Residency Letter From Immigration

wildpikey

I needed one the over day when applying for a driving licence.

Immigration give you a form to fill out (name, address, passport number etc.), you need photocopies of your passport and they also needed to see and have copies of my wives house book (tambien bahn) and her ID card. If you don't have a thai partner I assume you will have to show some other proof of where you live (yellow book?).

It cost's 500 baht.

Hope that helps.

It has been a couple of years since i went to the immigration for a letter of residency, and they told me that Brits now had to go to the consulate to get one. It was over 2000 Baht if memory serves me right and was little more than 2 and a half lonely lines on a sheet of A4 :)

Hope it's changed again, as my 5 year license expires this year.

Good luck wildpikey and please keep the forum informed.

Aitch

Immigration give you a form to fill out (name, address, passport number etc.), you need photocopies of your passport and they also needed to see and have copies of my wives house book (tambien bahn) and her ID card. If you don't have a thai partner I assume you will have to show some other proof of where you live (yellow book?).

It cost's 500 baht.

Hope that helps.

I too needed one for licence .Went to immigration received forms ,all of above, used by wifes ID card and house book, no problem,500 baht,nice little earner for Immy , then back to Gov office for licence. I am an Australia Citizen and we only have honarary consul in CM

Immigration changed their rules about two years ago. Unless they've later canceled the changes they'll only issue a 'letter of residency' to foreigners (regardless of nationality) who are here on one-year-extensions. That might cause that different people have different experiences with respect to getting the paper in question from the Immigration office.

It cost's 500 baht.

Hope that helps.

I have never needed such a letter after I got my yellow tabien baan book. For example, used the yellow book to buy and register a car.

Did a residency letter last week. Need only one copy of passport,main picture, latest visa page and 'entrycard attached' page, wife's house book (signed by her)(no ID card needed) and copy of Chanote (my name's on the back) and 2 photos. There is a notice in window 5 at Chiang Mai immigration as to what you need. It indicated you need a copy of a rental agreement if you're renting. The staff spoke English and we're very helpful. Go ask if not sure. Took 10 mins to get in all, very slick.

regards Bojo

I had to have one and got it from N.Khai,s Udon sub branch at AEK at the time.

The now " more friendly " bespectacled male officer did it for me.

I was lucky to catch him in a good mood ( back then ) as he got the assistant to do the letter and he stamped it and signed it with no problem.

It took all of 15 mins max to provide.

He did it for nothing also, not even a satang changed hands.

I,m not sure of the charges now, but, all offices are usually different on this.

I,m more than happy to give credit where it is due.

Nice one

marshbags :)

Did a residency letter last week. Need only one copy of passport,main picture, latest visa page and 'entrycard attached' page, wife's house book (signed by her)(no ID card needed) and copy of Chanote (my name's on the back) and 2 photos. There is a notice in window 5 at Chiang Mai immigration as to what you need. It indicated you need a copy of a rental agreement if you're renting. The staff spoke English and we're very helpful. Go ask if not sure. Took 10 mins to get in all, very slick.

regards Bojo

I got mine from CM Immigration with a rental agreement, wife's info and consulate letter were not required. CM Immigration and Land

Transport office for car registration and drivers license are sooooo smoooth now. I did my 90 day notice in 10 minutes on a Friday morning, including the time to fill out the form. I lost my drivers license and got a replacement in one hour, no photos needed now, they take them and process the card while you wait. No more bars on the windows, open counter with friendly staff. Thank God for small blessings, life is getting easier here, or is it just me finally learning how to get it right the first time? don

regards Bojo

I got mine from CM Immigration with a rental agreement, wife's info and consulate letter were not required. CM Immigration and Land

Transport office for car registration and drivers license are sooooo smoooth now. I did my 90 day notice in 10 minutes on a Friday morning, including the time to fill out the form. I lost my drivers license and got a replacement in one hour, no photos needed now, they take them and process the card while you wait. No more bars on the windows, open counter with friendly staff. Thank God for small blessings, life is getting easier here, or is it just me finally learning how to get it right the first time? don

Ahh cool, that sounds like the go!! i never could quite understand what someones wife has got to do with some foreign guy getting a residency letter...

Also would seem like a royal pain in the arse trying to "borrow" the the house book from a landlord.

Ill give it a bash with the rental agreement anyway, seems its not such a pain actually going to find out. Ive had no experience with CM immigration as yet , but I know in BKK you woukld do virtually anything going to that horrible place!

Cheers. Ill go down monday and see, Ill post what i find out.

regards Bojo

Just for clarification, do you do 90 day reports?

regards Bojo

Ahh cool, that sounds like the go!! i never could quite understand what someones wife has got to do with some foreign guy getting a residency letter...

Also would seem like a royal pain in the arse trying to "borrow" the the house book from a landlord.

Ill give it a bash with the rental agreement anyway, seems its not such a pain actually going to find out. Ive had no experience with CM immigration as yet , but I know in BKK you woukld do virtually anything going to that horrible place!

Cheers. Ill go down monday and see, Ill post what i find out.

From the most current "Residence Certificate" worksheet, distributed at CM Imm:

At the top, quote: Acceptable for only one year visa: (Extension in Thailand)

Required Documents:

1. 2 color photos (1.5" X 2")

2. Copy of Passport:

-picture page

-visa extension limit

-arrival/departure card (TM card)

3. A copy of the house registration and a copy of the rental contract. (this should read "and/or", instead of "and")

4. A copy ID card of the owner and write certified of residence and signed by the owner. (mangled English; see translation below)

Unquote.

Here's the simple translation for the bad English and grammer.

You need the photos, and the passport copies. If you live in a house, copy of the house registration. If you lease the house, a copy of the rental agreement. Form letter with copy of ID from landlord. If you live in an apartment, or hotel, you need: a copy of your lease agreement, a form letter from the management of same stating that Mr. Farang lives at such and such an address (on letterhead paper preferred), and a copy front and back of the Thai national ID card of the person who signed the form letter. It doesn't have to be the "owner", a manager of an apt bldg or hotel is OK.

Hope this helps.

I've gotten several, no big deal.

I had one from my consulate (Finland) and it cost me 50 satang i believe... i had several other documents translated and stamped at the same time but I believe it was 0.5 baht per A4 ... took mak maakh I would say =)

It cost's 500 baht.

Hope that helps.

I need to get another Certificate of Residency from Immigration in order to purchase a car. The last time I got one was about a year ago. I think I needed to get it so that I could get a driver's license. Last time it was a very straightforward situation; copies of passport and copy of my rental contract along with 500 Baht - that was it. Had it in 15 minutes.

Now I see things people have posted like being asked for wife's papers and/or house registration, copy of owner's ID card, etc., etc.

Can anyone confirm if any of those documents are really required? Have the rules changed?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...

Got my Letter of Residence this week (15/7/2010) and paperwork as described above IS required.

Cost 500bht.

Needed to get two original letters, one for driving licence and another (copies not accepted) to buya car, but still a lot cheaper than the British Consulate.

It cost's 500 baht.

Hope that helps.

I have never needed such a letter after I got my yellow tabien baan book. For example, used the yellow book to buy and register a car.

These little yellow buggers are worth their weight in gold for this kind of thing.:D

I got one last week

Took

2 photos, photocopies of passport, rental agreement, tabien ban of rented house (signed by owner), ID card of landlord (signed), receipt for this months rent.

Don't know if they wanted it all, but it was accepted without question and the certificate issued, 500bht.

I'm pretty sure thay would accept almost anything, and just want the 500bht.

Edited by sarahsbloke

My experiences have been the same as others with regard to requirements, except -

In early June, the fee was 400 baht

In July, 500. (I expect the difference is for orphans.)

And I should note that the document, without regard to one's currency in reporting, or length of visa time, is only good for one month - so line up those tasks involving Land Transportation or pay again, and again and.... But one has to agree, Land Transportation office is user-friendly and sometimes runs films of crashes and drunken driving.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know what the form number is that is used by Immigration to Certify your Residence, if is the same form as the application and if so what is the application number???

Copy attached to response would be great or link to website. I saw two, TM18 and TM20 but they seemed a bit off point, as do many of Immigration forms they use, English translation is the culprit. See attached.

tm18.doc

tm20.doc

Edited by ProThaiExpat

Does anyone know what the form number is that is used by Immigration to Certify your Residence, if is the same form as the application and if so what is the application number???

Copy attached to response would be great or link to website. I saw two, TM18 and TM20 but they seemed a bit off point, as do many of Immigration forms they use, English translation is the culprit. See attached.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

Scroll down and it says "Application form for Residence Certificate in Thailand". You can download Word .doc or .pdf .

res_cert.pdf

res_cert.docx

MSPain