Macbook Broken

easylife

The LCD screen on my macbook has stopes working, well not completely it is still visable but only

very faintly.

Basicly what happens is that when i powered up it was starting up as normal and then the screen

Flickered on and off for a couple of seconds then just went dim.

And yes I have tried adjusting the brightness, it's also well over the warranty period.

Ps. I did once read a thread about a shop repairing macs at pantip plaza, but I can not

find it as yet.

The LCD screen on my macbook has stopes working, well not completely it is still visable but only

very faintly.

Basicly what happens is that when i powered up it was starting up as normal and then the screen

And yes I have tried adjusting the brightness, it's also well over the warranty period.

Ps. I did once read a thread about a shop repairing macs at pantip plaza, but I can not

find it as yet.

There is an apple care repair shop in siam discovery on i think the 4th floor.

I had my macbook pro repaired there but i was under warranty, but i'm sure they can give you a quote.

very faintly.

find it as yet.

hi :-)

i'm not sure where you're posting from? bkk? cm?

in general... maybe you know yourself that thailand's "computer repair" service more often than not is... they just send stuff to manufacturer; in your case: apple.

you say there's no more warranty... --- so that'll make it expensive na ;)

i know a guy in chiang mai who fixes macbooks. i don't want to get into that... but if warranty is gone anyhow... who cares if results are fine na? nonetheless... if "apple-hardware" is involved --- he too comes to his limits.

a) it may very simply be a wiring problem. for me, it _sounds_ like one. so you'd just need a decent engineer to take machine apart & fixes that.

a.1) if it'd involve replacing "apple hardware"... you'd be back to -> apple shops.

B) if that decent engineer fails to resolve problem... --- imho, you should start to say good-bye to your macbook. i guess you'd can buy a monitor & you'd still be able to use it as a computer --- but things have their lifetime. & if things start to fall apart... esp after warranty time has run out... imho, it'd be wise... to start to look for new machine.

c) if you're lucky... it's just a wiring problem. you don't need an apple-technician to check that.

chok dee na khrap

iStudio are licensed Apple support partners - I've had a few items go duff under warranty swapped for free.

Hope you registered your machine online and still have the receipt of purchase.

Prepare for a huge bill.

I had my MacBook Pro screen replaced - it went out when it was just out of warranty. Cost BHT 20,000 to fix. The reason is that Apple authorized dealers will only get original parts from Apple, and in this case it was a replacement for the entire top lid, e.g. not just the LCD panel, or whatever part was broken. This is fine for warranty repairs but if you have to pay for it.... $$$$$.

I researched if maybe one of the repair shops can fix it but the ones in CM at least had no idea. They don't know anything about Apple machines, and at the time they also didn't have access to the LED LCD screens required.

I am pretty sure that my screen could have been fixed for a few thousand baht - maybe a new LCD panel, maybe some other part. The problem was just there were no knowledgeable people around that could attempt a cheap fix. The authorized dealer probably could - at least they are used to working on Macs - but they can't, they have to use original parts and follow the official procedures.

Moral of the story: Never buy a Mac without the optional 3 year warranty.

Come to think of it: There is a small Apple shop in Fortune Tower (?) in BKK, very nice guy who once sold me a used Power adapter. If anyone could do it it's probably him.

Edited by nikster

Thanks for all the replies and suggestion's I feel a whole lot better about the breakdown now.

I think it is probably time for a new machine, and a friend has the new macbook pro 17

And I must say looks like a taisty bit of kit, it's just that the price Tag makes me feel a

bit week at the knees.

As for my old MacBook I will give geting fixed a whirl next time I'm in the city, failing that I will

buy a 32 inch LCD and run it of that, there are some good deals about at the moment.

Cheers All.