Calling To Thailand

csdncer

I have a question on which calling card is best to use to call to Thailand from the States. I currently have a phone card that will allow me to call internationally, but whenever I try to call to Thailand I get a busy signal. It puzzles me beyond belief.

The number I am calling to is a cell phone number. He has always been the one who calls me and I am afraid I am using up his phone credits. Would it be cheaper for me to call from the States? Also, when he wrote down the number, it started with "01-", but the number I receive on my phone starts with "661-" which I assume is the international code for the country? In calling, do I use the "661" prefix?

I also assume that Thailand doesn't have free nights & weekends plans like in the States.

Onwards: Is it safe to pay for a calling card online before using it?

Another number after the "661"? When the number appears it is just 661+the number... with no "01" or "02" which is the country code. My current calling card tells me to dial "011", then the country code, then the home number. But I get a busy signal so I'm looking for another card which will call to a cell phone in Bangkok. :o

This is my first time calling overseas, so forgive my lack of phone knowledge.

66 is the country code for Thailand.

1 is the prefix for a series of cell phone numbers and is normally written now as 1xxx-xxxx (eight digit phone numbers)

011 is the normal prefix to call international from a US home phone supplier - not from a calling card. Cards normally provide an 800 number to call first.

So if you call from home phone it would be 011-66-1xxx-xxxx.

66 is the country code for Thailand.

1 is the prefix for a series of cell phone numbers and is normally written now as 1xxx-xxxx (eight digit phone numbers)

011 is the normal prefix to call international from a US home phone supplier - not from a calling card.  Cards normally provide an 800 number to call first.

So if you call from home phone it would be 011-66-1xxx-xxxx.

In addition - always drop 0 when you are calling outside thailand, add back 0 when you are internal.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know why one would get a busy signal when trying to call to a cell phone in Thailand from a cell phone from the States? It seems everytime I try to use a calling card, it gives me a busy signal. I've looking through the forum archives, but no solution. It is very frustrating :o

Am I doing something wrong? Could it be the sim/phone provider he has? Also, do most cellphones in Thailand charge for receival of SMS?

I dial 011-661-XXX-XXXX, btw.

Does anyone know why one would get a busy signal when trying to call to a cell phone in Thailand from a cell phone from the States?  It seems everytime I try to use a calling card, it gives me a busy signal.  I've looking through the forum archives, but no solution.  It is very frustrating  :o

Am I doing something wrong?  Could it be the sim/phone provider he has?  Also, do most cellphones in Thailand charge for receival of SMS?

I dial 011-661-XXX-XXXX, btw.

As someone stated earlier, you would normally dial an access number for the calling card, e.g. some tollfree US number and then enter an account number and finally dial the Thai number. It should make no difference where you are calling from in the US... if you reach the calling card system prompt, any further problems are because of the connection between the calling card service and the destination.

With cards I have used, the Thai number is entered the same way as a direct-dial from the US: 011 to get international, 66 country code, and then the Thai number but dropping the leading 0 that people use when dialing localling in Thailand. In otherwords, I would dial something like +1-866-xxx-xxxx from the calling card, enter a password, and then enter the sequence you gave 011-66-1-xxx-xxxx to a Thai mobile.

I have seen a calling card give strange circuit-busy errors and such during busy times of day or holidays, because they are overloading their ability to deliver calls to Thailand. I think hat's the price you pay for a cheap rate.

I did assume that it was probably due to the calling card system's inability to connect to the intended number. I dial through the toll free number alright with the PIN prompt, but never seem to connect. Funny thing is I can dial to Cambodia okay, but never the Thailand number.

I usually do dial at night here (early afternoon in Thailand), so I can see how the things can be busy. I will try again with a new calling card company. Thank you for the response. :o