Phuket Island Or Pattaya Beach

travelon

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can any one of you tell me

I am shortly visiting Thailand :)

What do you think is better option to visit in Thailand Phukhet Island or Pattaya Beach?? :D

If you want the beach Phuket, if you want somehting else, Pattaya.

Phuket by a long shot, although they're both a bit ott. Virtually anything available in Pattaya is in Phuket plus Phuket does have a bit of quality about it - beaches, hotels, (southern) women, variety of attractions are all better. Check the climate between central and south Thailand as the wet season hits at different times.

Sorry to hijack this post but if you were to live in Thailand for 1 year where would you choose:

- Bangkok

- Phuket

- Samui

- Chang Mai

- Pattaya/Jomtien

- Other

I've been to Thailand a few times but only for 2-3 weeks at a time. I'm shortly moving there for a year. I'll start in Bangkok as it's a place I know to a degree and have friends there. However I'm thinking after a couple of months it'd be nice to move elsewhere... but still undecided as to where! I'm sure I'll just go with the flow.

What do you think is better option to visit in Thailand Phukhet Island or Pattaya Beach?? :D

Phuket has it all, but life there costs more.

Anyway, there are different monsoon periods to check, if op cares about the weather.

Pattaya Beach? Sure, take swim in those polluted waters and see how sick you get.

As another poster has mentioned, if you are after the girls, Pattaya is probably better. If you want a zone for that kind of thing (Patong) but also want some nicer areas outside of the putty zone, Phuket is better.

Sorry to hijack this post but if you were to live in Thailand for 1 year where would you choose:

- Bangkok

- Phuket

- Samui

- Chang Mai

- Pattaya/Jomtien

- Other

I've been to Thailand a few times but only for 2-3 weeks at a time. I'm shortly moving there for a year. I'll start in Bangkok as it's a place I know to a degree and have friends there. However I'm thinking after a couple of months it'd be nice to move elsewhere... but still undecided as to where! I'm sure I'll just go with the flow.

There are so many variables, it depends on what it is that you want to do. To start with you might want to take the weather into consideration. November - April: Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai. May - October: Samui and the Eastern Seaboard.

If your a party animal then I guess the weather, or the time of year, isn't such a big factor. If you're into outdoor activities such as scuba diving, jungle trekking, rafting, etc., then it's better to take note of the above.

Enjoy.

Pattaya is MUCH CHEAPER!

neither.

+1

Actually, I second THIS quote :/

OP, if it's the beach you want, then try Trat/Koh Chang. Avoid Koh Samet, it's trashed.

If not, Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai's your best bet.

Edited by MJP

I much prefer Krabi to Phuket, but it all depends on what YOU want. In my estimation, Krabi offers a lot more for less money. There are some nice islands to explore, the beaches are relatively uncrowded and the water is warm and clean. The off shore islands like Phi Phi offer great snorkling with lots of marine life. Raleigh beach is a great place to visit with spectacular scenery. And, there still is a bit of night life.

There is lots more to Phuket than Patong beach. My main objection to Phuket is its comparible cost to other resort areas. It's even hard to find a cheap place to eat. However, there are less popular beaches than the Patong area. Night life is so so.

Pattaya is much cheaper than either Phuket or Krabi, and there is a LOT more night life. If you just want to sit on a beach it's okay but the water is polluted. If you want to swim you can go to Koh Larn island which is a 45 minute ferry ride for 40 baht return trip. There are so many hotel options in Pattaya it staggers the mind. You can get something for 400 baht a night, or go up to 5000 baht a night for 5 star.

- Bangkok

- Phuket

- Samui

- Chang Mai

- Pattaya/Jomtien

- Other

It all depends on what YOU like to do. Personally, I prefer Chiang Mai to the other places to live and just take visits to the beach areas. Chiang Mai is the ideal size city with all the urban living you can want, but not be overwhelmed by the size. You can check on it through the Chiang Mai forum.

For a beach area resort I prefer Krabi (Ao Nang beach) to the other choices, but Pattaya has a better night life... or day time life for that matter.

There are so many variables, it depends on what it is that you want to do. To start with you might want to take the weather into consideration. November - April: Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai. May - October: Samui and the Eastern Seaboard.

Second that.

Also Dec- April, it does not matter where you are.

Most definitely Phuket. The only reason to choose Pattaya over Phuket is if you are strictly after cheap women, as in less expensive bar scene. I'm not saying Pattaya isn't fun for a weekend getaway from Bangkok. It's easy and convenient and does offer some tourist activities plus great people watching. But if you are traveling from another country, I would choose Phuket. If you want to get away from the nightlife, pick one of the quieter beaches like Kata Beach. If you like Pattaya style nightlife, then Patong beach is where you want to go.

Edited by daveh

it depends on your wont and budget i guess. my experience is that phuket is noticeably more expensive than pattaya. it's also incredibly venal by comparison. tuktuk rides not to be had under 200 last time i was there (i spent 4months in los winter 2007/8).

i only ever go to phuket for the diving, and next time i'll go further upcoast to kao lak area anyway. pattaya has the advantage of being embedded in a thai hinterland and as such still has a little bit of the air of a thai city about it, rather than just a pure tourist entity. quite interesting in some ways. i also found that yes, money makes the world go round in pattaya as well as phuket. it's just that in pattaya i've always found people more laid back about it, as if everyone knows there's enough to go round so why get uptight. with very few exceptions, phuket is utterly venal in my experience - nothing they can't (over)charge for. just my experience.

i'll be trying the gulf west coast next year. hua hin, cha am, petchaburi. maybe rayong on the east coast as well. so there's a few new names to consider as well.

enjoy it wherever you go.

Edited by BusyB