the old protocol and function is still available.

By definition security doesn't get better if you start talking another language

Edited by Richard-BKK