2 Years Overstay,

My friend (and I mean my friend, not me) has been in Thailand for 5 years the last 2 of those on overstay, and an expired passport.

Recently I got in touch with his mother as she was worried about him, as she had not had contact with him for a while. Anyhow we got emailing, and she spoke about getting him back home to the UK, I suggested that he sorts his passport and overstay out and she pays for a flight. I mentioned what would happen if he got caught, she then asked me to bubble him to the police. I refused, since then she has been to the Home Office.

He has been told a few lies by his mum, so the contact is very minimal between us.

What would you do?

He should get another passport from the UK Embassy. Leave Thailand by Air and pay his 20,000 Baht fine at Airport Immigration before leaving.

What problems if any he will have getting another passport with an already expired one I do not know.

He is in violation of 2 rules. One is the passport the other the overstay.

He could could go to the embassy and get an emergency travel document that would allow him to go home. Get a ticket. Then go to the airport and pay the overstay fine of 20,000 baht on his way out.

she then asked me to bubble him to the police. I refused, since then

'Bubble' = bubble and squeak= 'speak'

Cockney rhyming slang.

I'm from London (west) and I had to Google to work this one out!

Wasn't cocknet rhyming slang 'invented' to avoid the Bow Street Runners (police), and help hide illegal activities around the docks (i.e. stealing)?

Anyway, I'm off up the apple and pears to 'av a Mo Chit... :)

she then asked me to bubble him to the police. I refused, since then

Cockney rhyming slang.

Wasn't cocknet rhyming slang 'invented' to avoid the Bow Street Runners (police), and help hide illegal activities around the docks (i.e. stealing)?

I just thought it meant to put a protective bubble around him or something like that. I didn't really think about it much until I saw your posts.

Its not really a case of if he gets caught its when, he might as well face it sooner rather than later and perhaps the overall penalties will be less harsh, for example they may allow him to re apply for another passport now but if he stays another 5 years before going home they may never let him have one again. I assume if his mother is so concerned about him, he is probably a relativly young man with a whole life ahead of him, hope he don't live to regret his decisions too much.

Anyhow time for a pony and trap lol

Edited by dougieboy

THB 20,000 maximum fine for overstay sounds an appealing solution for many people;

regarding the fact that otherwise, it's 500 per day and/or visarun costs.

But, I am quite certain, that some drastic changes are coming soon...

To the Op: expired passport is not a problem as soon as "your friend" has the money for the fine and one-way ticket back home.

If I understood the OP, beano2274, correctly his friend does not want to return to the UK. It’s his friend’s mother who wants him back and for this reason asked beano2274 to report his friend’s overstay to the police so that he would get arrested, detained, and after a court appearance deported if he can pay the fine and court fees and has a valid passport and a ticket out of Thailand.

--

Maestro

It's possible that he might have other (local) legal issues that make him think it's best to lay low for awhile. How has he been supporting himself during his stay in Thailand?

If I had some arrest warrant waiting for me at the airport, my mother (rest her soul) would be the last person that I'd want to know about it.

Cockney rhyming slang.

Get it right me old china,it's a Tom -Tit.

From a born and bred Cockney.

Get it right me old china,it's a Tom -Tit.

From a born and bred Cockney.

I think the poster, regarding 'av a Mo Chit', is trying to make light as he lives in Thailand and 'Mo Chit' is the bus station in BKK. So 'Mo Chit' rhymes with siht (anagram) . Edited by coventry